Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
‎’Awareness of’ is duality. Awareness is non dual.
01-26-2018, 04:00 AM
‎’Awareness of’ is duality. Awareness is non dual.
Quote: ‎’Awareness of’ is duality. Awareness is non dual. - Gilbert Schultz

Insightful article by enlightened master Gilbert Schultz on non-duality, where he gives clear and precise insights on the nature of non-conceptual Awareness or pure consciousness.

Gilbert Schultz is of the lineage of Nisargadatta Maharaj and Sailor Bob Adamson.

Nisargadatta Maharaj had stated in this context thus....

Awareness becomes consciousness when it has an object. The object changes all the time. In consciousness there is movement; awareness by itself is motionless and timeless, here and now.

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2018, 02:00 PM
RE: ‎’Awareness of’ is duality. Awareness is non dual.
(01-26-2018 04:00 AM)ajay0 Wrote:  Nisargadatta Maharaj had stated in this context thus....

Awareness becomes consciousness when it has an object. The object changes all the time. In consciousness there is movement; awareness by itself is motionless and timeless, here and now.
What are your thoughts on the above quote, ajay0?

Nisargadatta took a page from the Buddha's playbook and changed the terms a bit to fit his own ideas. What he calls "awareness" is chit as the Hindus call it. He differentiates awareness from consciousness, which is fine for those acquainted with his terminology exploits but can lead to some confusion in the grand scheme of things outside of his teachings. What he calls "consciousness" is akin to what we think of and experience as Mind. Awareness/Consciousness is the all-pervading background upon which the Mind proffers its content.

02-06-2018, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:59 PM by ajay0.)
(01-31-2018 02:00 PM)IMtM Wrote:  Nisargadatta took a page from the Buddha's playbook and changed the terms a bit to fit his own ideas.

I would say it is not his conceptual ideas but his actual perception of reality as it is after enlightenment.

(01-31-2018 02:00 PM)IMtM Wrote:  What he calls "awareness" is chit as the Hindus call it. He differentiates awareness from consciousness, which is fine for those acquainted with his terminology exploits but can lead to some confusion in the grand scheme of things outside of his teachings. What he calls "consciousness" is akin to what we think of and experience as Mind. Awareness/Consciousness is the all-pervading background upon which the Mind proffers its content.

Yeah, in some streams of Advaitan teachings, Consciousness or pure consciousness is used in place of Awareness, and terms like impure consciousness or mind (entangled in incessant thought, emoting, desires) is used to demarcate it from Consciousness (Awareness).

In other traditions,such as that of Nisargadatta's, Awareness is used instead, and Consciousness is used in the same context as the mind or unconsciousness.

(01-31-2018 02:00 PM)IMtM Wrote:  What are your thoughts on the above quote, ajay0?

In order to understand this better one can take Krishna's saying 'Equanimity of mind is yoga' into account...

Awareness, to put it correctly is pure consciousness, as opposed to impure consciousness synonymous with the mind.

Awareness for this reason is also stated as the state of witnessing (Sakshi-bhav) or no-mind or Self. ( The Self is considered the true self as opposed to the false psychological/conceptual self or unconscious ego which is generally identified with)

Awareness is synonymous with pure consciousness, as opposed to impure consciousness where Awareness or the Self is lost in or entangled with mental or psychological content of thoughts, desires, images, emotions and other mental modifications.

This state of impure consciousness is also termed as unconsciousness, or psychological/conceptual reality as opposed to existential reality ( reality as it is).

One's unconditioned or true nature is that of awareness, and not the transitory content what one's mind is producing each moment, in the form of thoughts, images, emotions, desires, conceptualisations which all have a beginning and an end.

Equanimity of mind is emphasized by Krishna in the Gita to ensure undistracted awareness, not affected by any mental modifications due to inner emotions or outer stimuli that may adversely lead to mental agitation or unconsciousness.

Another insightful and articulate saying of Nisargadatta for deeper understanding of this state of pure being...

“Awareness is primordial; it is the original state, beginningless, endless, uncaused, unsupported, without parts, without change. Consciousness is on contact, a reflection against a surface, a state of duality. There can be no consciousness without awareness, but there can be awareness without consciousness, as in deep sleep. Awareness is absolute, consciousness is relative to its content; consciousness is always of something. Consciousness is partial and changeful, awareness is total, changeless, calm and silent. And it is the common matrix of every experience.”
~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

02-06-2018, 06:27 PM
(02-06-2018 12:57 PM)ajay0 Wrote:  I would say it is not his conceptual ideas but his actual perception of reality as it is after enlightenment.
True. That's a good point, though it still can lead to some necessary pedantry to make clear which definition is meant when trying to compare them.

Quote:Yeah, in some streams of Advaitan teachings, Consciousness or pure consciousness is used in place of Awareness, and terms like impure consciousness or mind (entangled in incessant thought, emoting, desires) is used to demarcate it from Consciousness (Awareness).

In other traditions,such as that of Nisargadatta's, Awareness is used instead, and Consciousness is used in the same context as the mind or unconsciousness.
Like you said earlier, they are all just conceptual ideas without experience to back them up. Consciousness, awareness, nothing, silence, being, God, is-ness, cessation; all can be used and are meaningless unless they can help point towards experience, which really isn't "spiritual" (see?, I did it again) but mundane psychology.

02-10-2018, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2018 01:31 PM by ajay0.)
(02-06-2018 06:27 PM)IMtM Wrote:  True. That's a good point, though it still can lead to some necessary pedantry to make clear which definition is meant when trying to compare them.

If you can adhere to a certain tradition or set of teachings diligently till you comprehend it well, you can then cover other traditions easily as well, and discern the differences in terminology used accurately. This was true in my experience.

(02-06-2018 06:27 PM)IMtM Wrote:  Like you said earlier, they are all just conceptual ideas without experience to back them up. Consciousness, awareness, nothing, silence, being, God, is-ness, cessation; all can be used and are meaningless unless they can help point towards experience, which really isn't "spiritual" (see?, I did it again) but mundane psychology.

Yeah, this is just a conceptual framework to attain a nonconceptual state of being. It is the nonconceptual state of being within oneself that is important, not the words which are empty in itself and just serves a purpose. You can use the boat to get to the other shore, but that does not mean you need to carry the boat with you always.

As it says in the Bhagavad Gita:

As unnecessary as a well is
To a village on the banks of a river,
So unnecessary are all scriptures
To one who has attained the Truth. (2.46)

02-10-2018, 06:43 PM
(02-10-2018 01:24 PM)ajay0 Wrote:  If you can adhere to a certain tradition or set of teachings diligently till you comprehend it well, you can then cover other traditions easily as well, and discern the differences in terminology used accurately. This was true in my experience.
I'm more than capable of handling the superfluous terms. Trust me. I'm talking about when explaining things to others. Wink

Quote:Yeah, this is just a conceptual framework to attain a nonconceptual state of being. It is the nonconceptual state of being within oneself that is important, not the words which are empty in itself and just serves a purpose. You can use the boat to get to the other shore, but that does not mean you need to carry the boat with you always.

As it says in the Bhagavad Gita:

As unnecessary as a well is
To a village on the banks of a river,
So unnecessary are all scriptures
To one who has attained the Truth. (2.46)
You're funny. I can't argue with what you've said! Big Grin In fact, calling it "mundane psychology" as I did is just a concept. Even calling all thoughts concepts is a concept! Tongue The only way to correctly convey it is to NOT to...and even that's just a concept... I get it. Sabbe pi dukkha.

02-17-2018, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 01:34 PM by Visqueen.)
Hi, my name is burke and I'm a pathetic human being with nothing to do and because I have so much time on my hands all I can think to do is troll and spam a tiny little site on the net. I am to be pitied because I am such a waste of time, the space I take up both physically and here on this site, and the oxygen I breathe, hence depriving others actually worthy of making better use of that oxygen. I am a very sad small person with no power and I will apparently keep doing this because I am powerless in my actual life. I am a very pitiful creature, no doubt plagued by serious mental health issues which are not being addressed properly and I lash out the only way I can for free - spamming this small site.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  On Awareness-Proactivty and Unconsciousness-Ego-Reactivity ajay0 6 1,002 11-30-2012 06:20 AM
Last Post: kevlar

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)