Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15 things to never say to Atheists
09-28-2013, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 12:19 PM by shiverleaf15.)
15 things to never say to Atheists
There's a little video I saw today:

I just thought maybe you guys would like to comment on it. It's an Atheist explaining 15 questions that Atheists do not like to hear from Theists (like Christians) and I can see how they can be annoying.

Maybe you can even direct Theists to this when you feel they're doing exactly what this Atheist said they shouldn't do? Smile

Also if you guys have specific additions, I'd like to see those, I'm sure others would too.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2013, 06:39 PM
RE: 15 things to never say to Atheists
For some reason, the way this guy speaks implies that we are stupids, and we don't understand any better. I can't respect that

Click Here to know more about Islam
09-28-2013, 06:47 PM
I didnt see the whole video but I didnt see where he implies that. Can you say what made you think that?

Ištu dumqim amqut, u anaku anmiq
09-28-2013, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 06:52 PM by rocketboy9000.)
Three things I personally hear a lot and hate it:
"Of course you don't believe; you're openly gay/bi!"
There are openly gay Christians and Reform Jews, and many other religions simply do not have these laws. Admittedly the reason I was forced out of my attempt to become orthodox was because of my sexuality; but I have unrelated reasons not to become Reform or Christian.
"You're just rebelling against your parents."
My father is an agnostic atheist, so no, I'm not.
"Obviously you became an atheist, becuase your mother intermarried, and therefore you weren't raised religious."
This goes back to the deep-seated xenophobia in Orthodox Judaism. As a matter of fact I was raised religiously, said berachot over every meal, went to shul twice or even three times a week, and learned to actually read Hebrew for my bar mitzvah, instead of memorizing it like the Reform kids. This one annoys me quite a bit. They take one look at my last name and assume...
09-28-2013, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 10:30 PM by EqualAtheist.)
I have to say that I disagree with most of the video. I do not mind when theists say almost all of that stuff to me. While it can become annoying, the only way to break a stereotype, is for it to be brought up. I get what he is saying about most of that stuff, as it can become annoying, if they say it, you explain how they are wrong, and they keep saying it anyway. For example, if they ask why you are mad at God, and you explain that you are not, that you just do not believe in God, and thus can not be mad at what you do not believe exists, and they just repeat the question of why are you mad at God.
(09-28-2013 06:39 PM)KAYSER Wrote:  For some reason, the way this guy speaks implies that we are stupids, and we don't understand any better. I can't respect that

If you look at it from our point of view, much of the time, that is how it comes across to us. So much so, that when trying to break the stereotype about it, we form our own about others.

However, I did not get that from this video.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
09-28-2013, 11:31 PM
(09-28-2013 06:49 PM)rocketboy9000 Wrote:  Three things I personally hear a lot and hate it:
"Of course you don't believe; you're openly gay/bi!"
There are openly gay Christians and Reform Jews, and many other religions simply do not have these laws. Admittedly the reason I was forced out of my attempt to become orthodox was because of my sexuality; but I have unrelated reasons not to become Reform or Christian.
"You're just rebelling against your parents."
My father is an agnostic atheist, so no, I'm not.
"Obviously you became an atheist, becuase your mother intermarried, and therefore you weren't raised religious."
This goes back to the deep-seated xenophobia in Orthodox Judaism. As a matter of fact I was raised religiously, said berachot over every meal, went to shul twice or even three times a week, and learned to actually read Hebrew for my bar mitzvah, instead of memorizing it like the Reform kids. This one annoys me quite a bit. They take one look at my last name and assume...

What does Reform Jews mean?

Click Here to know more about Islam
09-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Basically there are 4 kinds of mainstream Judaism, which are generally distinguished by their approach to Halakha:
- Orthodox Jews believe in following all the laws and customs and holding to earlier scholars.
- Conservative Jews believe in following all the laws, but also continuing to develop the law in a conservative manner.
- Reform Jews reject earlier scholars and bend basically all the laws to whatever suits them.
- Reconstructionist Jews regard the laws as not binding, but believe in preserving them as a cultural artifact.
09-29-2013, 08:32 AM
If the question is honest I don't mind being asked almost anything. For some people the idea of being an atheist is extremely foreign and they simply don't know the answers to these questions because they've never thought about it themselves, so I welcome the opportunity to express my views, again, if the person is honestly asking. In the past, I've even had a friendly hour long discussion with JWs that came to my door Tongue
10-06-2013, 12:40 AM
I welcome any questions. I don't feel the need to restrict dialogue just to protect someone's delicate sensibilities. If some questions irritate you, then don't hang around in places where those types of questions may come up.

It's a stupid video, and not very well considered, in my opinion.

---------------
Not selling anything.
10-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Any questions are fine with me so long as they are questions and not obvious trolling or subtle attacks based on assumptions on the questioners part. Best example I can think of in regards to the latter being when someone phoned into the Atheist experience and asked "why do Atheists eat babies?".

Please don't do this. Just don't. Just assume that if most people don't do this we most likely don't either and move on. Or be very afraid if someone gives an actual explanation that isn't obviously sarcastic.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)