Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Closer look at Biblical Archaeology.
05-18-2009, 01:39 PM
A Closer look at Biblical Archaeology.
Normally the average person says that the existence of God cannot be proven, and most accept that in their belief systems, its just mostly belief, not proven facts. But the more I look into Archaeology, the more facts just keep bouncing to the surface. They have unearthed some interesting facts which, in my view, gives validity to the bible being a most relevant historical docuement of facts which can no longer be denied.

The Archaeological mind must be objective, rather than subjective. Archaeology and History are closely related, interelated really. Archaeology, in fact, provides the material from which books of ancient history are made. It pushes us back into the pages of history, and knowing that past provides a perspective for the study of our present and future, and gives us a better picture of God, or any of our beliefs and religions, our politics and goverments, our civilizations.

The purpose of Archaeology is not to " Prove Anything", but its a method of " Seeking Knowledge", which may or may not prove anything, but improve our understanding. So I want to show you some Archaeological facts about the bible and its characthers, which are real, and you can draw your own conclusions.

Archaeologist have unearthed many artifacts, but even ordinary people have found things of relevance. In 1887 a peasant woman found some clay tablets along the Nile River at " Tell el-Amarna" which shed important light on Israels conquest of Canaan, but whats important to note is this; What the Tell el-Amarna tablets described, so does the bible in exact detail, and its this " Coalition" this " Biblical dovetailing with history", that I suggest be taken serious note of throughout this post.

Peace.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2009, 01:51 PM
RE: A Closer look at Biblical Archaeology.
The Amarna tablets (Tell is a mistranslation) do mention the Habiru, a group of nomadic people who were considered bandits, mercenaries, and all around scummy people. This may very well be the first early mention of the Hebrews. However, most scholars believe "Habiru" to designate a social class - outlaws, mercenaries, and slaves. While it is possible the Biblical Hebrews came from a particular family within this class, thus gaining their name, the word "Habiru" almost certainly does not refer to them specifically.

But of course, this is nothing special. We know the Hebrews had a small empire in Judea and Israel during ancient times. That's not in dispute. We know further that the Hebrews believed in their Torah, just like the Babylonians believed in the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Egyptians believed in their Book of the Dead.

This does nothing to prove any accuracy at all about the Bible. We would expect the history portion (Joshua - Esther) to be at least ROUGHLY accurate, or at least as accurate as other histories (Egyptian histories, for instance, almost never mention Egyptian defeats. The Bible, likewise, rarely mentions Hebrew defeats without a rally and eventual defeat of their enemies.)
05-18-2009, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2009 02:17 PM by mickiel.)
King Ahab had an " Ivory Palace" built at Samaria,( 1Kings 22:39) which Archaeologist have unearthed, along with other ruins of Samaria. Samaria was located on the top of a mountian, complettely encircled by a valley. Because of this natural fortification which surrounded Samaria, Israel had made these mountians her trust, and God was forgotten, and I think this is what prompted Amos, in 6:1, to say to them;" Woe unto them that are at ease in Zion and trust in the mountians of Samaria." The landscape itself simply give relevance to what Amos said, a lone watchman could see the approach of an enemy from any point.

Lanscape is important in Archaeology, it " Opens up" more than just a physical view, we can begin to see the habits of a people.

Peace.
In 1868, there was discovered in the city of diban ( in Moab), what is called the " Moabite Stone". This inscribed object is four feet high, two feet wide and 14 inches thick. The inscription on the stone confirms the biblical passage of scripture in 2Kings 3:4-5. It proves that Mesha, king of Moab, existed. As did " Omri" king of Israel, and Moabs son " Ahab", all biblical characthers mentioned in the bible. And they have this stone right now.

Peace.
05-18-2009, 04:23 PM
One of the more stunning Archareological finds was the actual house of Mary , Lazarus and Martha, which I have a photograph of. Its remarkable how they unearthed and traced this. Jesus visted there many times, Matt. 21:17, 26:6, John 12:1-2. They even have the tomb of Lazarus, the reputed tomb from which Jesus raised him from the dead. I have a picture of that also.

They have the Place of the " Skull", Golgotha, where Jesus was crucified, and they have located the " Tomb of Joseph" where Jesus was buried. They have all these things, which we can see for ourselves, and yet there still are those who persist on thinking that Jesus never existed. Its truly amazing. Just think, if someone were trying to wipe out your existence in history, but yet were presented with the town you were born in, presented with evidence of certain places you visted, shown the place you were killed and the grave you were placed in, but they look at you and claim that none of that is evidence that you lived, its just dumbfounding.

The baptismal site of Christ, the river Jordan recorded in the bible, is STILL there. Still there for any to see, and its recorded in the bible. They have found the Mount of Temptation where Jesus confronted satan, just as big as day, recorded in the bible, and still standing there until this very day. These physical finds of facts gives the bible far more relivance than many care to admit.

Peace.
05-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Archaeological discoveries often give additional information to things recorded in the bible. The " Black Obelisk" of Shalmaneser III, King of Assyria, was found in the ruins of his place at Calah ( Nimrud). It shows officals of 5 different nations paying tribute to Shalnameser, one of whom is Israels King Jehu, ( 2Kings 9-10). The Obelisk, 6 and one-half feet tall, bears the only likeness that has ever been found of any Israelite King.
05-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Non sequitur. Consider the following statement:

Quote:"The Cathedral of Notre Dame actually still exists. Therefore the Hunchback of Notre Dame actually existed."

The existence of the former does not prove the existence of the latter.

It is entirely possible that the man, Jesus, existed. But acceptance of that position does not entail acceptance of the stories found in the Bible as fact. One can accept the existence of the Jordan River (I've been there, by the way, so I know it exists) and still reject the resurrection.

Places do not prove events.

---------------
Not selling anything.
05-19-2009, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2009 12:16 AM by mickiel.)
(05-18-2009 07:49 PM)MerryAtheist Wrote:  Non sequitur. Consider the following statement:

Quote:"The Cathedral of Notre Dame actually still exists. Therefore the Hunchback of Notre Dame actually existed."

The existence of the former does not prove the existence of the latter.

It is entirely possible that the man, Jesus, existed. But acceptance of that position does not entail acceptance of the stories found in the Bible as fact. One can accept the existence of the Jordan River (I've been there, by the way, so I know it exists) and still reject the resurrection.

Places do not prove events.

Well yes of course, one does not have to accept, but I am not one of those. I accept. Just as I accept that Lukes account of Christ life was 6-5 B.C., which is the same Roman record of the life of Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Emperor, and I accept Lukes claim reguarding the journey Mary and Josephs journey to their homeland to pay taxes , as Caesar decreed, in their homeland of Bethlehem, where Jesus was then born. The Podium from which Augustus made his decree is still there today.

So we have Location, geographics, characthers, biblical and Roman history, all which confirm that Mary, Caesar, Joseph and Rome existed in that time. Thus, Roman history or the Bible cannot be excluded from being relevant to these facts combined. The reason why Jesus was born in a " Barn", was because the city was full of travelers comming to pay their taxes, it all fits like a glove.

Peace.
05-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Tell me, do you believe that Jack Ryan is the president? Because those Tom Clancy novels have a whole ton of accurate political information about the world around them.

Luke was a doctor, an educated man, and a bit of a scholar. He put in historical details to give his story more realism and context. He was probably the most clever of the gospel writers. BUT, there's still problems with that, with which Herod was reigning at the time, and other instances such as the fact that there is no record of an infant massacre in Bethlehem (which would surely have gained some record,) nor of any other supposedly miraculous event of Jesus's life. The only evidence AT ALL for his existence outside the Bible is Josephus, and all he says was that he existed as a man.
05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
And of course then we have the account of " Cyrus", who was prophectically named by Isaiah more than a century before he was born. Even the fact that he would be the King who would give Judah permission to return to their homeland and rebuild their temple and Jerusalem, Isaiah 44:28-45:1. Cryus was born and issued that decree,( Ezra 1:1-4). A stunning prophecy that was fulfilled. This decree was discovered by Archaeologist and is now on display in the British Museum in London. And by the way, they discovered King Cyrus Palace and his Tomb, both have been unearthed.

Peace.
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Actually archeology shows that Babylon was destroyed by a King Cyrus PRIOR to Isaiah's time. Rendering Isaiah's passage here not prophetic, but historic. This was the first King Cyrus of Persia that Isaiah refers to, not his successor who just happened to accomplish many of the same things.

Further, the second Cyrus let the Jews back into Jerusalem AFTER being read this prophecy. In other words, Cyrus discovered the "prophecies of Isaiah," taken out of context as such by a people in exile longing for a return to the good old days, and dedicated himself to fulfilling them. Thus the prophecies were self-fulfilling, and not actually predictive at all. Had the prophecies never been made, Cyrus would never have specifically fulfilled them (most likely to calm the Jews, who I believe were fairly good vassals from that point until the Alexandrian invasion.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is good about the Biblical god? Goldenrain 3 201 09-14-2017 08:44 AM
Last Post: Alexa
  Biblical Hyocrisy bluejay1000 6 457 06-23-2017 12:32 PM
Last Post: Alexa
  Accusations of Biblical plagiarism greentreefrog10 7 695 11-02-2016 06:09 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  What is good about the Biblical deity? flower50 3 562 06-07-2013 06:09 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  A Glaring Biblical Contradiction Fender 21 3,235 02-21-2013 07:43 PM
Last Post: Madcornishbiker
  Biblical Clouds...What are They? whirlwind 1 597 05-29-2011 11:23 PM
Last Post: Yefet
  Biblical Facebook Highlights JohnnyBiceps 7 2,457 10-21-2010 02:56 PM
Last Post: JohnnyBiceps

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)