Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Message To Non-Muslims
04-11-2009, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2009 07:33 AM by zanaz.)
A Message To Non-Muslims
I suspect that if you are here, and you are here for tolerable reasons, then you are much like me. Let me pass on some advice so that you can avoid mistakes that myself and others make.

1. This is their house. If you wish to know more about Islam, ask. If you are trying to prove the religion wrong, then you are in the wrong place. Be mindful of the questions that you ask. Are they respectful? Are the on the offensive? Read them as if they are countering something you believe, and err on the side of caution. Always remember that they answer your questions out of their courtesy, and that they are not obligated to put up with disrespect in a place of their own.
2. Islam is the most slandered religion in the world right now From religious pulpit to political podium Islam is constantly lambasted and attacked. There are several people who wish to divide the Islamic community, or discredit it, or using several other methods represent Islam in a way that is false and unfair. Make sure that when you ask questions, you are careful to avoid sounding like the detractors of Islam. Do not point out divisions in the community, or attempt to divide it further. Do not accuse them of the oppression of women, rather ask how the Koran requests women are treated. Understand the difference between culture and religion, as you may be surprised how many of the things Westerners object to today is due to cultural laws rather than religious ones, and how regarding many different civil rights, Islam was hundreds of years ahead of Christians and Jews at the time of its conception. People here are used to being attacked, and if you sound harsh or critical, it is likely that this will impede your capacity to learn what you want from this forum, so be conscious when posting things that are reflective of attacks on Islam.
3. Islam is a lifestyle, not a hobby A friend of mine teased me last night for being agnostic, and it was easy for me to take seeing as how this is a stance I use to answer one question that doesn't encompass a great deal of my life. However, Islam is a lifestyle, to be taken seriously in everything that you do, not just in abstract discussions of religion. Therefore, keep this in mind when you try to learn specific facts about Islam. Pastafarianism may seem hilarious to someone who doesn't think religion is important, but if your life is guided by religion then it may seem irreverent, insulting, and immature. Keep things like this in mind when you are discussing with people the things that are most important to them. A good rule of thumb is if you don't know if it is going to be well received, PM me.
4 Expect differences I think that everyone who comes here will be offended at least once by something they read from a distinctly different culture. Questioning the holocaust is an excellent example of this, as it is something that Westerners are not accustomed to doing. Keep an open mind while browsing, listen rather than responding immediately, and try to understand rather than to disagree. Things are different here, and some of the things we are going to object to. If we face this with an open mind ready to learn and understand, rather than with instant revulsion, we can be sure that we will get along properly.
5 Celebrate the Diversity :Islam has brought us Algebra, several contributions to astronomy, botany, hospitals among other medical advances, art, rich music, and cultural sophistications that can be found nowhere else in the world. Islam freed slaves over a thousand years before Europe and America decided it was wrong. They also translated and pondered our Greek philosophers while the whole Western world decided to be ignorant for several hundred years. Islam is a wonderful religion, the Middle East is a center of amazing cultures, and I encourage you to recognize, enjoy, and understand the contributions and diversity they bring to our world. Above all, let us attempt to understand each other, for a better world.Praise
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2009, 01:15 AM
RE: A Message To Non-Muslims
Yes you can give good points about non-Muslims. Thanks for sharing.

Sympathy Words
07-03-2009, 05:27 AM
RE: A Message To Non-Muslims
Point 2 is very much true, but Point 5 is debatable. Overall, you make a great point and I hope that people will one day judge Islam without bringing out every single stereotype that they know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What do Muslims think of non-muslims, eg. jews etc. - 50 mins vid Hamza 0 641 05-02-2013 02:07 PM
Last Post: Hamza
  How do ordinary Muslims treat gay Muslims? Stonecold 137 20,812 05-01-2013 03:13 AM
Last Post: Hamza
  Reasons Why Muslims And Non-Muslims Can Benefit From Quran Equally MomenaMinhas 6 1,241 12-13-2012 03:36 PM
Last Post: KAYSER
  Muslims taking moral responsibility for the violent acts of Muslims biomystic 32 3,630 12-18-2010 05:16 AM
Last Post: Zagreus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)