Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A New "Spiritual"
07-18-2013, 08:00 AM
A New "Spiritual"
I have come of the opinion that the word "spiritual" can no longer facilitate with integrity the meaning which I apply to it. Hence, I think it is time to consider formulating a word which aptly draws up the idea of consciousness manipulation. An acquaintance of mine hates the term 'altered state of consciousness'. He avers that it is not consciousness itself which is altered, but rather our way of experiencing it. Semantics, says I. Smile

Anyway, what would be a good word for what I call "spirituality"? I want to clarify that it must be free of superstitious and theistic relevance. It must be a word which is centered on the human being as the source of all development. The term "spiritual" has simply too much baggage.

Let me know what you think!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
RE: A New "Spiritual"
Sam Harris might be trying to "reclaim" the word in a way you like. Have you read his positions on it? Here is one piece he's said on it:

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/a-ple...irituality
07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
(07-18-2013 12:32 PM)legend Wrote:  Sam Harris might be trying to "reclaim" the word in a way you like. Have you read his positions on it? Here is one piece he's said on it:

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/a-ple...irituality
Fortis est veritas.

07-20-2013, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2013 05:41 PM by URAVIP2ME.)
(07-18-2013 08:00 AM)IMtM Wrote:  I have come of the opinion that the word "spiritual" can no longer facilitate with integrity the meaning which I apply to it. Hence, I think it is time to consider formulating a word which aptly draws up the idea of consciousness manipulation.
Anyway, what would be a good word for what I call "spirituality"? I want to clarify that it must be free of superstitious and theistic relevance. It must be a word which is centered on the human being as the source of all development. The term "spiritual" has simply too much baggage.

Interesting that you say 'spiritual' can no longer facilitate ........

If one disengaged himself from being affiliated with main-stream or otherwise a religious [ being religious] organization, then seems the style was developed of being spiritual but not religious.
So, now if the word 'spiritual' is outdated, then with a new style inside of a person I think of in Zen or in Yoga would be the word 'transformation'. ? ______
I imagine on a broader spectrum there would be concern over a list of moral issues such as the environment or cancers or AIDS-type concerns. Problems so HUGE that no one can solve them.
Concern for the earth, and/or a moral/social agenda about the plight of others seems to fall under the category of being a neighborly good Samaritan. One can be that without being religious, spiritual or moral. Does 'Samaritan' carry much baggage ?

Since this country operates as a free religious [ or non-religious ] marketplace it offers to all an orchestrated ' values up for grabs' situation. How about the word 'eclectic ' ?
07-20-2013, 05:57 PM
First I'd like to ask do you have a problem being associated with people who have faith in the supernatural?
I mean the word spiritual does come from the word spirit and spirit does often conjure up images of a ghosts, or other similar entities.

I am not certain what you refer to as Spiritual but if it is meditation or self-improvement then:
Internal-Transformation sounds like a good phrase to call it.

What do you refer to as Spiritual?
In as simple an explanation as possible, and define the word spirit in your own words.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
09-10-2013, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 01:19 PM by IMtM.)
(07-20-2013 05:57 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  First I'd like to ask do you have a problem being associated with people who have faith in the supernatural?
That is a very insightful question, Azrael. The short answer is yes, I suppose. I'll have to go and say that I defer to the mind, whose basis is a compilation of cells and electrical charges inside of the skull. The mind can be viewed through the portal of reality, but it must be kept in perspective of what it is and where it comes from. The mind is like art and the brain is its canvas and creator - with its unique styles and tendencies.

Quote:What do you refer to as Spiritual?
In as simple an explanation as possible, and define the word spirit in your own words.
Spirituality is a task whose goal is evolving the way we experience our consicousness; with an emphasis on getting to its root. Putting things into place, in regards to our own way of seeing them and the way they are noumenally existing.

To be honest, I'm not completely satisfied with my response to your second question. I'm going to post, however, as I have a few things to tend to. I will be back on this.

09-10-2013, 01:46 PM
(07-18-2013 08:00 AM)IMtM Wrote:  An acquaintance of mine hates the term 'altered state of consciousness'. He avers that it is not consciousness itself which is altered, but rather our way of experiencing it. Semantics, says I.

What is it that you view as ASoC?

Generally, I see it thought of as just what your friend argues. That if someone's state-of-mind is altered (say through drugs,) they're still experiencing this state of consciousness (the mortal state,) only through a fog of psychological misinformation.

Contrary to this, some believe that through these mind-altering means we "unlock" doors for our spiritual selves to travel into other realms of existence parallel to ours. Through these means, our consciousness is definitely altered past the mortal experience, while our bodies remain tethered to Midgard.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2013, 02:19 PM
(07-18-2013 08:00 AM)IMtM Wrote:  Anyway, what would be a good word for what I call "spirituality"?

Drugs.
09-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't think Huxley's "Mind at Large" theory suggests that mind-altering drugs unlock doors for "travel into other realms of existence parallel to ours", but he considered them keys to unlock doors nonetheless: the brain filters reality so that we won't be too overwhelmed, according to Aldous Huxley, and drugs open up the filter. That doesn't have to suggest anything supernatural, it doesn't have to suggest astral projection or any of that stuff, all it suggests is that we're sort of "colorblind" when sober and start "seeing color" when on hallucinogenic drugs like DMT, if you get what I mean.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
09-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I suspect you may have taken my post a bit more seriously than I intended it there, Shiv.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)