Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Question to Believers...
03-28-2010, 01:29 AM
A Question to Believers...
How do you know your God exists? In other words, there must have been a point or event in time that affirmed, reaffirmed, or confirmed to you, that He It She exists. I'm interested in how this information was revealed to you. If it was a religious experience, what was it exactly? I really want to hear very specifically what occurred in order to make you believe in a deity, I'm quite fascinated.

I'll end at this point but hopefully we can get a good conversation started.

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2010, 01:46 AM
RE: A Question to Believers...
(03-28-2010 01:29 AM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  How do you know your God exists? In other words, there must have been a point or event in time that affirmed, reaffirmed, or confirmed to you, that He It She exists. I'm interested in how this information was revealed to you. If it was a religious experience, what was it exactly? I really want to hear very specifically what occurred in order to make you believe in a deity, I'm quite fascinated.

I'll end at this point but hopefully we can get a good conversation started.

Here's mine.

At the time, I was an atheist, and a very fervent one, though not quite "militant." I "died" for all intents and purposes, on the table in surgery. This is not particularly amazing. I've "died" four times, three times in surgery.

What was amazing was what followed, and afterward I remained in denial for a long time, seeking out rational explanations, trying to disprove any of what had happened.

I started with the simplest. I was tracing my family history, because it was my turn, and everyone iin my family had been stuck on finding a certain grave for about three months. No one had any idea. we had guesses as to where it might be, but no solid leads, no nothing. During my NDE -- I was told where it was -- two counties further than any of us had ever looked, the exact graveyard and plot number.

No family before of or since had resided in that county of Ireland, that we know of. I had no way of finding those numbers, and had never come across them in any searches. The closest I had come was miles off, literally.

Secondly, it was Aine herself that told me, and while I wanted to doubt this, believe it was just some hallucination oxygen deprivation had caused, pulling on mythology I had believed as a child, she identified herself by her geis, which since, I had never undergone serious six-year study of as a teenager, I had no way of knowing, and later confirmed with both a historian outside of my family, and a distant cleric elative (and got temporarily in trouble for somehow knowing it, despite never undergoing study).

I spent two months looking for any sort of way I could have come up with those, and everything else wwas improbable or impossible.

So that's mine, poke fun at will.
03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Hebrew
11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen
11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

We belived by faith and saved by His grace,when you walk with him daily, you know he is the true GOD
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Aingeal: I'm not here to poke fun at you, mate, but I am here to be skeptical. I shall respond to you in a little bit.
gospelbob2010: Please read the question. I really hope you are not on these forums to preach, and I hope that doing so would result in a warning. Your response is complete nonsense; faith-head babble. If you're not going to partake in the correct way, I'd appreciate you not partaking at all. Thank you.

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake
03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
(03-28-2010 12:51 PM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  Aingeal: I'm not here to poke fun at you, mate, but I am here to be skeptical. I shall respond to you in a little bit.

I wasn't trying to be critical or anything, I just know people tend to laugh at NDEs, even if they aren't the standard "go down the tunnel of light" idea, and the being surrounded by your friends and family and all that. I've been called a nutter before over it.

As for skepticism, if you haven't figured it out yet, lol, I respect skepticism far more than blind faith, and will argue any side of pretty much any issue. I told you I was skeptical too, and it happened to me. I wouldn't believe in proselytizing, even if it wasn't an abomination in my faith.
03-28-2010, 06:16 PM
(03-28-2010 01:29 AM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  How do you know your God exists?...

Sometimes when reading a book on a certain topic, I have an "aha moment," when it finally makes sense to me.

This is sort of what happened to me as I read the Bible--all of a sudden I felt that life and the universe made sense. I can't describe it exactly, but if you've ever seen the movie, A Beautiful Mind, the pages of the Bible seemed to light up (not literally, of course) like the scribblings on the blackboard in the movie.

Since that time, my faith has deepened as I've learned more about the Bible. And when I pray I sense that God hears me.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-28-2010, 07:01 PM
(03-28-2010 06:16 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  
(03-28-2010 01:29 AM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  How do you know your God exists?...

Sometimes when reading a book on a certain topic, I have an "aha moment," when it finally makes sense to me.

This is sort of what happened to me as I read the Bible--all of a sudden I felt that life and the universe made sense. I can't describe it exactly, but if you've ever seen the movie, A Beautiful Mind, the pages of the Bible seemed to light up (not literally, of course) like the scribblings on the blackboard in the movie.

Since that time, my faith has deepened as I've learned more about the Bible. And when I pray I sense that God hears me.

So would it be safe to say that this is your evidence for the existence of God?

03-28-2010, 07:47 PM
This is my subjective evidence, that is useful to me.

Objective evidence entails the fact that the only alternative to theism; namely, atheism, cannot account for free will, personal agency, and genuine moral accountability.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-29-2010, 08:07 AM
There was no event in my life that all of a sudden made me a believer. I wasn't raised Christian, really. I went to church every once in a while growing up. I went to church in high school quite regularly, but not for the right reasons. basically to be with friends and to meet a girl. heh. Later, around the age of 23, I started dating a girl who was Christian and we went to church regularly. I always did believe in God, but I wouldnt really call myself a Christian at that time. I didn't really know what it meant. But I just started reading, talking to people, researching, and before I knew it, I was a total believer. Now, even if there was 100% proof presented to me, I don't think I could disbelieve...heh. Like if aliens came down and presented proof that they started christianity, or all religions, or whatever, I'd still believe that they were lying for some reason.. Smile SO for me, it was gradual that I became a true believer. At the same time, I recognize that I could be 100% wrong and there could be no God. I 100% do not believe that is possible, but Christianity is faith based, and in order for something to be faith based, that means there can be no definitive way to know if it's true or not. So I don't blame non-believers. I just hope that they some day believe.
03-29-2010, 02:46 PM
After 50 years of life seen God work in my life and others, you must believed there is a God when you see the work he has done in your life. And the world he had made no cosmic event could have made this perfect world and beautiful. We see miracles daily but count it off as lucky or just good fortune. It is the hand of God that controls all. Through all my life I have seen the works he has done in my life, if you read the bible it answer all. But if you only believe in world things you only receive world things.
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so. 1:10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good. 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day. 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. 1:19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 1:22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. 1:23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day. 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A question for Believers..... Saint_of_Me 26 3,346 04-23-2015 09:13 AM
Last Post: Alison2
  Unanswered Questions from Believers TheAlchemist 38 2,103 09-24-2013 12:30 PM
Last Post: Edward
  I found many chatters on the science forum are a zero believers they are too narcissi alirda6 2 821 07-21-2013 11:06 AM
Last Post: Yefet
  Why believers do thinks this way KAYSER 41 2,427 11-15-2012 06:43 PM
Last Post: Huitaca
  All Ye Believers: What Would it Take For You Not to Believe? Secular Hobbit 68 7,378 07-28-2012 07:45 AM
Last Post: rocketboy9000
  For The NON believers(Of God(s)) Anti-Faithless666 9 1,880 07-22-2012 03:18 PM
Last Post: StarStuff
  Believers, without apotheosis, you lie when saying that God exists. Greatest I am 19 3,426 04-03-2010 09:47 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Are believers culpable for overpopulation? Greatest I am 30 5,619 11-28-2009 07:09 PM
Last Post: Greatest I am

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)