A Secular Prayer for Spirituality
11-10-2017, 12:27 PM
11/10/17 e.v.
--------------------
By the dint of your immeasurable grace
May my piteous, outward-clinging attention be blessed by its healing
From the twin disease of mind and desire.
Once and for good may your illimitable grace
Absorb my individuality that it become one with the boundless beatitude
Of your unalloyed bliss.
Please grant me by your endless grace
That holy silence which severs the chains of accumulated mental tendencies
In order to free me from their delusion.
O calm, effluent source of unceasing awareness,
Let me experience you as you are through your grace:
All and undivided,
Wholly united with every living thing in love,
That the fullness of your being forever stills these crashing waves of my partitioning thoughts.
Amen.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2017, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2017 12:23 PM by IMtM.)
RE: A Secular Prayer for Spirituality
I changed the formatting a bit for this one as it felt as if I had perpetrated a reversal in the way that I had originally written it.
---------------

O calm, effluent source of unbroken and unceasing awareness,
Let me experience you as you are through your grace:
All and undivided,
Wholly united with every living thing in love,
That the fullness of your being forever stills these crashing waves of my partitioning thoughts.
By the dint of your immeasurable grace
May my piteous, outward-clinging attention be blessed by its healing
From the twin disease of mind and desire.
Once and for good may your illimitable grace
Absorb my individuality that it become one with the boundless beatitude
Of your unalloyed bliss.
Please grant me by your endless grace
That holy silence which severs the chains of accumulated mental tendencies
In order to free me from their delusion.
Amen.
-----------------

If you believe that God will help you then give yourself completely to God. And if you do not believe in God then you have but to turn within and learn to know yourself. These paths are identical in the end.

11-13-2017, 04:49 PM
mind is a disease to you?

meh
11-13-2017, 07:03 PM
(11-13-2017 04:49 PM)Blastcat Wrote:  mind is a disease to you?

meh
The mind is the Ego when the Ego is grasping outwards and away from our own existence, which, within the context that I am presenting, is the most fundamental abstraction of subjective being. Thus mind and Ego are one in the same, they signify movement contrary to equilibrium or stillness or silence, which are satisfactory (but by no means perfect, imo) conceptualizations of the nature of pure awareness, which is self or God or whatever you wish to call it.

"The mind is a necklace of impressions strung together by the false association to an "I," which is nothing but a limiting, illusory, perpetually self-insisting and self-important, ever-dependent perspective. ...This is the unreal appearance of an Ego experiencing and subsisting on an existence fabricated by way of the conditioning caused by its attachment to the mind's thoughts (perceptions, memories, beliefs, etc.), the which are in turn ordered by their ruling predispositions."

The mind itself is a wonderful tool when it is held in proper perspective. However, I called it in this prayer the twin of desire, therefore paying especial focus towards its grasping connotation.

If you disagree with what I am saying here then good for you. I am not telling anyone to believe anything. Besides that, this thread was clearly marked as "for spirituality" in the title for everyone who can read. I didn't post it in a debate section and I'm not jamming it down anyone's throat. In fact, I expect most to be thinking as do you. If you still have an issue with it you can either create a thread of your own in the appropriate section of the forum to debate the matter in whatever way that you see fit, or you can simply ignore me. The power is yours.

11-15-2017, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 06:36 AM by IMtM.)
(11-13-2017 07:03 PM)IMtM Wrote:  The mind is the Ego when the Ego is grasping outwards and away from our own existence, which, within the context that I am presenting, is the most fundamental abstraction of subjective being.
Allow me to phrase this in another way.

The Ego is our subjectivity when it is taking objective things to be subjective or itself. It is when who we really are takes our feelings, emotions, memories, perceptions, knowledge, senses, ideas, beliefs, thoughts, aspirations, traits (physical and mental), body, possessions, tastes, social/occupational rank, monetary status, etc., to be ourselves. However, all of these things are objective. If we honestly examine these things extensively we will come to realize that none of them are "me," are "I." They are my feelings, my body, my beliefs, and so on for the rest. The trick is to find who it is that these things appear to belong to, and in doing this we are isolating the essence of what we are from its adjuncts, just as a medical lab technician will isolate the medicinal compounds from a much larger aggregate of substance that otherwise confers no or negative benefit to our health.

The method to carry this analysis through in its entirety is to firmly root our attention to the sense of our own subjectivity, not allowing it to mingle with external, objective things, which will give rise to the Ego. The Buddhists call this technique samma-sati meditation, the Hindus call it vichara, the Christian Mystics "the prayer of quiet" or Quietism, for the Islamic Sufis it is muraqaba leading to fanaa, and so on. From the secular standpoint we need not give it any such name as it quite clearly falls into the realm of plain psychology, and the various religious/cultural terms for it are just flavorings reflective of each group's own interpretation of it.

Having by this means thoroughly analyzed ourselves to the fullest extent, coming to the understanding that any possible definition of who we are is by its very nature a mere accretion to our pure awareness, we will, through continuous and unyielding effort of practice in this manner, experience ourselves as we truly are: undiluted, unalloyed, and undivided consciousness. And this is Liberation. It cannot be overstated that this is no mere intellectual knowing or conviction. It is an automatic, constant and natural apprehension of unbroken awareness. Images come and go in a mirror, but they do not affect the mirror itself in any way. Intellectual comprehension is but the first echo, though it is a valid part of the process.

I am aware that most people will find this unpalatable. That is fine. The Ego will never be forcibly taken away from you until physical conditions cause it to be so by the temporary or permanent incapacitation of the mind and/or body. The Ego is born via the subjective taking the objective to be subjective, like I said earlier. It is the way of nature that everything which is born will die. I only wish everyone godspeed for finding the happiness and satisfaction that they do deserve, in whichever way they so may choose.

Dreamers dream, and heaven rues
The somber scattering of ill-won news
That dips its branches into the soft lake
Of mind that longs to forever forsake
Unhappiness for any, for some, for few,
For one, yes, give it to none, and through
The efforts that we make let unhappiness carry on
To the edge of existence into oblivion.
But we laugh, we cry, we perform the dance
At the urgings of desire, that misinformed trance
That transforms the external to our own circumstance
To mar the mark of excellence
Indelibly imprinted on the spirit of mankind,
It slips through our fingers every time we find
Some temporal shrine at which to bid our soul,
And the universe laughs, we again pay the toll
To our clinging, only to cling once more.
Can there be an end? No one is sure
Until we track with fidelity the origin of our unease,
That apparent hunger for whom we suffer to appease.
For there we would find that there is no one, no lack,
No wild-goosechase to follow, it's just a sham show,
Everything that is sought can be found by going back
Within, to our source, then we will Know.
Temporary happiness is just a disguise
For the riptides of sorrow, tide of tears in the eyes;
Let it go, let it go, verily, let it go.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)