Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A discussion
06-16-2011, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2011 07:30 AM by kevlar.)
A discussion
I wonder who would be interested in discussing the human foibles exhibited on this forum and perhaps assigning merit or blame to the factions involved in how and how often those foibles are displayed.
For instance which faction is more likely to demonstrate HATE towards other factions in their posts.
Perhaps we could examine which factions are more likely to demonstrate an attitude of acceptance
It may be worthwhile discussing the exceptions in the factions who do or don't conform to what we may consider to be the rule in these factions.
As a starter I wonder does anyone wish to start a conversation regarding which faction you may consider the most arrogant.
I haven't named any factions because there are probably many definitions and so I am happy for any member to define a faction as they see them.
What say you?
Let me start it off with my observation that the group, I would term godbotherers, who may or may not be religious and may or may not belong to a variety of faith systems, are in my opinion incredibly arrogant and dismissive of certainly those of no faith but in fact all other faiths as well. These people profess to be following a path that they hope will bring them salvation when they die. They profess the belief that they follow their god, who is only love, but they demonstrate an absolute inability to love their fellow man. They only have love for those who believe as they do, now this would seem to emanate from the god they worship, because if they are to be believed then they are also the only ones he truly loves as well, at least they are the only ones he will save from HIS wrath.
Thanks for your time.

????????????????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2011, 07:36 AM
RE: A discussion
I dont think hate or arrogance is factional, it's individual, and I am not sure that even hate is the right word. The two strongest attitudes are bible quoters and god disapprovers. More liberally spiritual people are open to discussion, co-existence and less arrogance.

gTm

The universe exists to think, know and experience.
@PaticleAnimism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-16-2011, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2011 07:53 AM by kevlar.)
And so says one of the exceptions in what I call the godbotherers, you have a belief gtm that may or may not be your entirety, but you have a decency in you that is missing in others within this faction of which I speak. You believe it is individual, I believe that it is group mentality, but containing diverse groups, their common bond is that "they are right". There are other godbotherers who would echo your thoughts, Ali2, Aing, Clem, Hamza, ATW, and others, who my feeble brain has lost. But I don't believe it is individual when we have so many who come here, to this place in space, with identical perceptions and yet vastly varied belief systems.
In fact I will be astounded if any more than two of the godbotherers, in question, even respond in this thread.

????????????????
06-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Generally on the forum I see them as individuals who want to debate but yes, I agree there is a group behind them that help motivate them. Eg the picture of a woman holding the bible and a sword... They will naturally defend and personally, seeing them fight in anger is ridiculous and not "Christian". But it seems that some of the extreme ones will come here only to fight. They will have a fight, tell their friends and drift away.

It's like a plan to go to Oxford street and beat up some gays, as they come to the forum and beat up the atheists. Or try to. But the atheists are pretty firm here. Remember Don Q couldn't handle it - he was looking for peace not a fight. There are some very strong attitudes here.

Anyhow, do you think I am a godbotherer as you call it. Ha! Not sure what you meant by my belief and it's entirety.

I just think anger and ridicule is a waste of time,energy and typing. Debate hard, don't get personal and don't take it personally, shake hands and have a beer/coffee/meal/whatever.

gTm

@PaticleAnimism
06-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Now that's the thing gtm, I've had you pegged as one of the goodguys since you got here, I reckon you have a fairly well trained goodguys radar as well, I hope you hang around and see how this little community in cyberwhatsit works. There are some great people here. I just deleted the word "cyber" from before "people", because I know them as people.

Do I need to move to the drunks thread??????????????lol Big Grin

????????????????
06-16-2011, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2011 08:35 AM by georgeTmaxwell.)
Thanks for the compliment. I was brought up as a Christian and guided by my mum but once I got to an age, I realized a lot of it was illogical and now strongly disagree with it without putting it in their face. Although I have written things in my book that would defiantly class me as a heretic and be offensive to the religious.

Personally I don't know why you bother with these people. You will fight back but they don't listen, they are trained to quote words which have been refined for the debate over 2000 years. Pushing them over the edge seems to happen here which surprises me. I thought they would back down sooner. They are far from being like the Jebus they aspire.

Pain once beat me up on a post I wrote about the perpetual battle between religion and science, but he was kind enough to use a phonebook to soften the blows and wait for a philosopher to hit me with the final punch.

But in saying that, I thought the battle was between religion and science, and now realize it is between religion and religion, and religion and non-religion. So yes, they can be arrogant.

I agree there are good people here. Once I got the rhythm of this place, I have began to really enjoy it.

@georgeTmaxwell

PS drunk ramblings are fine, they add colour.

Opinion is like a pendulum and obeys the same law. Schopenhauer
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance. Plato

@PaticleAnimism
06-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Honestly, I think only two categories of poster are necessary to define: debaters and quotedroners.

Quotedroners are the ones who base all their beliefs on a single text and constantly spout quotes from said book without making any attempt to engage in discussion. They never question their own views, they are incapable of contemplating the idea that anybody else's views have merit, they are essentially a waste of server space on this forum. And I want to emphasize that this is not just religious folks -- we have seen just as many God Delusion quotedroners as we have Bible or Quran quotedroners.

The debaters are... well, everybody else.

No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should.
-Ann Druyan
06-16-2011, 08:40 AM
(06-16-2011 08:33 AM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  Honestly, I think only two categories of poster are necessary to define: debaters and quotedroners.

Quotedroners are the ones who base all their beliefs on a single text and constantly spout quotes from said book without making any attempt to engage in discussion. They never question their own views, they are incapable of contemplating the idea that anybody else's views have merit, they are essentially a waste of server space on this forum. And I want to emphasize that this is not just religious folks -- we have seen just as many God Delusion quotedroners as we have Bible or Quran quotedroners.

The debaters are... well, everybody else.

"I agree with every word you write, and I can prove this in no better way than by taking your advice from beginning to end"
-Ellen Glasgow
06-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Very, very clever

????????????????
06-16-2011, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2011 04:53 PM by Alison2.)
DANGIT!!!! Totally forgot to quote!!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)