Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A good Torah.
09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
A good Torah.
Hi all I would like to buy a good English translation of the Torah. Can anybody make a good recommendation? Thanks, Dirk.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2009, 07:37 AM
RE: A good Torah.
Hi Dirk,

The Torah is the first 5 parts of the Jewish Holy Text, the Tanakh, and is the part supossedly by Moses. If you look for a Tanakh in English on something like Amazon.com you will find a few versions. I haven't seen them, so I can't recommend one in particular, but maybe go for one of the more academic ones; google the author perhaps?

Alternately, the Torah is also the first 5 parts of the Bible, so maybe get a good copy of that. Mine is a King James Bible from the Oxford University Press. The translators are scholars, and there are commentaries on each section to explain the text, and often to explain why they chose a certain rendering of a phrase. It's a bit heavy going as it's in olde English style, but easy enough to read.

Hope that's of help.
12-29-2009, 03:08 PM
You can buy at any store. But if you are not a Jew, Jews should not sell it to you, it is holy.

Jewish Forum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-29-2009, 06:18 PM
(12-29-2009 03:08 PM)alhzn74 Wrote:  But if you are not a Jew, Jews should not sell it to you, it is holy.

Whilst I can see why you'd say this, do you not want people to understand and show an interest in your Holy text? It's one of the most significant in the world, regardless of whether you are Jewish or not.

I have a copy in Hebrew, and whilst I cannot read it easily (at all!), that did not stop me spending HOURS trying to, in order to understand the language. Would you frown upon this?
12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
(12-29-2009 06:18 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  
(12-29-2009 03:08 PM)alhzn74 Wrote:  But if you are not a Jew, Jews should not sell it to you, it is holy.

Whilst I can see why you'd say this, do you not want people to understand and show an interest in your Holy text? It's one of the most significant in the world, regardless of whether you are Jewish or not.

I have a copy in Hebrew, and whilst I cannot read it easily (at all!), that did not stop me spending HOURS trying to, in order to understand the language. Would you frown upon this?

The idea is that the Torah is the Law and the Law is for Jews. Following the Law - and that means all those 613 mitzvot - identifies one as a Jew. God gave Jews a special mission, to demonstrate righteousness to the world. To be righteous, gentiles are to follow the Seven Noahide Laws. The Talmud says that gentiles are not to attempt to follow the Torah. They are not Jews and should not pretend to be Jews. This is why reading the Torah is discouraged for gentiles.
12-31-2009, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2009 01:50 AM by catholicstation.)
(12-29-2009 07:43 PM)Parousia Wrote:  
(12-29-2009 06:18 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  

The idea is that the Torah is the Law and the Law is for Jews. Following the Law - and that means all those 613 mitzvot - identifies one as a Jew. God gave Jews a special mission, to demonstrate righteousness to the world. To be righteous, gentiles are to follow the Seven Noahide Laws. The Talmud says that gentiles are not to attempt to follow the Torah. They are not Jews and should not pretend to be Jews. This is why reading the Torah is discouraged for gentiles.
Parousia - You want me to believe You can understand America without
The 13 Original Colonies - You cannot seperate Judaism & Christianity

Any Jew worth his salt will tell You The only Lineage Claim of Jesus to "The Throne of David" is from Ruth (A Torah Book- blood curse of Jeconiah) Thru Mary

P.S. - Someone under a blood curse cannot be "The Messiah"
01-19-2010, 12:52 AM
The best Tanakh will always be the Hebrew, but the JPS Student English-Hebrew version would be best for a learner or curious person alike.
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
(12-31-2009 12:54 AM)catholicstation Wrote:  Parousia - You want me to believe You can understand America without
The 13 Original Colonies - You cannot seperate Judaism & Christianity

Any Jew worth his salt will tell You The only Lineage Claim of Jesus to "The Throne of David" is from Ruth (A Torah Book- blood curse of Jeconiah) Thru Mary

P.S. - Someone under a blood curse cannot be "The Messiah"

I have no idea what you are talking about. I was explaining why Jews believe that the Torah should not be given to gentiles. This was the question asked and the question I answered. The Christian viewpoint is of course different albeit confused, case in point being which of the many laws in the Torah are applicable to Christians.

My personal take is that the Torah is a tremendously interesting document describing the origin and early evolution of Judaism and thus the foundation of most of western religion itself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The King's Torah Visqueen 24 6,574 12-11-2015 10:00 AM
Last Post: KAYSER
  New Prophets and Adding to the Torah Achrelos 2 711 02-26-2015 02:20 PM
Last Post: Achrelos
  is there a difference between, the Christian Old Testament & the Torah? Azrael17 6 7,187 07-26-2010 04:12 PM
Last Post: CarolineBelle
Exclamation Wisdom And Sound Advice From The Torah- Full Text Book ahmetsecer 1 1,948 12-29-2009 03:05 PM
Last Post: alhzn74
Exclamation Wisdom from Torah- Site ahmetsecer 0 800 10-19-2008 05:24 AM
Last Post: ahmetsecer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)