Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A question about morals
12-11-2008, 05:58 AM
A question about morals
I used to frequent a philosophy forum similar to this one, and a question that was posed by a member started quite an interesting debate.

"If God doesn't exist, then who defined morals and why do they even exist?"

Said forum is now dead, and I suppose I'm curious to see what people here come up with. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2008, 06:58 AM
RE: A question about morals
the monkey people pinched them from the pigmys.

Good evil salvation
12-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Mr_Redneck Wrote:I used to frequent a philosophy forum similar to this one, and a question that was posed by a member started quite an interesting debate.

"If God doesn't exist, then who defined morals and why do they even exist?"

Said forum is now dead, and I suppose I'm curious to see what people here come up with. Smile
Moral exist because we live in groups and groups need "rules" to live together. The morals that increase group survival persist through a process of evolution.

If we were solitary animals, we wouldn't need morals.
12-11-2008, 12:50 PM
morals can,t exist without God.you would have no line to follow no guide.nothing we would be like animals.

Good evil salvation
12-11-2008, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 02:29 PM by clarence clutterbuck.)
Morals exist in order to regulate interpersonal relationships in human societies. They evolved in our apelike ancestors, as a set of evolutionarily stable strategies for regulating social behaviour that were later on with the development of language, enshrined as written codes.

The concept of a morally concerned supernatural entity probably came about as a means of enhancing co-operation between large groups of unrelated individuals. There's plenty of evidence for this in the Old Testament where YHWH frequently exhorts folks to rally round him and crush the supporters of rival gods.
12-11-2008, 12:58 PM
^^ Yep.

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
12-11-2008, 01:07 PM
do you think that usa are copying the OT.?

Good evil salvation
12-14-2008, 04:58 AM
Morals are the ideas we have that keep ourselves alive, which aren't to be confused with laws, which punishes 'wrong' morals with demerits.

If God didn't create us, we would've had to devise our own morals, which means we'd still be apes since our lowly natural quality of deception gets the best of us when there's no 'Bigger Ape' to punish our bad deeds. This also means that natural selection is our dictactor, allowing us to justify our sick acts as methods of fulfulling the Survival of the Fittest law. Basically this all means that I could kill you, your family, your community and use natural selection as a justifiable reason to survive. "Hey, if you're dead, that means there is 1 less person that can harm me." People who reject God and follow this idea really have no right to be offended at, say, terrorist attacks or any other acts our society has condemned.
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
JonathanT Wrote:Morals are the ideas we have that keep ourselves alive, which aren't to be confused with laws, which punishes 'wrong' morals with demerits.

If God didn't create us, we would've had to devise our own morals, which means we'd still be apes since our lowly natural quality of deception gets the best of us when there's no 'Bigger Ape' to punish our bad deeds. This also means that natural selection is our dictactor, allowing us to justify our sick acts as methods of fulfulling the Survival of the Fittest law. Basically this all means that I could kill you, your family, your community and use natural selection as a justifiable reason to survive. "Hey, if you're dead, that means there is 1 less person that can harm me." People who reject God and follow this idea really have no right to be offended at, say, terrorist attacks or any other acts our society has condemned.

*sigh* I don't believe in a God that punishes humanity, and I have no "Bigger Ape" above me. I'm still a morally good person, I think. Secondly, how are terroist attacks natural selection? Finally, does my family pose a threat to you? No. Therefore, not natural selection if you decided to murder 'em.
12-19-2008, 02:17 PM
JonathanT Wrote:If God didn't create us, we would've had to devise our own morals, which means we'd still be apes since our lowly natural quality of deception gets the best of us when there's no 'Bigger Ape' to punish our bad deeds.

or if there is no magical "bigger ape" the greater collective of apes will band together and expell the trouble makers...

JonathanT Wrote:This also means that natural selection is our dictactor, allowing us to justify our sick acts as methods of fulfulling the Survival of the Fittest law.

unless those acts disrupt the peaceful flow of society, then those disrupters are are expelled from society by the majority.

JonathanT Wrote:Basically this all means that I could kill you, your family, your community and use natural selection as a justifiable reason to survive. "Hey, if you're dead, that means there is 1 less person that can harm me."

true, you can use that defense but that doesnt mean the community will see it as a positive action against the greater good. you will be punished as a law breaker and expelled from society.

JonathanT Wrote:People who reject God and follow this idea really have no right to be offended at, say, terrorist attacks or any other acts our society has condemned.

this is unfounded and borderline offensive. you think that because i dont believe in your imaginary superman i want to see innocent people murdered? i dont see people blowing up buildings or cars in the name of science or atheisim.

[censored]!

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Values vs Morals Achrelos 21 2,547 06-22-2015 10:58 AM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  what do you know about morals and so on. BuddhaThaSnake 0 358 06-18-2014 04:26 PM
Last Post: BuddhaThaSnake
  Are Morals from God? EqualAtheist 120 10,092 09-01-2013 10:56 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  It feels right to kill people? A theoretical question of morals. Aum 20 2,457 01-12-2013 03:10 PM
Last Post: Adi Baba

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)