Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A question for atheists
05-20-2010, 03:30 PM
A question for atheists
This is an honest question, to see if my parents actions/views would be commonplace among other atheists. I know this is not a big enough sample, but go with me here, please. If they don't apply, go wih a hypothetical, please?

1. If you have/had children, how would you raise them with regards to religion and spirituality?

2. How would you react if they wanted to explore religion?

3. How would you react if they came to a belief in a deity or deities, and converted to a religion?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2010, 01:57 AM
RE: A question for atheists
(05-20-2010 03:30 PM)Adhara Wrote:  This is an honest question, to see if my parents actions/views would be commonplace among other atheists. I know this is not a big enough sample, but go with me here, please. If they don't apply, go wih a hypothetical, please?

1. If you have/had children, how would you raise them with regards to religion and spirituality?

I'd read world mythologies to them like all parents do.

Quote:2. How would you react if they wanted to explore religion?

buy them whatever books they want.

Quote:3. How would you react if they came to a belief in a deity or deities, and converted to a religion?

I'm sorry, but that wouldn't happen. sufficient perspective changes you on the inside. Any child of mine would have enough direct experience and
skepticism to never rely upon a belief system.
05-21-2010, 07:56 AM
(05-21-2010 01:57 AM)prometheuspan Wrote:  Any child of mine would have enough direct experience and

Famous last words...
05-21-2010, 08:38 AM
(05-21-2010 07:56 AM)digipixel Wrote:  
(05-21-2010 01:57 AM)prometheuspan Wrote:  Any child of mine would have enough direct experience and

Famous last words...

i disagree, but i can see how that might look suspicious if you didn't have
real access.
05-21-2010, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2010 08:49 AM by StarStuff.)
(05-20-2010 03:30 PM)Adhara Wrote:  1. If you have/had children, how would you raise them with regards to religion and spirituality?

I would not make any attempt to lead them to believe or disbelieve anything in particular. I'd probably read to them from whatever mythologies I could find; greek, roman, judeo-christian, norse, etc. Of course, these would be mixed in with the other fictional books I'd read to them, such as works by Bruce Coville, Madeleine L'Engle, Lynn Reed Banks, and others among my own childhood favorites.

Quote:2. How would you react if they wanted to explore religion?

I would have no objections.

Quote:3. How would you react if they came to a belief in a deity or deities, and converted to a religion?

I would be fully supportive of them.
05-21-2010, 09:10 AM
It is truly wonderful to see how the childless intend to bring up their children, when and if they have them. I really mean that with all sincerity and humility. I did exactly that 30 odd years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
Unfortunately reality stuck it's ugly nose into our plans. Between you and I reality won.
Please don't construe this to mean that you can not have dreams, aspirations or plans. Just be aware that "the best laid plans of mice and men"

????????????????
05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:I'm sorry, but that wouldn't happen. sufficient perspective changes you on the inside. Any child of mine would have enough direct experience and

Funny, both my parents said the same thing when my brother and I were teens. We're both theists now.

And Geoffrey Taucer, I'm glad you would be fully supportive.
05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
At the time I was helping to raise our daughter, I was a Catholic. We raised her in that tradition. Sent her to Catholic schools, helped out with religious instruction, attended Mass regularly. Essentially, we tried our best. But she refused to accept the beliefs of Catholicism and eventually became an atheist. Her decision was greatly disappointing to me because I truly believed in the Church, but I honored her decision and respected her choice.

Now, I too am an atheist (not due to her influence, but entirely on my own). If I had another child I would raise them to be skeptical of outlandish claims from all directions, whether from religion, media, music, or that ShamWow! guy. If they chose to join a religion, I would certainly be disappointed, but understanding.

I certainly think it's reasonable to attempt to influence a child to accept your beliefs. But more than that, it's also our job to teach them to think for themselves and make up their own minds. I don't think I have the right to force any decisions on anybody. In the end, the decision is theirs alone.

---------------
Not selling anything.
05-25-2010, 09:27 PM
(05-23-2010 11:38 AM)MerryAtheist Wrote:  At the time I was helping to raise our daughter, I was a Catholic. We raised her in that tradition. Sent her to Catholic schools, helped out with religious instruction, attended Mass regularly. Essentially, we tried our best. But she refused to accept the beliefs of Catholicism and eventually became an atheist. Her decision was greatly disappointing to me because I truly believed in the Church, but I honored her decision and respected her choice.

Now, I too am an atheist (not due to her influence, but entirely on my own). If I had another child I would raise them to be skeptical of outlandish claims from all directions, whether from religion, media, music, or that ShamWow! guy. If they chose to join a religion, I would certainly be disappointed, but understanding.

I certainly think it's reasonable to attempt to influence a child to accept your beliefs. But more than that, it's also our job to teach them to think for themselves and make up their own minds. I don't think I have the right to force any decisions on anybody. In the end, the decision is theirs alone.

Yes I agree, TOO MANY people LOOSE there own ABILITY to learn the truth by being FORCED to follow one particular religious belief, instead of being allowed to experience LIFE for themselves, and learn as much as they can about everything, and formulate there own opinions.

I was raised Roman Catholic, I only had to READ some history to realize that was a BAD choice....

Me personally the GOD of the

Christians/Catholics/Muslims/Jews

is a FAIRY TALE anyways.....we might as well WORSHIP UNICORNS...

I do believe in other beings that have evolved a conscious, and that the universe is filled with billions of living beings some conscious and some not, some would be geniuses to us, others would be amoebas....

GOD to me, is the Planetary/Universal consciousness/Energy...

:-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2010, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2010 11:53 PM by IMtM.)
(05-25-2010 09:27 PM)prdamico Wrote:  GOD to me, is the Planetary/Universal consciousness/Energy...
I agree. God is the sum total of all existence, not some peeping-Tom in the sky judging our every action. But such depiction of God is at best suggestive, by necessity. We, as humans, can not perceive the Infinite ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ein_Sof ). Thus, at best, we can use such depictions as a DIRECTIVE toward our Aim, rather than a rationalistic definition.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I have question for atheists svetlana 78 10,245 12-18-2014 05:58 AM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  A Question For Atheists--friendly-like :) IMtM 52 8,866 12-02-2014 10:58 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  A Whopping Question For Atheists IMtM 51 6,199 10-25-2014 01:29 AM
Last Post: s2a
  A Big Question to Atheists IMtM 4 1,065 06-28-2013 12:05 PM
Last Post: IMtM
  question for atheists derprinz 77 7,835 02-18-2013 02:20 PM
Last Post: JohnnyRelentless
  Yet Another Question For Atheists IMtM 12 2,294 06-15-2012 05:20 AM
Last Post: For the love of god

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)