Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A question on Catholicism and suicide
12-29-2009, 03:52 AM
A question on Catholicism and suicide
A friend of mine from a support group committed suicide tonight, and I just found out. I know she was a devout Catholic, and I'm concerned -- not because I believe in Catholicism, far from it, but because I know how important her faith was to her.

I know from Catholic school, which I attended briefly, as well as from Catholic family, that suicide is very frowned upon, and that funeral masses are not permitted for someone who commits suicide -- I was wondering if this was still true, or whether the church had loosened it's stance.
Find all posts by this user
12-29-2009, 03:59 AM
RE: A question on Catholicism and suicide
(12-29-2009 03:52 AM)Aingeal Wrote:  A friend of mine from a support group committed suicide tonight, and I just found out. I know she was a devout Catholic, and I'm concerned -- not because I believe in Catholicism, far from it, but because I know how important her faith was to her.

I know from Catholic school, which I attended briefly, as well as from Catholic family, that suicide is very frowned upon, and that funeral masses are not permitted for someone who commits suicide -- I was wondering if this was still true, or whether the church had loosened it's stance.

I would not call you a liar - A devout Catholic?

More like a baptised Catholic - who has not seen The Inside of A Catholic Church in years
12-29-2009, 04:08 AM
(12-29-2009 03:59 AM)catholicstation Wrote:  
(12-29-2009 03:52 AM)Aingeal Wrote:  A friend of mine from a support group committed suicide tonight, and I just found out. I know she was a devout Catholic, and I'm concerned -- not because I believe in Catholicism, far from it, but because I know how important her faith was to her.

More like a baptised Catholic - who has not seen The Inside of A Catholic Church in years

Please, you don't know the circumstances. Try devout Catholic who went to Mass three times a week without fail. The members in the group have been taking turns going with her for three months so she didn't have to go alone.

You seem awfully quick to judge without knowing circumstances. All I want to know is whether she will be able to have a funeral mass and be buried according to her faith. I'm not looking to debate on it, nor to hear any aspersion cast on her by someone who didn't even know her.
12-29-2009, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2009 04:11 AM by catholicstation.)
(12-29-2009 04:08 AM)Aingeal Wrote:  

Please, you don't know the circumstances. Try devout Catholic who went to Mass three times a week without fail. The members in the group have been taking turns going with her for three months so she didn't have to go alone.

You seem awfully quick to judge without knowing circumstances. All I want to know is whether she will be able to have a funeral mass and be buried according to her faith. I'm not looking to debate on it, nor to hear any aspersion cast on her by someone who didn't even know her.

You seem awfully quick to judge without knowing circumstances
--------------------------------------------------------------
Post the obit & death certificate then I will know the circumstances
12-29-2009, 04:18 AM
(12-29-2009 04:10 AM)catholicstation Wrote:  

Did you miss the part where she killed herself tonight?

She was a rape victim, and she conceived from it. She wouldn't have an abortion due to her faith, but according to her mother, who called me -- she felt it kick and had a panic attack. They thought they had calmed her down, and then they woke two hours ago to a gunshot.

There. Now would you be so kind as to tell me whether or not she will be able to have a funeral mass. I just want to know whether the church will bury her like she'd have wanted. I'm not interested in judgement on my friend who was in a lot of pain.
12-29-2009, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2009 04:24 AM by catholicstation.)
(12-29-2009 04:18 AM)Aingeal Wrote:  

She was a rape victim, and she conceived from it. She wouldn't have an abortion due to her faith, but according to her mother, who called me -- she felt it kick and had a panic attack. They thought they had calmed her down, and then they woke two hours ago to a gunshot.

There. Now would you be so kind as to tell me whether or not she will be able to have a funeral mass. I just want to know whether the church will bury her like she'd have wanted. I'm not interested in judgement on my friend who was in a lot of pain.

Did you miss the part where she killed herself tonight?Did you miss the part where she killed herself tonight?

Yea She killed herself because she missed your text msg

If she killed herself and You cared about her - You would not be on your damn computer tonight
12-29-2009, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2009 09:43 PM by Parousia.)
(12-29-2009 04:23 AM)catholicstation Wrote:  

Did you miss the part where she killed herself tonight?Did you miss the part where she killed herself tonight?

If she killed herself and You cared about her - You would not be on your damn computer tonight

[censored]! This is called I COULDN'T [censored] SLEEP AND WANTED TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO HER BODY.

I CAN'T GET TO HER FAMILY BECAUSE I DON'T [censored] DRIVE, OR ELSE I WOULD NOT BE HERE. AS IT IS, MY ONLY RESOURCE FOR CATHOLICISM AT 4:26 IN THE BLOODY MORNING IS THE INTERNET.
12-29-2009, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2009 09:43 PM by Parousia.)
(12-29-2009 04:27 AM)Aingeal Wrote:  
(12-29-2009 04:23 AM)catholicstation Wrote:  

[deleted]

If She killed herself and You cared about her - You would not have been on your damn computer and would be in a CAB right now!
12-29-2009, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2009 09:44 PM by Parousia.)
12-29-2009, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2009 09:45 PM by Parousia.)
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jewish roots of Catholicism SaintMatthew 4 1,080 01-25-2015 06:11 PM
Last Post: SaintMatthew
  Catholicism Q&A Annolennar 36 6,593 03-14-2010 08:53 AM
Last Post: TheCatholic

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)