Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A soul.
05-27-2011, 12:26 AM
A soul.
Something that I was thinking about today was about a soul.

What is your definition of a soul and how is that definition measurable to reality and fact?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2011, 07:47 AM
RE: A soul.
I don't believe that there is any such thing. The only reason to believe that you have a soul is the belief that there will be somewhere for it to go after you corporeal body ceases to function.

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how. - Nietzsche
05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Hello,

The philosopher descartes defined the soul as 'the thing that thinks'. According to this definition the brain is the entity which performs the material actions while the soul represents the person, the 'I' so to speak.
05-27-2011, 02:28 PM
(05-27-2011 08:14 AM)Hamza Abdulhakim Wrote:  Hello,

The philosopher descartes defined the soul as 'the thing that thinks'. According to this definition the brain is the entity which performs the material actions while the soul represents the person, the 'I' so to speak.

Yes .. of course we have a soul. Whether you consider it infinite or solely dependent on the material is another matter.
05-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Are you basing that "of course" on something solid, Isa, or are you just really certain that we MUST have?
05-27-2011, 05:39 PM
(05-27-2011 04:54 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Are you basing that "of course" on something solid, Isa, or are you just really certain that we MUST have?

Hamza has already answered that .. it's down to definition.
Soul .. pysche .. we all have one .. we're all individuals, albeit with inherited characteristics, our own experiences, motives etc.

Psychiatry often distinguishes between the body and the mind which is a very useful concept. I don't personally believe that modern drugs can "cure" diseases of the mind alone .. saying that they are only a physical brain disorder is a gross simplification to say the least.
Body and mind work in conjunction and the health of one affects the other Praise
05-27-2011, 06:50 PM
(05-27-2011 05:39 PM)isa_muhammad Wrote:  
(05-27-2011 04:54 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Are you basing that "of course" on something solid, Isa, or are you just really certain that we MUST have?

Hamza has already answered that .. it's down to definition.
Soul .. pysche .. we all have one .. we're all individuals, albeit with inherited characteristics, our own experiences, motives etc.

Psychiatry often distinguishes between the body and the mind which is a very useful concept. I don't personally believe that modern drugs can "cure" diseases of the mind alone .. saying that they are only a physical brain disorder is a gross simplification to say the least.
Body and mind work in conjunction and the health of one affects the other Praise

Forced to agree with Isa?!?! What's next, cats and dogs living together?
05-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Quote:The only reason to believe that you have a soul is the belief that there will be somewhere for it to go after you corporeal body ceases to function.

I disagree Flip. Vodou believes in two souls, every sect, but not every sect believes in an afterlife.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
(05-27-2011 09:48 PM)Clementine Wrote:  
Quote:The only reason to believe that you have a soul is the belief that there will be somewhere for it to go after you corporeal body ceases to function.

I disagree Flip. Vodou believes in two souls, every sect, but not every sect believes in an afterlife.

I didn't know that, but that is hardly a surprise! So if they don't believe in an afterlife what is the purpose of the soul and where does it go when the body ceases to function?

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how. - Nietzsche
05-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Quote:So if they don't believe in an afterlife what is the purpose of the soul

It's what ties them to their lwa "parent."

Quote:and where does it go when the body ceases to function?

It simply ceases to exist.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  are we 2[mind,body and soul]? or only one, the soul? harcharanjit 3 1,083 12-09-2008 08:32 AM
Last Post: smellycat

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)