Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
African Trophy Hunting
11-28-2017, 09:01 AM
RE: African Trophy Hunting
Funny I was sort of thinking the same thing about both you and Herminator. When I read Lance's posts he's doing his Jesus soul glow thing and from his posts Muhammed Isa seems to be letting his Islamilight shine. Although I don't know either of them they seem to both be here in their quest for knowledge.

When I go into a forum it's always good to make a few grammatical errors to flush out the trollers and mischief makers. It let's me know who's on a site seeking knowledge and who is throwing stones at people passing by each thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2017, 12:09 PM
(11-28-2017 09:01 AM)George Chandler Wrote:  When I go into a forum it's always good to make a few grammatical errors to flush out the trollers and mischief makers.

Good for you. The deity I believe in doesn’t test people in that way. Seems the Pharisees, however, did.
~ Angel
11-29-2017, 04:39 PM
I think Hunting for Sport is disgusting. And saying that it saves the population is ridiculous. One might wonder how these same people would react if someone were to say "Well, the human population is on the decline. The best way to fix it, would be to allow rich people to pay large amounts of money to kill a few. Then we might see some real conservation of humans!"

It's like (I think) John Oliver said. You go around and kill a Lion, and people think "oh, that's cool." But you go around and kill some alley cats, and mount THEIR heads on a wall... chances are most people will think you're a monster. Well, I think both are monsters. Killing for sport is despicable.

When people ask me if I've found Jesus, I usually tell them they should look the last place they put him.
11-29-2017, 09:21 PM
(11-29-2017 04:39 PM)Alexa Wrote:  I think Hunting for Sport is disgusting. And saying that it saves the population is ridiculous.

Alexa, I don’t blame you if you dislike the activity, yet there are ethics in hunting. In Utah, if you hunt deer, you cannot waste the carcass. You must butcher the meat and put it in a cold storage locker, or face up to 6 months in jail and a fine in thousands of dollars. You aren’t required to use the hide, although as it’s worth over $100, most hunters do. That’s where my buckskin jacket came from, after I paid a seamstress to make it. That garment will last longer than my own body will.

Deer face virtually no natural predators in Utah, the mountain lion population that preys on them only a few hundred strong statewide. Deer will multiply, browse their habitat to exhaustion, then starve come winter. Many already do die each winter, for various reasons. Utah boasts more than 300K deer in its herd.

Death by violence or painful disease is ubiquitous within the animal world; Bambi best get smart fast, run, and hide, or she may die. Except we hunters can’t take her; we’re permitted bucks only, not does. There’s a fine for shooting a doe by mistake.

My last hunt was October 2016, as I was too depressed, and drinking too much, to take my car and gun into the field this year. For the human safety issue also looms. Hunters must wear blaze orange, yet hikers and kids not so clothed may be in the backdrop or foreground within your field of fire. If you accidentally shoot a person, you’re likely going to jail. And you’ll pay, in the civil suit. Strict liability applies.

I may never hunt again. I’ve shot only one buck in about 25 years going out, and physically I’m no longer up to slogging steep hills through oak brush. Yet Utah must have a hunt, to keep the deer population in balance with ecological limits. Or we can let them denude the hillsides of dicotelydonous vegetation, and die of hunger once their food’s gone. I’m sorry that these are the facts.

Big game permits & harvest data
Utah DWR
https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-uta...-data.html

2014 hunt after mild previous winter
St. George News
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archiv...h9mWVWnGCo
12-02-2017, 10:56 AM
I don't have as much issue with hunting for food, as I do with hunting for sport. People like to kill Big Game so they can mount their heads on walls. To me, that is despicable. Especially when it's an animal that's endangered or threatened. Because one day, kids may ask "Were Rhino's real?" "Did Tigers really exist?" "What were Lions like?"

When people ask me if I've found Jesus, I usually tell them they should look the last place they put him.
12-03-2017, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 11:48 AM by Amememhab.)
(12-02-2017 10:56 AM)Alexa Wrote:  People like to kill Big Game so they can mount their heads on walls. To me, that is despicable.

Yeah, Alexa. I find it a bit egotistical, too, reminding me of the obese art thief and Nazi Hermann Göring’s Carinhall at Wuckersee, Brandenburg, Germany, which in its main hall foisted dozens such animal trophies, their glass taxidermist’s eyes staring down at you in a most intimidating manner.

My treasured Winchester Model 94 lever-action carbine looks to retire for good, being used only at the rifle range to fire at the black silhouettes of rack bucks on paper from 50 yards. I tried to hit the vital heart-lung region of the paper deer’s forward torso, when carefully sober 48 hours, which brings it a death in one to two minutes, yet some of my shots had gone wild, missing the paper target altogether! What’s wrong with little Amememhab lately?

I can’t take that gun into the field this way. What if my errant .30-.30 projectile overflew the buck’s head, and proceeded another quarter mile downrange to mushroom in the skull of an 8-year old girl playing in the groves of scrub oak clothing our mountain hillsides red in autumn leaf, terminating a brief human life? I’d never live down that day of guilt, even if the courts didn’t jail me for it.

And I did mention it’s illegal to waste deer in Utah during its 10-day annual rifle harvest. I took my buck to the butcher and shelved the venison in a rented cold storage locker, donating most of it to the homeless shelter as how’d I eat 55lbs of meat? I kept eight steaks for myself. They had a rough, gamey flavor but the meat was good, pink texture and fine grain. Although that buck died, some of its carbon atoms and amino acid molecules became parts of Amememhab, still in my body today.

Mother Nature lets little go to waste. When I die, my atoms will build the stuff of new living things, trees in Utah’s parks and the yearling bucks which browse them.
~ Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)