Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Am I going to finally agree to the idea of a possible god?
07-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Am I going to finally agree to the idea of a possible god?
My immediate family has never been religious. Kinda my mom, and my aunt especially is very religious but my dad is just horrible and ruined belief of religion for my brother and I. I am almost 17 now and started thinking about things. I know there are paranormal occurrences so it made me think, if there are demons, why can't there be angels? And if there's angels then why can there not be a god? Lately I've been trying to yield my thoughts to this way. I tried praying for things that would be weird and unusual to occur, surprisingly....they did occur. But for me there's still that part that maybe it's just a coincident and of course nobody can be 100% dead on for sure someone/thing is out there(at this moment in time....). There already is verifiable evidence of the supernatural, I wonder if we are just waiting to discover the biggest yet.

Also do you guys think it's weird I have never read the bible? Cause I mean even some people I have met that are solid non believers have read it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2010, 08:09 AM
RE: Am I going to finally agree to the idea of a possible god?
Actually if it was verifiable evidence then the phenomenon wouldn't be supernatural. Supernatural implies something above nature. I'd be somewhat interested to hear what you think this evidence is, but that's not really the topic you're talking about. Everyone has to think of what they feel the paranormal is.

There's nothing wrong with no reading the bible. There's some interesting moral bits, but as literature it really doesn't hold up. It's very boring at times, and some parts are just... wrong. But if you're thinking of believing in god, I recommend you read it. Read it cover to cover. Don't let yourself believe in god until you do. And as you're reading it, read critically. Don't make excuses for the morality presented in the bible. Yes, it's a product of a more morally backward age... but you make that kind of excuse for an actual book, not for a book that is supposedly the word of god.

If you still think the bible is good after reading about all the objectification of women, advocation of slavery, murder, hatred, bigotry, homophobia, and other problems in nearly every book, then fine. But read it critically. Look at what the bible is saying.

Oh, and remember that a literal reading of the bible is directly contradicted by reality as we know it through proven, testable science. So you have to be okay with it being a fairy tale as well.

But now I'm just projecting an objective response onto you. Read it, figure out what you think. And if you feel like it, tell me about this supposed definitive evidence for the supernatural, because I haven't heard of it yet.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
07-06-2010, 11:50 AM
(07-06-2010 06:30 AM)kateTKZ Wrote:  My immediate family has never been religious. Kinda my mom, and my aunt especially is very religious but my dad is just horrible and ruined belief of religion for my brother and I. I am almost 17 now and started thinking about things. I know there are paranormal occurrences so it made me think, if there are demons, why can't there be angels? And if there's angels then why can there not be a god? Lately I've been trying to yield my thoughts to this way. I tried praying for things that would be weird and unusual to occur, surprisingly....they did occur. But for me there's still that part that maybe it's just a coincident and of course nobody can be 100% dead on for sure someone/thing is out there(at this moment in time....). There already is verifiable evidence of the supernatural, I wonder if we are just waiting to discover the biggest yet.

Also do you guys think it's weird I have never read the bible? Cause I mean even some people I have met that are solid non believers have read it.
you stand by your own beliefs and dont let anybody knock you .
07-06-2010, 11:59 AM
You may want to take a look at this I wrote it may help answer some of the questions you're trying to answer.
07-06-2010, 02:44 PM
(07-06-2010 06:30 AM)kateTKZ Wrote:  There already is verifiable evidence of the supernatural, I wonder if we are just waiting to discover the biggest yet.

What evidence? Can you post a link to a peer reviewed scientific journal to verify this "evidence" that you speak of?

(07-06-2010 06:30 AM)kateTKZ Wrote:  I tried praying for things that would be weird and unusual to occur, surprisingly....they did occur.

Try praying to a gallon of milk. It will give you the same ratio of unanswered to answered prayers.
07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
(07-06-2010 06:30 AM)kateTKZ Wrote:  I tried praying for things that would be weird and unusual to occur, surprisingly....they did occur.

Such as?
07-06-2010, 02:58 PM
(07-06-2010 06:30 AM)kateTKZ Wrote:  My immediate family has never been religious. Kinda my mom, and my aunt especially is very religious but my dad is just horrible and ruined belief of religion for my brother and I. I am almost 17 now and started thinking about things. I know there are paranormal occurrences so it made me think, if there are demons, why can't there be angels? And if there's angels then why can there not be a god? Lately I've been trying to yield my thoughts to this way. I tried praying for things that would be weird and unusual to occur, surprisingly....they did occur. But for me there's still that part that maybe it's just a coincident and of course nobody can be 100% dead on for sure someone/thing is out there(at this moment in time....). There already is verifiable evidence of the supernatural, I wonder if we are just waiting to discover the biggest yet.

Hi Kate, I think it's great that you're giving spiritual matters some thought despite your past experiences.

I'd be wary of drawing any conclusions from what you've said here though. You say you know demons are real, but I've never seen any evidence for them, and the cases I do know of where people claim possession or hauntings by demonic forces have all turned out to be frauds or the result of psychological disorders.

Also, you have to ask yourself, would an almighty creator deity who turns a blind eye to the suffering of millions of starving, diseased and oppressed people the world over really grant the "weird" prayers of someone only out to test his existence? I'm not trying to be patronising to you, praying for things is a common thing for seekers of religion to do when they start out, for example I knew one girl who converted to LDS Christianity because she prayed for good weather for her BBQ and got it.
Just giving you some food for thought.

And no, it's not weird that you haven't read the Bible, it's really quite dull. If you're going to start anywhere then start with Ecclesiastes, then go to the Gospels before tackling the "begats" and "thou shalts" of the old testament.

The greatest strength is in resisting provocation.
07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
If the Bible must be read, it is best to do so in the original Klingon.

---------------
Not selling anything.
07-06-2010, 10:25 PM
"Klingon, Klingon Reverend Moon, up in the sky.."
07-07-2010, 12:28 AM
(07-06-2010 10:25 PM)biomystic Wrote:  "Klingon, Klingon Reverend Moon, up in the sky.."

Okay, I admit I don't get the reference.

---------------
Not selling anything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I don't agree with the moral nature of God MattMVS7 45 1,984 12-12-2016 11:27 PM
Last Post: PeterPants
  How do you feel about the idea of a god or goddess having more than one name? AzothWho:87 5 678 11-06-2015 10:30 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
Wink Isn't it a good idea?? noorashrk 3 840 07-13-2013 09:11 PM
Last Post: mary jaye
  I have no idea what religion my mom is. Day Emay Eray 4 660 04-08-2013 10:26 PM
Last Post: Day Emay Eray
  Degeneration of Religion, do you agree? tinyeshe 1 318 05-14-2012 07:42 AM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  Do you have any idea about Islam ? rayan.g 1 549 07-06-2011 12:28 AM
Last Post: kevlar
  I have finally been conviced that god exists StarStuff 7 1,215 12-02-2010 05:36 PM
Last Post: biomystic
  Finally enlightenment for some misguided Christians. Will Islam follow? Greatest I am 20 3,450 05-13-2010 12:15 AM
Last Post: TheJackel
  The Idea of Saints in Christianity minus459 3 816 01-26-2010 12:17 PM
Last Post: minus459

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)