Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Amenemhab speaks
10-09-2017, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 06:48 AM by Amememhab.)
Wink Amenemhab speaks
The Blog Threads subforum seems a good place to put a personal introduction, as no one’s done so in the Introductions section for nearly two months—and this bulletin board has nearly 6000 registered users, meaning it’s getting a new registration nearly every day.

I am a semi-disabled male aged 53, from Utah, USA. I have some knowledge of biblical, Protestant Christianity and a history of churchgoing, but do not consider myself religious. I’m not here to ram the gospel down anyone’s throat. The world is filled with evangelists who do that.

At the same time, any admission of sympathy for this belief system on a forum of this kind usually brings a cloud of Richard Dawkins acolytes who descend like flies to inform you how ignorant you are. Please, not with me. I’ve heard most of the arguments for and against Christianity and weighed the relative merits of each. Is Bishop Desmond Tutu really an uneducated redneck showing no tolerance toward anyone who doesn’t take the Anglican communion?

I hope to find engaging discussions but prefer not to thrash the timeworn morality and creation versus evolution debates that clog the European and North American political landscapes. I’ll let Bill Maher duke it out with Andrew Schlafly on TV.

Which should about wrap it up. Although I may post further commentary on this thread, I think I will spend my first week here mostly reading other users’ posts to learn who’s who. Seems there are quite a few old timers, of the kind who tend dominate the board and take a proprietary interest in it—perfectly legitimate, as they’re usually the ones paying to run a forum. I haven’t given this forum a dime and probably never will, as my money resources are limited.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2017, 09:48 AM
RE: Amenemhab speaks
Welcome Amem, although as you point out there are thousands of registered users you will find that there is a very small group of regular posters using this site. If you have any questions please ask Yefet or myself, the two currently active mods.
10-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the forum

Click Here to know more about Islam
10-13-2017, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 10:15 AM by Amememhab.)
Friday, October 13, 2017. Venus comes up over the mountain, skyglow begins, and then the sun of another day, shining down from a baby blue sky with crows cawing in the trees across the street. Pain is my constant companion now. Hand on my shoulder, Pain will accompany me to the grave. It is difficult to walk far, or even to drive, and I can’t do much about it. Bad hip. It’s humbled me. Now I know how little my ego and my wants matter in this cosmos, and how soon I will be snuffed out like an insect reaching the end of its life in the first frosts of autumn.

For my stay here, this means I need not try to control the board, beating down any who resist my viewpoints—which have already been challenged. Assumptions about me are likely to be wrong, because I’m not a Red State conservative, yet I beg to differ from liberal orthodoxy on a number of points, a thing which causes debating opponents to adjudge me as one.

The forum does carry some intriguing discussions. Often, these are on fossil threads from five or ten years ago, when apparently more members were active than are here today. So, I’ve got reading to catch up on. Best hop to it!

(10-09-2017 09:37 PM)KAYSER Wrote:  Welcome to the forum

Thanks, Kayser and everyone else.
10-14-2017, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2017 10:53 AM by Amememhab.)
Saturday, October 14, 2017. Another glorious sun. I am hurting. I am a sick drunk who, like the dog, returns to his own vomit and laps it up. I make my own pain worse. To confess here, to let all the dirty personal laundry hang in public view, is trendy in our tell-all society. But I need to acknowledge the fact that I’ve veered off the better path I was on the first month out of the hospital. Perhaps I’ll get with it soon. Right now I’d like to curl up and die. I am glad the god I believe in is lenient—giving me plenty of rope to hang myself with. And it’s such a nice day. How many still pending in my lifetime? I’m not a young buck anymore. I must consider my demise, which I can do nothing to stop in the long run.

And the dog behaves with decorum as he does his dirty business, unlike me. I did not use my deer tags today; this year my Model 94 will rest in its locked metal case during hunting season—I don’t deserve the privilege of wielding it right now.
10-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Sounds depressing - I wish you strength.

(and a delayed "welcome" to you - you sound like a welcome addition to the forum!)

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
10-14-2017, 06:23 PM
(10-14-2017 01:01 PM)Herminator Wrote:  Sounds depressing...

Well, there you are, Herminator. Worry not. I’m not feeling sorry for myself, and I’m taking fluoxetine to help reduce the activity of depressive thoughts. And the medication works, promising no easy “cure” yet far better than nothing.

We live in an Age of Science I’m grateful to have been born into. imagine what I see when I look up to the sky, which Leonardo da Vinci (ca. 1500) could only dream of—a flying machine, over a mile up and descending toward the airport, far faster than any bird. This in no way detracts from the wondrousness of the bird. The Boeing 777’s pilot’s gonna have a hard time maneuvering that plane into the crown of an American elm, one of the few surviving the Dutch elm disease, to land on one of its branches, where crows do it with hardly a thought.

But I am in the last third of this three-period ball game. Everything I do will be more difficult than it used to be, as I turn into a wizened, bent-over stick of the kind I saw parading on walkers in my youth. It’s changed my perspective on life. It’s such a precious, fragile thing, to be a human being. I’ll board one of those flying machines, to see my family far away at Christmas.
10-14-2017, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2017 09:02 PM by Imprecise Interrupt.)
(10-14-2017 06:23 PM)Amememhab Wrote:  
(10-14-2017 01:01 PM)Herminator Wrote:  Sounds depressing...

Well, there you are, Herminator. Worry not. I’m not feeling sorry for myself, and I’m taking fluoxetine to help reduce the activity of depressive thoughts. And the medication works, promising no easy “cure” yet far better than nothing.

We live in an Age of Science I’m grateful to have been born into. imagine what I see when I look up to the sky, which Leonardo da Vinci (ca. 1500) could only dream of—a flying machine, over a mile up and descending toward the airport, far faster than any bird. This in no way detracts from the wondrousness of the bird. The Boeing 777’s pilot’s gonna have a hard time maneuvering that plane into the crown of an American elm, one of the few surviving the Dutch elm disease, to land on one of its branches, where crows do it with hardly a thought.

But I am in the last third of this three-period ball game. Everything I do will be more difficult than it used to be, as I turn into a wizened, bent-over stick of the kind I saw parading on walkers in my youth. It’s changed my perspective on life. It’s such a precious, fragile thing, to be a human being. I’ll board one of those flying machines, to see my family far away at Christmas.

If you are in the third period of your life, that is not so bad considering that you started in the 18th Dynasty. Big Grin

My own take on things is that the only day there ever is, is today. I do not worry about how many more todays there will be. It will always be today until it isn't today any more. No matter, I will not know it. But I do know about depression. And I know about being seriously physically restricted, for over fifty years now. And pain as well. In my case I had time to come to terms with all of them, mostly beating two of the three.

None of this ameliorates what you are experiencing now, of course. Just saying that I appreciate where you are at. I do not know if empathy and pop philosophy have any value to you. But they are what I have to offer.

Early Happy Christmas wishes to you and your family.

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
10-15-2017, 06:06 AM
Sunday, October 15, 2017 with crescent moon up, delicious golden-white sunshine again in forecast. 435 years ago today, by edict of Pope Gregory XIII, Thursday, October 4, 1582 in Rome was followed by the day called Friday, October 15. That year it was a truncated, three-week month, with landlords warned to prorate the rent. But we failed to hit the desired weekday this year, to celebrate a supposedly unlucky Friday the 13th instead.

(10-14-2017 08:37 PM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  My own take on things is that the only day there ever is, is today...None of this ameliorates what you are experiencing now, of course. Just saying that I appreciate where you are at. I do not know if empathy and pop philosophy have any value to you. But they are what I have to offer...

Thanks for the sweet post. Your profile page says you’re a good 20 years my senior, so I can’t complain to you about aches, pains, and mortality. I’m frankly astonished at the stamina you possess, to write so much material on this forum, a thing I may not be doing at 75. The mobility limitations I face are niggling, bothersome, but not severe as of now. I’m taking a leave of absence and will resume work in January. That’s another good circumstance, to have a longtime boss who has given me that space.

I relapsed into drinking and smoking after almost five years’ abstinence. Disappointing, to say the least. I think I’ll get back on the quit again, but haven’t done so as yet. It’s just that this is the first time I’ve had to confront the reality of aging. Life, even if reasonably long for most people, is temporary. This is a new phase, and I need to wise up.

[Image: 28le0sw.jpg]
10-15-2017, 08:50 PM
(10-15-2017 06:06 AM)Amememhab Wrote:  Sunday, October 15, 2017 with crescent moon up, delicious golden-white sunshine again in forecast. 435 years ago today, by edict of Pope Gregory XIII, Thursday, October 4, 1582 in Rome was followed by the day called Friday, October 15. That year it was a truncated, three-week month, with landlords warned to prorate the rent. But we failed to hit the desired weekday this year, to celebrate a supposedly unlucky Friday the 13th instead.

Since quite a few countries refused to honor the Pope’s decree, there was long lasting confusions on dates. In addition to the skipped 10 days, the change in leap year rules (skip leap year 3 century years out of 4) caused the difference to grow over time. Most Orthodox Christian churches still use the Julian calendar for calculating dates for Christmas and other feast days. Orthodox Christmas is currently on Gregorian January 7, 13 days after Gregorian December 25. The difference is the original 10 days plus the skipped leap days for 1700, 1800 and 1900. According to the Gregorian rule, 1600 and 2000 were leap years.

(10-15-2017 06:06 AM)Amememhab Wrote:  profile page says you’re a good 20 years my senior …. I’m frankly astonished at the stamina you possess, to write so much material on this forum, a thing I may not be doing at 75.

I was a computer professional for 35 years, being responsible for installing, maintaining and troubleshooting IBM mainframe operating systems and subordinate software for most of that time. Good way to build up the muscles between the ears. Religion, philosophy, history and various sciences were/are among my preferred reading materials. I had/have a limited social life. In addition to the difficulties with my lower extremities, there is that less than flattering reminder on my face of unhappy circumstances in the service of Uncle Samuel in foreign lands. All of that plus being a lifelong bachelor and retired for a good number of years now adds up to – to put it in positive terms – a golden opportunity for a rich mental life. Not complaining, mind you. My life could have been much worse. In fact, I came very close to not having any birthdays after number 25.

I shut up now. Big Grin

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)