Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
An All-Evil God is Just as Reasonable as an All-Good God
07-02-2010, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 01:03 AM by lostsurf9111.)
An All-Evil God is Just as Reasonable as an All-Good God
Assuming that there is a god, an all-evil god is just as reasonable as an all-good god(Bible God).

Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2010, 08:44 AM
RE: An All-Evil God is Just as Reasonable as an All-Good God
I am intelligent. The only reason that I could come up with to be EVIL, is to gain something for myself eg power. If I am both intelligent and all powerful why would I decide to be EVIL?

????????????????
07-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Evil is always parasitic on good. There can be good without evil, but the concept of "evil" makes no sense unless there is something else, something better, to compare it against. Therefore, since God cannot be dependent on anything else outside of God, the notion of an all-evil "supreme god" is incoherent.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
07-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Stereo if evil requires something to be compared against, then so does good, it's opposite.

????????????????
07-02-2010, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 09:11 AM by Stereophonic.)
Nope. Good can be taken for granted. We can be in a good situation and never even think about it.

But in order for us to view something as "evil," we have to have at least some vague notion that things ought to be better.

07-02-2010, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 09:20 AM by kevlar.)
That can only be consistent if good is a constant. If Noah's situation was considered by Noah to be good, it most certainly was not the same for the slaughtered. Good and evil are subjective. In this situation.

????????????????
07-02-2010, 10:58 AM
(07-02-2010 01:02 AM)lostsurf9111 Wrote:  Assuming that there is a god, an all-evil god is just as reasonable as an all-good god(Bible God).

Good and Evil are subjective and dualistic labels used by man to describe how something is perceived.

To attempt to describe God as either good or evil is based on the perception of the person who is doing the perceiving.

Objectively, God is simply God.
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
(07-02-2010 09:19 AM)kevlar Wrote:  That can only be consistent if good is a constant. If Noah's situation was considered by Noah to be good, it most certainly was not the same for the slaughtered. Good and evil are subjective. In this situation.

I hardly think Noah considered the loss of everyone he knew as "good." Certainly Noah could have imagined a better scenario--i.e., everyone just voluntarily stopping all of the evil things they were doing.

But back to my original point. Could an all-evil, all-lying Supreme Deity every truthfully admit that everything he says is false? No, for to do so would be to finally say something true, which would then become false merely by saying it.

But an all-good, all-honest Supreme Deity can truthfully claim that everything he says is true. There is no logical contradiction here.

Good is original; evil is derivative.

07-02-2010, 01:11 PM
The main problem here is the idea of domination. If there is possibility of an opposite to good being something that is powerful, than its power would need to be defined among the constructs of good, otherwise it would simply be an opposite and the power of good would be in control of itself.

Good is good, its opposite is its opposite, for its opposite to hold anything over it, would it make sense for good to truly be good? Or would good be weak to its opposite, and thus its opposite would be the dominant one.

The problem here is something I like to think of as this. Think of good as cold, forming reality by keeping it solid through cooling it. Think of the opposite of good as being hot, destroying good reality through frying it into evaporation and making everything vanish into emptiness. If God is all Good than He should be able to be cold enough to hold his own, otherwise the Devil is going to win through being too hot. While if the Devil "wins" than what is He going to do, be the only one in existence???
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2010, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 01:23 PM by lostsurf9111.)
(07-02-2010 08:44 AM)kevlar Wrote:  I am intelligent. The only reason that I could come up with to be EVIL, is to gain something for myself eg power. If I am both intelligent and all powerful why would I decide to be EVIL?

Being evil for the sake of being evil. Creating beings that perform evil acts would be highly satisfying to an all evil god. It would also be for pure amusement.
(07-02-2010 09:00 AM)Stereophonic Wrote:  Evil is always parasitic on good. There can be good without evil, but the concept of "evil" makes no sense unless there is something else, something better, to compare it against. Therefore, since God cannot be dependent on anything else outside of God, the notion of an all-evil "supreme god" is incoherent.

We're getting into Taoism here. And I never said there wasn't any good in the universe. I just made the claim that an all-evil god is just as reasonable as an all-good god.
(07-02-2010 10:58 AM)digipixel Wrote:  
(07-02-2010 01:02 AM)lostsurf9111 Wrote:  Assuming that there is a god, an all-evil god is just as reasonable as an all-good god(Bible God).

Good and Evil are subjective and dualistic labels used by man to describe how something is perceived.

To attempt to describe God as either good or evil is based on the perception of the person who is doing the perceiving.

Objectively, God is simply God.

Yes, but this is an argument against the al-good Christian God. I'm not trying to say good and evil are the same for everybody.
(07-02-2010 12:32 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  
(07-02-2010 09:19 AM)kevlar Wrote:  That can only be consistent if good is a constant. If Noah's situation was considered by Noah to be good, it most certainly was not the same for the slaughtered. Good and evil are subjective. In this situation.

I hardly think Noah considered the loss of everyone he knew as "good." Certainly Noah could have imagined a better scenario--i.e., everyone just voluntarily stopping all of the evil things they were doing.

But back to my original point. Could an all-evil, all-lying Supreme Deity every truthfully admit that everything he says is false? No, for to do so would be to finally say something true, which would then become false merely by saying it.

But an all-good, all-honest Supreme Deity can truthfully claim that everything he says is true. There is no logical contradiction here.

Good is original; evil is derivative.

Woah! I never claimed that the all-evil god was also all-lying. He could tell truths as well. Truths don't always equal good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is good about the Biblical god? Goldenrain 3 173 09-14-2017 08:44 AM
Last Post: Alexa
  The Standards of Good (Kind) People and Bad (Evil) People ivysunday 7 267 07-06-2017 02:24 AM
Last Post: ivysunday
  Samael: good or evil? HeathenHero95 15 3,780 06-21-2017 04:37 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Is God an Evil Tyrant? HongXiuquan 52 5,712 07-12-2015 02:20 AM
  Why did God create Evil? thepractice 134 6,242 01-22-2014 01:02 AM
  Is becoming like God good or evil? Greatest I am 44 3,882 01-14-2014 02:36 AM
Last Post: IMtM
  One God, One Message, God's Kingdom is near... Sweetflower87 2 511 12-08-2013 01:24 PM
Last Post: Huitaca
  Partially evil supreme god sarahluvscandy 15 1,554 02-19-2013 08:02 PM
Last Post: Morgenstern
  When you become a God, will you use evil the way God does? Greatest I am 3 870 09-03-2012 09:23 PM
Last Post: damned2hell
  Does the award for the greatest evil go to Satan or God? Greatest I am 16 2,515 08-29-2012 08:23 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)