RE: An Atheist's argument about God
(10-27-2009 12:18 PM)Dmanao Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkq9FYEXO3I

LOLZ

How long did it take you to create that video? Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
I'll say it again. Troll. Threadjacking now.

So, I've been hooked on Stargate Universe lately. And in the latest episode they have the "we're all gonna die" plot, with the ship on a crash course into a star. And they have the obligatory group prayer scene. But that got me thinking.

In the Stargate Universe, they pretty much know that most of the gods of myth were really aliens. And while the show never explicitly stated it, the villains of the last three seasons (Origin) shared a lot of characteristics with Christianity. Given that, what do you think about the fact that apparently there's still a strong Christian community amongst the Stargate people who theoretically know this? Do you think this is a realistic depiction of a Christian religion too mired in their own delusions to see the truth, even when it's blatantly obvious? Or do you think this is unrealistic, and merely put in because it is a TV show in America, and you can't get away with bashing Christianity directly?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2009 08:43 PM by Parousia.)
(10-27-2009 07:07 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  So, I've been hooked on Stargate Universe lately. And in the latest episode they have the "we're all gonna die" plot, with the ship on a crash course into a star. And they have the obligatory group prayer scene. But that got me thinking.

In the Stargate Universe, they pretty much know that most of the gods of myth were really aliens. And while the show never explicitly stated it, the villains of the last three seasons (Origin) shared a lot of characteristics with Christianity. Given that, what do you think about the fact that apparently there's still a strong Christian community amongst the Stargate people who theoretically know this? Do you think this is a realistic depiction of a Christian religion too mired in their own delusions to see the truth, even when it's blatantly obvious? Or do you think this is unrealistic, and merely put in because it is a TV show in America, and you can't get away with bashing Christianity directly?

It was put in because the show is made in America, but that does not mean it is unrealistic. Truth does not have a whole lot to do with religion. That is not as cynical as it sounds. It is what Stephen Jay Gould called a nonoverlapping magisterium, as least to its practitioners. Catholicism has the methodology to remain unaffected by scientific advances and the organization to probably exist forever. The more fundamentalist forms of Protestantism may be in trouble though, since they deny aspects of science, something Catholicism does not do.
10-28-2009, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2009 08:18 AM by Dmanao.)
(10-27-2009 01:46 PM)Parousia Wrote:  
(10-27-2009 12:18 PM)Dmanao Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkq9FYEXO3I

LOLZ

How long did it take you to create that video? Wink

I never made that video, just look at the other guy's videos and his account and you'll see that he is an uneducated atheist.
(10-27-2009 07:07 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  I'll say it again. Troll. Threadjacking now.

So, I've been hooked on Stargate Universe lately. And in the latest episode they have the "we're all gonna die" plot, with the ship on a crash course into a star. And they have the obligatory group prayer scene. But that got me thinking.

At the same time you threadjack this thread!
How pathetic!
Your a hypocrite...and for some reason very angry...is that because I exposed you atheists?
(10-27-2009 01:15 PM)clarence clutterbuck Wrote:  Very poor video with terrible spelling.

Funny thing is, is that some Atheists have given it 5 stars!

I Am The Servent Of God
10-28-2009, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2009 10:03 AM by StarStuff.)
I suspect it's a blend of the two. The majority of Americans are, unfortunately, Christian. As you said, any such situation in any American TV show has to have Christian references (or at least, the producers think so, though this may no longer be true, considering the main character in one of the most popular American TV series -- House -- is an avowed atheist).

It may also ring true. Even a cursory glance at history shows us that people will desperately cling to religion even when their beliefs are demonstrably false. Otherwise, biblical literalism would be extinct.
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2009 12:19 PM by Parousia.)
(10-28-2009 09:46 AM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  I suspect it's a blend of the two. The majority of Americans are, unfortunately, Christian. As you said, any such situation in any American TV show has to have Christian references (or at least, the producers think so, though this may no longer be true, considering the main character in one of the most popular American TV series -- House -- is an avowed atheist).

It may also ring true. Even a cursory glance at history shows us that people will desperately cling to religion even when their beliefs are demonstrably false. Otherwise, biblical literalism would be extinct.

A good example of the Christian orientation of American commercial television is the timing of the showing of "The Ten Commandments".

Easter and Passover generally fall very close together, being lunar/solar calendar oriented. But due to differences in the rules for determining the date, they are sometimes a month apart. This happened in 2008.

The story line of "The Ten Commandments" includes the extensive retelling of the origin of Passover. ABC traditionally showed this movie on Easter weeked, which would also be close to Passover in most years. However in 2008, ABC chose to show the movie at Easter time, a month away from Passover. Although the subject matter is Jewish, the audience of the movie is almost entirely Christian.

When I was a kid in the 1950s, the local New York City TV stations showed openly religious programming around Christmas and Easter. This included full-tilt believer, NT based Nativity and Passion/Resurrection mini-movies. And Bishop Sheen even had a daily program. Christmas Midnight Mass at St. Pat's is still carried live today, but they do put on a good show.

It is all about who wants to watch what, because that is what pays the bills.
10-28-2009, 02:49 PM
You expect that. And frankly I don't have a problem with that. I happened to think "The Passion of the Christ" was a good movie (although that was mostly because I already knew the story. But I got chills when Pilate asked "What is truth?") We live in a Christian culture. Even if the world became enlightened and gave up religion, we would still live in a Christian culture, it's our history, it binds us together. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" will always be a Christmas carol, long after we've consigned Christ himself to the "mythology" bin.

I just would have expected a bit more cynicism from the men and women of the SGC. But Parousia, you do make a good point. If god himself was revealed to be nothing but the Star Trek V alien, there would probably still be a Christian church in some form.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
10-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Issac Newton one of the most intelligent people to have existed. Called atheism pathetic, even the Atheist's God Charles Darwin said he will never be Atheist.

I Am The Servent Of God

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Most Invalid Atheist Argument Holy Babylon 76 9,197 03-20-2011 11:53 AM
Last Post: Painkiller
Wink An Atheist Meets God! PhoenixDawn 15 3,207 11-20-2010 09:35 AM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  Atheism: My Belief and My Argument. BlackWolfLeader 94 12,992 12-03-2008 08:37 AM
Last Post: smellycat

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)