Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An Infinite God ?
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2010 10:18 AM by kevlar.)
An Infinite God ?
If your god is infinite why do your beliefs place limits on his capacities?
Why does your god have very distinctive human foibles?
Why would an infinite god get jealous, angry, vengeful, homicidal or even loving and kind for that matter?
An infinite god contains all of these traits in infinite quantities, but he would also contain forbearance, patience, mercy and understanding in equal amounts and being infinite none of those emotions would be overtaken by another.
Is it at all possible that an infinite god could possibly punish any of his creations, for whatever reason, for eternity.
The concept would seem to me to be inconsistent with a being of infinity. A being with an infinite amount of all of the human emotions and a lot more. It would seem to me that such a being's negative emotions must be predominant. Which is impossible in an infinite god.
And if your god is not infinite..............what makes him a god?.....................

????????????????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2010, 10:34 AM
RE: An Infinite God ?
(05-21-2010 09:45 AM)kevlar Wrote:  If your god is infinite why do your beliefs place limits on his capacities?
Why does your god have very distinctive human foibles?
Why would an infinite god get jealous, angry, vengeful, homicidal or even loving and kind for that matter?
An infinite god contains all of these traits in infinite quantities, but he would also contain forbearance, patience, mercy and understanding in equal amounts and being infinite none of those emotions would be overtaken by another.
Is it at all possible that an infinite god could possibly punish any of his creations, for whatever reason, for eternity.
The concept would seem to me to be inconsistent with a being of infinity. A being with an infinite amount of all of the human emotions and a lot more. It would seem to me that such a being's negative emotions must be predominant. Which is impossible in an infinite god.

Ahh! Now we're getting somewhere!

As I have vascilated back and forth between being an atheist and being an agnostic, I now see myself more close to being (but not quite) a rationalist. This view:

-0- Stresses humanity's potential goodness (we're not there yet).
-0- Believes that God's objective (if he or she has one) is the happiness of his creatures.
-0- The best form of worship is to do good for others.
-0- Believe that God's special gift to humanity was reason, which allows people to discover both scientific and spiritual truth.
-0- Avoids joining or supporting specific religious groups.
-0- Believe that God created the universe but does not interfere in its workings.

Indeed as you mentioned in your opening, it is we humans who place the limits on God, and also imbue him with human characteristics like jealousy, anger, vengence, and other obviously human-type flaws.
05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I've recognized a fellow traveler for a little while now.
The god of the theists (not all) is a man made god with all the deficiencies of man.
An infinite god who could create everything, could not ever have the traits that man's religions bestows upon him (her or whatever).
If Humanity's reason for existence is the propagation and continuance of our genes, then none of us would exist now. Good old caveman would have killed all male challengers and so ensured the destruction of the race. After all they had no idea about survival of the species.

????????????????
05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
(05-21-2010 10:52 AM)kevlar Wrote:  I've recognized a fellow traveler for a little while now.

Angelic

(05-21-2010 10:52 AM)kevlar Wrote:  The god of the theists (not all) is a man made god with all the deficiencies of man.
An infinite god who could create everything, could not ever have the traits that man's religions bestows upon him (her or whatever).
If Humanity's reason for existence is the propagation and continuance of our genes, then none of us would exist now. Good old caveman would have killed all male challengers and so ensured the destruction of the race.

After all they had no idea about survival of the species.

Now you've gone and kicked the hornets' nest of evolution...Smile
05-21-2010, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2010 09:06 PM by TheJackel.)
Me and everyone else here automatically makes your infinite GOD reduced to being finite at best.. Competing minds son collapse your argument.. So his limits is that his consciousness is not that of mine, or 6 billion other people's consciousnesses.. What boundaries separate it from everything else?.. And for all his supposed infinite perfection, his creations are somehow far from perfect, or flawless.. Unless you think murder, genocide, war, hate, anger, fear, suffering, pain, trauma, mental disorders, stupidity, greed, power, brainwashing, death, violence, ectra are all seemingly the creation of an infinitely perfect being lol.. I guess dolphins having gay sex was a perfect way to re-procreate the species lol
05-21-2010, 09:26 PM
You will really have to try to prove again why an infinite god is subject to some rules that you wish to make up at any time, or for that matter any rules that exist currently in the known universe. Why would an infinite god want, or need, to create a perfect universe, these rules you make up in an attempt to deny the existence of an infinite god, are simply mind boggling, if you expect to be taken seriously.

????????????????
05-21-2010, 10:12 PM
(05-21-2010 09:26 PM)kevlar Wrote:  You will really have to try to prove again why an infinite god is subject to some rules that you wish to make up at any time, or for that matter any rules that exist currently in the known universe. Why would an infinite god want, or need, to create a perfect universe, these rules you make up in an attempt to deny the existence of an infinite god, are simply mind boggling, if you expect to be taken seriously.

In order for your rules to be relevant or even existence Kevlar is for you to prove that I myself doesn't exist to even Myself.. Have fun with that.
05-21-2010, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2010 10:15 PM by kevlar.)
jack they're your rules, I have no idea what they are, but I do know that they would not apply to an infinite god.

????????????????
05-21-2010, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2010 10:35 PM by TheJackel.)
(05-21-2010 10:15 PM)kevlar Wrote:  jack they're your rules, I have no idea what they are, but I do know that they would not apply to an infinite god.

Your the one trying to claim and infinite GOD concept Kelvar.. These aren't my rules, I am merely demanding you prove your concept.. Your only argument is that "I" <--key word here, "would know that they would not apply to an infinite GOD... Then we have "I" myself Knowing you are not comprehending your own self-contradiction.. So what exactly is infinite about your Infinite GOD of "I" am not, or 6 billion other people are individuals to which are not this infinite GOD?... Hell, I may not be omniscient, but I do know that I myself exists as an individual. Maybe you can convince the 6 billion other people on this planet or the billions of other living organisms that have brains too..

And how would you know an infinite GOD would exist over an infinite number of GOD's with all those supposed OMNi's ??

Philosophically your argument is interesting, but in reality it's shown to be self-contradicting and false..
05-21-2010, 10:37 PM
which part of an infinite god is self contradictory?

????????????????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is God Infinite? kevlar 49 3,793 02-14-2012 11:00 PM
Last Post: chucknance
  Is your God infinite? Galaxxy_Warrior_V 27 3,848 05-12-2011 08:05 PM
Last Post: Pacioli
  An Infinite God flicktheswitch 172 27,657 07-31-2009 10:01 AM
Last Post: Parousia

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)