Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An Observation and Question......
12-14-2007, 10:44 AM
An Observation and Question......
Hello...
I'm new to the forum and had a comment and then a question for you guys.....
For many years now I've been very interested and involved with eastern religions, primarily the ones that are all inclusive in terms of the validity of other religions and religious followers.........viewing them as differing paths to the same goal.
I was raised as a southernBaptist Christian, who's basic philosophy is if you're not a Christian you're going to hell........period. This view has always seemed wrong to me. So, it was a revelation when I came across a comment one day having to do with this subject, which basically stated that any religion that says it's the one and only path to salvation, enlightenment or whatever is simply wrong...............not only is this approach wrong, but it is this aspect of their belief that has been the cause of death and wars the world over for countless generations. How is it that religion has allowed itself to come to this? I'm clear on the fact that religion and spirituality are not the same thing, the former being the creation of man. I think I just answered my question...
The comment referred to above went on to say that it was primarily the Abrahamic religions that hold this view of an exclusive right to heaven. When two religions come into contact that considers themselves the only way to God, there will be conflict. Everyone knows of the violence throughout history between Christians and Muslims, and of the countless deaths as a result.
I would like for someone to explain to me why I should follow (or why they follow..) an Abrahamic religion, given the above being true. Please try to avoid using absolutes like........"Well, that is just the way it is" or "That's what Jesus said, I believe it and that settles it." (Told you I was brought up SoBaptist!.........I've heard all that before....)
Thanks in advance for all comments.......
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
RE: An Observation and Question......
Is this a live forum? Just wondering...........haven't gotten any responses.....
12-27-2007, 05:48 PM
skyclad Wrote:Is this a live forum? Just wondering...........haven't gotten any responses.....

i joined about a week ago and havn't gotten a comment either. i've been checking evreyday. nice to have someone who seems like they'll try to be on. I don't have an answer to your question that isn't an absolute answer. i don't think their can be one that is right by all religious standards. I concider myself an Aithiest, but i'm swaying to more of a group that beleives any religion should go to a "heaven" as long as they follow their religion. I'm not sure what's that called, or if a group even exist like that, but i'm sure there is one.

~~~The 14 year old Aithiest~~~
01-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Sorry the forum is slow. It's new and we need to get some more members. Then we can get some real conversations going!

I'm not sure what that group would be called but I'm Catholic but somewhat believe that myself. I can't imagine God would exclude a good person from heaven just because they followed the wrong religion which they truely believed was the correct one.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2008, 08:57 PM
God Rocks Wrote:Sorry the forum is slow. It's new and we need to get some more members. Then we can get some real conversations going!

I'm not sure what that group would be called but I'm Catholic but somewhat believe that myself. I can't imagine God would exclude a good person from heaven just because they followed the wrong religion which they truely believed was the correct one.

my paticular observation exactly. i don't see why he'd want to play a "hide and seek game" of find the real religion. i think as long as you follow your religion by the standards it follows, you should get into a "heavaen" type place.

~~~The 14 year old Aithiest~~~
01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
I agree, as long as the religion you choose is what you truely believe and not just chosen for convience.

RF's Sponsors
03-21-2008, 05:53 PM
skyclad Wrote:Hello...
I'm new to the forum and had a comment and then a question for you guys.....
For many years now I've been very interested and involved with eastern religions, primarily the ones that are all inclusive in terms of the validity of other religions and religious followers.........viewing them as differing paths to the same goal.
I was raised as a southernBaptist Christian, who's basic philosophy is if you're not a Christian you're going to hell........period. This view has always seemed wrong to me. So, it was a revelation when I came across a comment one day having to do with this subject, which basically stated that any religion that says it's the one and only path to salvation, enlightenment or whatever is simply wrong...............not only is this approach wrong, but it is this aspect of their belief that has been the cause of death and wars the world over for countless generations. How is it that religion has allowed itself to come to this? I'm clear on the fact that religion and spirituality are not the same thing, the former being the creation of man. I think I just answered my question...
The comment referred to above went on to say that it was primarily the Abrahamic religions that hold this view of an exclusive right to heaven. When two religions come into contact that considers themselves the only way to God, there will be conflict. Everyone knows of the violence throughout history between Christians and Muslims, and of the countless deaths as a result.
I would like for someone to explain to me why I should follow (or why they follow..) an Abrahamic religion, given the above being true. Please try to avoid using absolutes like........"Well, that is just the way it is" or "That's what Jesus said, I believe it and that settles it." (Told you I was brought up SoBaptist!.........I've heard all that before....)
Thanks in advance for all comments.......

Peace be upon u
hello there
well . i would like to answer your question from islamic point of view .
"The answer is that Allaah has clearly created everything, sent His blessings on His creation, and sent Messengers and Revealed Books to tell them that whoever believes in and worships Him alone, not associating any partner with Him, will enter Paradise, and whoever denies Him, or worships something else besides Him, or takes other gods instead of Him, or says that He has a wife or son, or that the angels are His daughters, or follows a law other than that which He revealed to judge between people in truth, or turns away from His religion, will be doomed in the Hereafter to the eternal punishment of Hell. This is exact justice, and this will be the fate deserved by the one who did not give his Creator His due.

Worshipping Allaah, obeying His commands and adhering to His prohibitions are basic matters, but they form the essence of the relationship between the Creator and His creation. Allah says:
"And I (Allaah) created not the jinns and men except they should worship Me (alone)." [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]

Messengers were sent with one message: to tell their people "Worship Allaah, for you have no god besides Him."

Hence we may understand just how far short the person falls who believes that Allaah is one and does not associate anything with Him, but does not worship or obey Him, but rebels against Him and fails to follow His religion or Law, or the Revelation and Messengers which He sent for him and people like him. Does such a person deserve to enter Paradise or Hell?

This is the person who says: "I believe that there is One God Who created the universe, but I am going to stop there; I will not pray to Him or fast or perform Hajj or pay zakaat as He commanded. I am not going to carry out any duties towards Him; I will follow my own desires and do whatever I want, whether He permitted it or forbade it." Can such a person attain salvation on the Day of Judgement?

Allaah sent Messengers to every nation, that they might worship Him and shun false deities. The last nation is this ummah, and the last Messenger is Muhammad (peace be upon him). Allaah sent him for the whole of mankind, the entire world, and thus abrogated the previous laws and made this religion the best and most perfect and complete. Hence it is obligatory for everyone to enter this religion, for Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"And whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

On this basis, the fate of one who says "I believe in the idea of One God, but I do not want to be a Muslim, or I do not want to follow the last Revelation or the last Prophet," is clear.

Furthermore, the fate of an atheist, who rejects even the belief in God, is even clearer and more evident.

Finally, I hope that the matter is now clearer to you. I ask Allaah to guide us all to the truth and help us to follow it, for He is the best Supporter and Helper."

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
03-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for adding your point of view just_Read

RF's Sponsors
05-12-2008, 02:00 AM
I know it sounds cheesy but, Follow your heart

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
05-19-2008, 02:34 AM
I don't believe in heaven, hell or the soul, so I don't have much to contribute in that regard, but the discussion here has raised something of a question on my end;

To those of you who would say they are Catholic or other members of a particularly orthodox faith, the bible clearly states that those amongst you who are not Catholic (or those amongst the Catholic who do not confess their sins before they die) go to hell; how do you reason that this is not the case when it is very clearly laid out in the bible to be true multiple times? How do you go about identifying which parts of the bible are, pardon the pun, gospel, and which can be safetly disregarded (ie; hell for heathens, the inferiority of women, the stoning of disobidient children, etc etc?)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)