Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
An outside perspective on Jehovah's Witnesses
01-12-2014, 08:08 AM
An outside perspective on Jehovah's Witnesses
I'd like to say that my impression of Jehovah's Witnesses is somewhat more positive than of any other form of Christianity. I lived in Germany for 4 years, and enjoyed the occasional company of the local JWs, and have fond memories of spending many hours sat in my library with them, sometimes getting jiggy verse-by-verse, sometimes discussion theology, comparative religion, human psychology, the sciences...

And again, now I'm back in the UK, my JW visitors have again proven themselves to be intelligent, quick-thinking, and always, always, perfectly polite and reasonable in their approach and responses and arguementation.

Aside from these personal experiences, I find that JW argumentation (in books, on the website) regarding Biblical questions is always top-notch, with good research and thorough arguments being what I have come to expect.

So... I'm an athest, and even an anti-theist, of the "completely sure" kind, but, I'd just like to point out that even from my point of view, the JWs are clearly somehwat committed to analysis and truth in the way that I wish all people were.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2014, 11:03 AM
RE: An outside perspective on Jehovah's Witnesses
I meant to give 5 stars to your post but fat fingered just one. Thank you for your kind remarks about Jws.
Find all posts by this user
09-30-2016, 08:53 AM
(01-12-2014 08:08 AM)Vexen Crabtree Wrote:  I'd like to say that my impression of Jehovah's Witnesses is somewhat more positive than of any other form of Christianity. I lived in Germany for 4 years, and enjoyed the occasional company of the local JWs, and have fond memories of spending many hours sat in my library with them, sometimes getting jiggy verse-by-verse, sometimes discussion theology, comparative religion, human psychology, the sciences...

And again, now I'm back in the UK, my JW visitors have again proven themselves to be intelligent, quick-thinking, and always, always, perfectly polite and reasonable in their approach and responses and arguementation.

Aside from these personal experiences, I find that JW argumentation (in books, on the website) regarding Biblical questions is always top-notch, with good research and thorough arguments being what I have come to expect.

So... I'm an athest, and even an anti-theist, of the "completely sure" kind, but, I'd just like to point out that even from my point of view, the JWs are clearly somehwat committed to analysis and truth in the way that I wish all people were.

I have two good friends, one a Mormon and one a Jehovah's Witness. Good people who love to serve others, although they rarely read outside their religion, but then each one thinks that their respective church is God's one true church, so why read anything else? Had I been raised in one or the other, I may have the same opinion.
03-18-2017, 11:28 AM
J.W.'s believe preaching door to door is necessary and a commandment.
I was raised in the Kingdom Hall and exposed to a LOT of novice preaching.
ALL baptized J.W.s consider themselves qualified to preach though they have ZERO
formal Biblical education or degree in religious studies..
Fact is J.W.s OBJECTED to young members attending ANY education beyond what
was legal by societies standards. High school.
Trade school was o.k.
J.W.s are taught that they and they alone, among ALL religions, know the
truth about the Bible to the point that J.W.s say they are "in the Truth" when
speaking of religious affiliation.
I recall when receiving a blood transfusion or organ transplant was a SIN
according to J.W. doctrine and subject to being booted out of the organization and
quickly!
A J.W. member booted out is shunned, even by family members.
A J.W. elder molested my sister when she was 12.
When I was a police officer I ARRESTED a J.W. for incest.
Sex with his 14 year old grand daughter.
I arrested one J.W. for public intoxication.
In fairness even J.W.'s are mere humans subject to temptation as we all are.
I wasn't allowed to be baptized as a J.W. because I became a police officer.
Would it have been better had I become a drug dealer? A rapist?
A burglar?
My MOTHER, a baptized J.W. was "counseled" because she "allowed" my dad
(not a J.W.) to put up a Christmas tree.!!!!
I grew up in the country and I hunt and fish.
It was suggested I throw my firearms in the nearest river.
Fishing was o.k. as long as I took an Awake or Watchtower to read.
Really?????
A J.W. can be disfellowshiped for owning a firearm, hunting, fishing, allowing
a Christmas tree in the home, celebrating a b-day, Thanksgiving, drinking alcohol,
(more than one or two) Christmas, VOTING, (yes I said voting), REGISTERING
to vote, having sex prior to marriage, and any number of "sins" the elders
feel is an offense against dogma.
This dogma varies from congregation to congregation.
J.W.'s are, after all, just as human as anyone else.
There are at LEAST 33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the
SAME book!
Go figger.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jehovah's Witness Shuffle brycematheson 16 3,084 02-22-2017 12:58 AM
Last Post: tigger2
  Open Questions To Jehovah Witnesses MaryCantHearYou 4 731 10-15-2013 05:14 PM
Last Post: kjw47
  Jehovah is Jesus Christ himself, the Son of God... Seve 25 4,206 06-07-2013 11:31 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)