Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anorexia Mirabilis and the Catholic Church
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Anorexia Mirabilis and the Catholic Church
Coming at this from personal experience, and therefore biased, I don't want this to come across as nasty. However, I want to see the opinions of others on this.

Anorexia Mirabilis is an eating disorder that is slowly regaining more footing in the ED community. It is basically, a religious version of Anorexia Nervosa, induced by a desire for a closer relationship with God, or emulation of certain saints, most notably St. Margaret of Cortona, St. Angela of Foligno, Marie of Oignies, and St. Catherine of Siena.

In fact, one of the most "inspiring" quotes you can find on an ED site, or in the Anorectic's Favourite trigger, Wasted, by Marya Hornbacher, is this:

I have no intention of making a peace pact between my body and my soul, and neither do I intend to hold back. Therefore, allow me to tame my body by not altering my diet; I will not stop for the rest of my life, until there is no more life left.You should not think my body is so mortified and weak as it seems; it acts this way so that I should not demand the debt it contracted in the world, when it liked pleasure...Oh my body, why do you not help me serve my creator and redeemer? Why are you not as quick to obey as to disobey His commands? Do not lament, do not cry, do not pretend to be half-dead. You will bear the weight that I place on your shoulders, all of it...I not only wish to abstain from bodily food but I wish to die a thousand times a day, if it were possible in this mortal life of mine.
--Letter from St. Margaret of Cortona to her confessor later used as evidence of her sainthood by the Vatican.

Do you think the Catholic church should actively condemn cases of Anorexia Mirabilis or religiously induced Anorexia Nervosa, and discourage the veneration of saints that could cause harm through emulation?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2009, 12:11 AM
RE: Anorexia Mirabilis and the Catholic Church
These are not the reasons that anorexia is so widespread. The people who go through anorexia are most likely to be influenced by the media into believing that being twig-like is good. If you hear about a nun dying from it, then maybe, but a normal person is not influenced by anorexia because of this.
12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
not to say that this is or is not the cause for anorexia mirabilis but dont you think this leans less on fasting and more on si?

i understand and believe in fasting... people from all walks of faith have done it since forever. but i read this quote and i think this poor woman wanted something to feed her soul and couldnt do it unless she was starving herself.
12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
(12-18-2009 12:11 AM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  These are not the reasons that anorexia is so widespread. The people who go through anorexia are most likely to be influenced by the media into believing that being twig-like is good. If you hear about a nun dying from it, then maybe, but a normal person is not influenced by anorexia because of this.

I didn't say it was the reason anorexia is so widespread, there are many causes, I said Anorexia Mirabilis is a growing problem within the eating disorder community. More and more people, especially from Catholic backgrounds, are turning to extreme fasting and starvation diets with the blessings of their priests because they cite emulation and veneration of saints.

In my particular eating disorder recovery group, of eighteen there are three people who suffer/suffered from Anorexia Mirabilis, five from Anorexia Athletica, four bulimics, three suffering from Anorexia Nervosa, and myself and those who are labeled ED-NOS.

On sites like livejournal and insanejournal there are communities like "mirabilis_ones" and "catholic_eds" and like all "Pro-Ana" movements, these are treacherous, but it's worse when you can point at someone like St Veronica and go "but I'm starving for God!" Groups on Facebook like "Starving 4 Christ".

It is a real issue, and I think it's one that most people dismiss to easily.
10-29-2010, 12:25 PM
So, putting this up for discussion again, since the Satanism discussion made me think of it.
10-29-2010, 12:27 PM
The Satanism discussion? You mean the two posts of Satanism discussion followed by myself, Ant and Vis arguing about whether Metal corrupts children or not?
10-29-2010, 12:31 PM
(10-29-2010 12:27 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  The Satanism discussion? You mean the two posts of Satanism discussion followed by myself, Ant and Vis arguing about whether Metal corrupts children or not?

Yes. That. Speaking of, does anyone know why it's in Off Topic and not somewhere else?
10-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Metal corrupts children? No more sillverware for my children only chopsticks.
Why not caloric restrict with optimal nutrition(cron) or intermittent fast instead of being anorexic? Christians should treat their body like a temple. If you use cron or intermittent fasting you will be potentially prolonging your life and lowering your chances of getting various diseases etc and you could still fast etc. if that is bringing you closer to the creator. Check out the thread "caloric restriction and the bible". If you want more info on the subject let me know.
10-30-2010, 05:20 AM
(10-29-2010 10:34 PM)iholdit Wrote:  Metal corrupts children? No more sillverware for my children only chopsticks.

[Image: 600107-oh_you_super.jpg]
10-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Pain, im actually serious about using chopsticks not because i think metal corrupts but there is evidence that some of the metal in silverware leaches into certain food. Im really bad with chopsticks or i probably would have done it along time ago. I was also thinking about making my own chopsticks. The only thing is if i used say rods from almond trees and peeled the bark off to make the chopsticks some people in this forum might accuse me of practicing "white magic" instead of the more practical purpose i was intending them forWink.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Catholic Church exalts women PopeADope 4 690 03-26-2016 11:30 PM
Last Post: PopeADope
  Should the Catholic Church be dismantled? biomystic 42 8,860 08-08-2013 11:46 PM
Last Post: Visqueen
  You are always welcome back within the Catholic Church peacethroughunity 17 2,413 09-12-2012 12:27 PM
Last Post: damned2hell
  Basics of Catholic Church TruthSearcher 45 11,082 02-08-2011 09:20 AM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  A Modern Catholic Church Harlequenne 2 2,076 07-10-2010 09:12 PM
Last Post: Harlequenne
  The Catholic Church - The Truth TheCatholic 34 6,856 05-15-2010 09:52 PM
Last Post: prdamico
  I would Respect the Catholic Church more if it made a Woman the Next Pope! Azrael17 35 5,475 12-01-2009 06:16 AM
Last Post: Clementine

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)