Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anti-Catholic Laws
10-25-2009, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2009 06:09 AM by catholicstation.)
Anti-Catholic Laws
1700 a.d. - In June, Massachusetts passes a law ordering all Roman Catholic priests to leave the colony within three months, upon penalty of life imprisonment or execution. New York then passes a similar law.

Penal Laws(Puritans)
* A Catholic was forbidden to receive an education.
* A Catholic was forbidden to vote.
* A Catholic was forbidden to keep arms.
* A Catholic could not attend Catholic worship.
* A Catholic could not educate his child.
* A Catholic was forbidden to own a horse
* A Catholic was forbidden to enter a profession.
* A Catholic was forbidden to hold public office.
* A Catholic was forbidden to engage in trade or commerce.
* A Catholic was forbidden to lease land.
* A Catholic was forbidden to buy land.
* A Catholic was forbidden to hold a life annuity.
* A Catholic could not be guardian to a child.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2009, 07:16 AM
RE: Anti-Catholic Laws
Yup. The Puritans were not good people. I'm very grateful that the Anglicans, Methodists, Catholics, Quakers, and good old fashioned Atheists and Deists mellowed out the melting pot before they got around to writing the constitution.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
10-25-2009, 11:22 AM
... and 300 years later Catholics are in Massachusetts – Big time.

---------------
Not selling anything.
11-09-2009, 10:24 AM
anti-Catholic laws were now enforced rigorously, and thus during the last thirty years or so of the sixteenth century English Catholics. we just respect our religion..

11-10-2009, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2009 02:41 AM by catholicstation.)
(11-09-2009 10:24 AM)seannjay Wrote:  anti-Catholic laws were now enforced rigorously, and thus during the last thirty years or so of the sixteenth century English Catholics. we just respect our religion..

in 1692 Maryland's famous Religious Toleration Act officially ended, and the Maryland Assembly established the so-called Church of England as the official State religion supported by tax levies. Restrictions were imposed on Catholics for public worship, and priests could be prosecuted for saying Mass. Although Catholics generally maintained their social status, they were denied the right to vote or otherwise participate in the government
-------------------------------------------------------
George Calvert, First Lord Baltimore
George Calvert was the first person to dream of a colony in America where Catholics and Protestants could prosper together. He was born in Yorkshire, England and studied at Trinity College at Oxford.

In 1625, George announced to James I that he had become a Catholic, and so had to resign his job. But King James I liked George so much that he decided to give him another title. Sir George Calvert then became the First Baron of Baltimore, a town on the southern coast of Ireland.
12-01-2009, 06:23 AM
(11-09-2009 10:24 AM)seannjay Wrote:  anti-Catholic laws were now enforced rigorously, and thus during the last thirty years or so of the sixteenth century English Catholics. we just respect our religion..

Hi,

This is no doubt a truth behind everything and due to all this only we respect our religion and thus serves it properly by all the traditional values that are important.

Thanks!

Christian Counseling Dallas
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Catholic Penal Laws catholicstation 8 5,381 10-31-2009 05:52 AM
Last Post: catholicstation

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)