Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ask A Hindu: Part The Second
02-19-2017, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 09:55 AM by IMtM.)
RE: Ask A Hindu: Part The Second
(02-19-2017 09:12 AM)Senthil Wrote:  
(02-18-2017 07:47 PM)IMtM Wrote:  Do one's action in dreams affect one's karma?

I'm sure the answer to this depends somewhat from person to person. For me personally, no, because it isn't a real action.
Fair enough. Smile

Quote:In Hinduism, dreams aren't that important for most people, although some look for 'signs' in them.
Yeah, that opens up a whole mess of cans of worms... In fact, many rishis declare that our supposed "everyday life" is naught but the dream of the jiva being experienced through the sense-fed thoughts.

Quote:I can't speak for other Hindus, but in my sampradaya, dreams are considered subconscious clearing, like straightening out the stuff in your basement. So best not to even try to remember them. Just trust the process. What happens in them is an indicator of where you're at, subconsciously. For example, if you no longer have violence, or can't commit adultery in your dreams, it indicates you've come a long way as to programming the mind about ethics.
Again, many of the seers of India say that there is very limited free will. That the body and the mind are merely following their prarabdha karma assigned to them. The only free will afforded is our capability to ignore the samsara of the Ego and to turn our every ounce of effort towards God. I know, I know, such is not inclusive of every Hindu! Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2017, 10:15 AM
This question is primarily for Senthil, though anyone can chime in.

A Shaivite considers Shiva as Para-Brahman. Now, is Shaivism thus cognate to Advaitism, or are they considered separate schools of thought?

08-03-2017, 05:34 PM
I'm no scholar, but can give it a shot. As you already know, Hindusm is complex. There are six separate philosophical schools within Saivism, besides the everyman Puranic Saivism. Google 'six schools of Saivism' for more info. You'll get enough reading for a week or more. The one called Siva Advaita is the one that most likely incorporates advaita the best. Saiva Siddhanta, my school, has a monistic division, that isn't philosophically opposed to advaita, but in practice sees it somewhat differently. We see life in Hinduism in progressive stages, whereas advaitins tend to jump to the top rung. So from my POV, that distorts the wisdom of advaita into an intellectual realm, where it doesn't work so well. 'Thou art that' and all the other simplistic advaitic sayings work best at a purely mystic level.

So in short it depends on the school. Some would be almost diametrically opposed, very dualistic or pluralistic in nature, whereas others would be practically in 100% agreement.
08-04-2017, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 09:27 AM by IMtM.)
(08-03-2017 05:34 PM)Senthil Wrote:  I'm no scholar, but can give it a shot. As you already know, Hindusm is complex. There are six separate philosophical schools within Saivism, besides the everyman Puranic Saivism. Google 'six schools of Saivism' for more info. You'll get enough reading for a week or more. The one called Siva Advaita is the one that most likely incorporates advaita the best. Saiva Siddhanta, my school, has a monistic division, that isn't philosophically opposed to advaita, but in practice sees it somewhat differently. We see life in Hinduism in progressive stages, whereas advaitins tend to jump to the top rung. So from my POV, that distorts the wisdom of advaita into an intellectual realm, where it doesn't work so well. 'Thou art that' and all the other simplistic advaitic sayings work best at a purely mystic level.

So in short it depends on the school. Some would be almost diametrically opposed, very dualistic or pluralistic in nature, whereas others would be practically in 100% agreement.
Spoken in the words of a true Man of God. Thank you for them. Very edifying. Smile

It's funny you mention "Thou art that" because I just mentioned it in my blog thread before I had even read this.
http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-IMt...#pid293530

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)