Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ask A Hindu: Part The Second
08-27-2017, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 05:31 PM by IMtM.)
RE: Ask A Hindu: Part The Second
(08-27-2017 07:28 AM)Senthil Wrote:  I believe these things are always far more complicated than what we get from a single news story. There are so many factors. Poverty, peer pressure, egos, generations of antagonism, personal things like hatred between two families, miscommunications ... unless we're closer to it, it's just so hard to know all the factors involved.
Very true, Senthil. Once again your bright wisdom has shone through the fog of my brashness. And please know that I'm sincere when I say that. I know, I know, you don't know me and I'm just some person on the internet. Tongue But still I mean what I say.

"Talking about not talking is still talking." I will never ever forget those words of yours!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2017, 04:11 PM
New question: What is the relationship between Hindus and Sikhs, from a practical standpoint? Do they get along, is there animosity, do they 'play well together'? I understand that the Sikh way is a combination of parts of Hinduism and Islam; how does that work out in practice?

I ask here because there's no Sikh-specific section, and my 'Belief-o-matic' scores are increasingly showing me as having beliefs in line with the Sikhs, and I thought it might be interesting to explore.

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
08-28-2017, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2017 04:22 PM by Imprecise Interrupt.)
(08-28-2017 04:11 PM)Caesar Saladin Wrote:  New question: What is the relationship between Hindus and Sikhs, from a practical standpoint? Do they get along, is there animosity, do they 'play well together'? I understand that the Sikh way is a combination of parts of Hinduism and Islam; how does that work out in practice?

I ask here because there's no Sikh-specific section, and my 'Belief-o-matic' scores are increasingly showing me as having beliefs in line with the Sikhs, and I thought it might be interesting to explore.

The only parts of Sikhism that also appear in Islam that I am aware of are monotheism and the forbidding of idol worship. Otherwise Sikhism is very much like Hinduism but with its own unique flavor.

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
08-28-2017, 05:05 PM
(08-28-2017 04:11 PM)Caesar Saladin Wrote:  New question: What is the relationship between Hindus and Sikhs, from a practical standpoint? Do they get along, is there animosity, do they 'play well together'? I understand that the Sikh way is a combination of parts of Hinduism and Islam; how does that work out in practice?

There is some political animosity, but that's a minority. Generally Sikhs and Hindus get along remarkably well. We have some Sikhs come to the temple I attend, and I can find peace at a Gurdwara.

As for specifics about practice, I'm not that familiar. I know the Sikhs do a lot of social work, like feeding people. I can go get a free meal at the gurdwara 12 hours a day or more 7 days a week.

As with any faith, though, it depends a ton on the individual.
08-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Wearing a beard would absolutely ruin my face (irritation is awful) and sporting a turban would give my wife a stroke- she had a rough time of it when I was a low-key Muslim! In the interest of gaining knowledge, though, I like to poke and prod at different religions to see what's what even if I don't join any particular faith.

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
08-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Just for information, lots of moderate Sikhs are clean shaven, and don't wear turban. Also, especially in India, lots of Punjabi and other Hindus do wear turban, and sport beards.
09-28-2017, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2017 10:45 AM by ajay0.)
(08-28-2017 04:21 PM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  

The only parts of Sikhism that also appear in Islam that I am aware of are monotheism and the forbidding of idol worship. Otherwise Sikhism is very much like Hinduism but with its own unique flavor.

The Brahmo Samaj, Arya Samaj, Prajapita Brahmakumaris are also Hindu sects that are monotheistic and have no place for idol worship
in their systems.

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole
09-28-2017, 02:19 PM
(09-28-2017 10:45 AM)ajay0 Wrote:  The Brahmo Samaj, Arya Samaj, Prajapita Brahmakumaris are also Hindu sects that are monotheistic and have no place for idol worship
in their systems.

I could be wrong, as my knowledge about these groups is minimal, but don't all of these groups have much greater tolerance for their Hindu brothers use of statues in worship, than, say, Muslims?

I only say this because Arya Samaj monks have been guests at the monastery I'm associated with, as brother monks, and there was certainly no animosity.
09-28-2017, 07:13 PM
(09-28-2017 02:19 PM)Senthil Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 10:45 AM)ajay0 Wrote:  The Brahmo Samaj, Arya Samaj, Prajapita Brahmakumaris are also Hindu sects that are monotheistic and have no place for idol worship in their systems.

I could be wrong, as my knowledge about these groups is minimal, but don't all of these groups have much greater tolerance for their Hindu brothers use of statues in worship, than, say, Muslims?

I only say this because Arya Samaj monks have been guests at the monastery I'm associated with, as brother monks, and there was certainly no animosity.

I am not a Hindu (or anything else with a label) but this is a topic of interest to me. As I understand it, the murti is not in any way itself God or a god or a means of directly communicating with the represented entity but simply a means of focusing outside one’s self.

In the Bhagavad Gita (12:5) it says:

“Those whose minds are attached to the unmanifest aspect have much greater tribulations because devoid of any perceptible form and attributes success is achieved with great difficulty due to the beings identifying with the body.”

Is my understanding too far from being correct?

PS My experience with meditation is of the Zazen type, which is about not focusing on anything.

PPS As a long time computer professional in New York City, I knew a number of Hindus. I cannot imagine any of them being guilty of animosity. Smile

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
09-28-2017, 08:08 PM
(09-28-2017 07:13 PM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  I am not a Hindu (or anything else with a label) but this is a topic of interest to me. As I understand it, the murti is not in any way itself God or a god or a means of directly communicating with the represented entity but simply a means of focusing outside one’s self.

In the Bhagavad Gita (12:5) it says:

“Those whose minds are attached to the unmanifest aspect have much greater tribulations because devoid of any perceptible form and attributes success is achieved with great difficulty due to the beings identifying with the body.”

Is my understanding too far from being correct?

PS My experience with meditation is of the Zazen type, which is about not focusing on anything.

PPS As a long time computer professional in New York City, I knew a number of Hindus. I cannot imagine any of them being guilty of animosity. Smile

The understanding of the use of murties varies by sect. Some people see it as symbolic, representative of something else. Others, like me, see the murthy as a conduit for divine energy, much like copper conducts electricity. But yes, in many cases it is uses as focus too. Perhaps not the general case, but an exercise I have been taught is to stare at Nataraja, using the sacred mantra of Saivites (Na Ma Si Va Ya) and looking at the representation of Hid five powers as you chant/meditate. So there can be a lot going on simultaneously as well.

In no case is it ever worship of a stone, as we get accused of, due to lack of actual understanding, or ability to think outside of a certain box.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)