Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Atheist
04-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Sad Atheist
Atheism: lack of belief in God or active disbelief in God.

Why don't Atheist Believe in God? What are their reasons?

*Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.
*Be not wise in thine own eyes, Fear the Lord and Depart from evil.
*In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2008, 02:39 AM
RE: Atheist
Ephratah7 Wrote:Atheism: lack of belief in God or active disbelief in God.

If I were an Atheist I Guess I would say GOD doesn't exist because of all the Evil in the world or because they haven't had a Unexplainable Miracle in their life

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey perhaps I can help, broadly I am an Atheist. Maybe one must hold a non bias position, a centre point of thought.

It seems history has proven that holding many different concepts, when there can be only one real truth, has failed us as species. We have used a system of beliefs that has brought us to our present point in history. It had been bloody and short. The reasons why we have become fragremented as a species is clear. If there is only one real truth, and we all beleive in different things, the system must fail at some point in history.

All people beleive in different things, with all beliefs equalling the same solution.

But for me as an Atheist to say that that thing is God, even if I know it is true, is unjust, for it is bias. All beliefs seem to have bias towards their own point of view. Would a being with the knowledge of the universe, taking for granted that that being exists, want to be called a god? Would it have a word fot itself?

Even though the defintion of Atheism may say that I don't beleive in god, that is not to say I can't beleive in something much greater.

Other places where things are good, even, a place with no faces. I think this forum maybe a good place!

For myself, I find this word hard to define, how do you write it in words, do words really describe the feeling which is life?
05-19-2008, 02:08 AM
I have a whole lot of reasons for not believing in God, so much so that I think a better question would be "Why would you?"

For starters, there's the sheer number of potential Gods to choose from, many of whom have followers who insist (occasionally with bombs) that their chosen deity's are the only true Gods. The Christians contend that they have the only actual God (and his son,) while the Muslims, the followers of Islam, the Jewish people and yes, sun worshippers would all beg to differ. On top of that, there are the various pagan sects of the world, your Wiccan and Hindi, who believe in whole pantheons of Gods. There's the tree-hugging crowd that worship a sentient "Mother Earth" and dozens upon dozens of mostly-dead Gods, Zeus, Odin, Ra, and the rest of the disfunctional, incestuous pantheons of yore.

Mostly, however, I am a man of science, and science is prone to contradicting the assertions of the various Bible-type books around the world. I believe what you can show me in a laboratory, what you can demonstrate mathmatically. While nothing can ever be completely proven/disproven, science (physics) contains answers and predictions that can be put to the test time and time and time again, where as most religions can only insist things in ever increasing volume in the hope that their zealousness drowns out the rational questions.

There's other things that lead me towards atheism, one of which can be summed up in a very popular atheist question: Why doesn't God heal amputees?
If we're to accept God's presence on earth, if we're to accept the power and effectiveness of prayer, that God cures blindness and cancer and let's say depression to round things out, why does he never replace lost limbs? Surely one rightious and noble Christian (or whatever) has accidentally stepped upon a landmine and meets the miracle criteria?
05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
From my perspective, the word "God" is too poorly defined. I cannot believe in a word that has no clear meaning.
05-19-2008, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2008 10:49 PM by God Rocks.)
C-Nub Wrote:Mostly, however, I am a man of science, and science is prone to contradicting the assertions of the various Bible-type books around the world. I believe what you can show me in a laboratory, what you can demonstrate mathmatically. While nothing can ever be completely proven/disproven, science (physics) contains answers and predictions that can be put to the test time and time and time again, where as most religions can only insist things in ever increasing volume in the hope that their zealousness drowns out the rational questions.

I also believe 100% in science. I actually have a Discover magazine sitting on my desk at this very moment. But there are some things science fails to explain. For example, you can study gravity, you can conclude how it affects things, you can even make scientific theories and laws about it, but science doesn't explain why it works the way it does. It's just the way it is because that's the way it is.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Ephratah7 Wrote:Atheism: lack of belief in God or active disbelief in God.

atheism is the default position for all creatures at birth. religion must be taught, usually to children, in order for the magical stories to take hold and believed as factual.
most atheists use science as their guide for the answers to the world around of us. science might not have all the answers right now but one day...one day.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek
07-16-2008, 05:49 PM
your points are interesting. Today we are in the era of technology advancments and you are actually relying on logic and reason which is fine. I suppose you want a scientific or mathematical miracles for the existence of God. The are many scientific facts mentioned in the Quran 1400 years ago which science has come to discover now. If you could just understand the way our human body is designed, you would be amazed. I got these miracles from Harun Yahya site.

Below is a list of such words and the number of repetitions in the Qur'an. these are few of the miracles of Quran.

1) The statement of "seven heavens" is repeated seven times. "The creation of the heavens (khalq as-samawat)" is also repeated seven times.

Day (yawm)" is repeated 365 times in singular form, while its plural and dual forms "days (ayyam and yawmayn)" together are repeated 30 times. The number of repetitions of the word "month" (shahar) is 12.

The word "land" appears 13 times in the Qur'an and the word "sea" 32 times, giving a total of 45 references. If we divide that number by that of the number of references to the land we arrive at the figure 28.888888888889%. The number of total references to land and sea, 45, divided by the number of references to the sea in the Qur'an, 32, is 71.111111111111%. Extraordinarily, these figures represent the exact proportions of land and sea on the Earth today.238
07-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Shadrach Wrote:most atheists use science as their guide for the answers to the world around of us. science might not have all the answers right now but one day...one day.[/color][/font][/b][/size]

As a Christian ... I believe the same thing ... that one day, ONE DAY I'll be standing before God and He will reveal all the answers ...

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I also beleive that one day i will be standing in front of God and he will reveal all the answers. That day is coming soon. It will be here before we know it. For example when you were born you were a baby and before you know it you are 18 or 19 years old. When you sleep and when you wake up, the time between it just passes by, in the same way when we die, and when God will raise us up, the time will between that will pass by really fast.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)