Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Atheist Fellowship?
06-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Atheist Fellowship?
All right, so the tradition of the church started as fellowship. No elders, no preachers, just a bunch of christians getting together and sharing with each other (men only, of course, but then the church has always been a patriarchal institution, until very lately.)

This has been both good and bad for the christians. It's bad because they get fellows who more or less feed their religion, giving them a group of people who think the same from which they can retreat from the world and rational thought. But on the other hand, its good because the best of those people actually have different perspectives, and can teach.

I'm wondering, among my fellow atheists, if you have anything of that nature? A group of atheists who can give you new ideas, challenge your thoughts, and point out things you have missed? I've been thinking about trying to start something of this nature locally, maybe getting coffee or something and just talking about life, philosophy, the beginning of all things, and such. Has anyone done anything like this?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2009, 06:16 PM
RE: Atheist Fellowship?
A couple years ago, I would have jumped at the chance to meet with other non-believers. But that was soon after I had abandoned faith, Jesus, and god(s); I was fascinated by the new horizons that had suddenly opened up before me and was dying to talk about it with others (frankly, I think my wife would have liked me to find a group as well, because I was constantly boring her with my new discoveries).

These days, atheism per se is not my main interest. I still am fascinated by religion and religious thought (that's why I hang out here), but I'm not all that keen on socializing with that as the basis. I think such groups can too easily construct a confirmation bias in which group-think rules, and backslapping conversations about "how we are so much smarter than those others" can take over.

Not for me.

Generally, I'm not much of a "joiner"; like my father, I'm a strong loner, happy to hang out in the hills with my dogs and the trees. So perhaps I'm not the right "audience" for your question. Then again, I suspect a lot of atheists see themselves in a similar way. It's hard to get independent thinkers to get together - you've got to get them to agree on a time...

"Herding cats" and all that...

---------------
Not selling anything.
06-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I hear you. And certainly if it becomes just backslapping, then it's no more valuable than a religious group. I just know there's more I could learn, and I sort of dislike trusting that aspect of my growth to the internet.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-24-2010, 03:08 AM
There are several of these 'fellowships' around and I encourage you to take part in them. Here are some links:

http://www.atheistnexus.org/

http://www.atheistalliance.org/

http://www.the-brights.net/community/

and many many others Smile

Reason, science, knowledge.
01-24-2010, 11:44 AM
I would definitely be interested in such a fellowship.
01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I think that getting atheists organized is the single largest challenge facing us today. Almost all atheists are individualists, and tend not to want to “belong” to anything. I know that’s the case for me. So, I support anything that moves toward unifying the movement. However, I strongly oppose calling such organizations churches, and the halo used in the graphic on the Church of Reality page causes a visceral negative reaction for me.
01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't want to organize the atheists. Atheists are not a religion, attempting to organize them would only make them so, and inherently corrupt the basic reasoning that led us all to this point. Atheism is simply a rejection of the illogical ideas of theism.

No, rather I want a forum in which atheists can discuss differing ideas of philosophy and scientific inquiry, and by this discussion can improve their own views and opinions. By definition it should not be very organized.

01-28-2010, 12:03 PM
(01-26-2010 02:55 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  I don't want to organize the atheists. Atheists are not a religion, attempting to organize them would only make them so, and inherently corrupt the basic reasoning that led us all to this point. Atheism is simply a rejection of the illogical ideas of theism.

No, rather I want a forum in which atheists can discuss differing ideas of philosophy and scientific inquiry, and by this discussion can improve their own views and opinions. By definition it should not be very organized.

Whatawank. Lets build our own church, so we can worship there
01-31-2010, 02:47 AM
(01-26-2010 02:55 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  I don't want to organize the atheists. Atheists are not a religion, attempting to organize them would only make them so, and inherently corrupt the basic reasoning that led us all to this point. Atheism is simply a rejection of the illogical ideas of theism.

Organization should not be the issue. I believe that we could regularly converge to talk about what is relevant to out beliefs. sort of like a book club, but geared toward how we perceive the hazard that is religion. i do this already, more or less.... with my Girlfriend and my drinking buddies. philosophy of religion gets better when you have a pint of good beer in you...

The Todd

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)