Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Atheist here to answer questions
10-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Question RE: Atheist here to answer questions
(10-18-2017 11:24 PM)Difflugia Wrote:  The part that...keeps me atheist is that I remember still being Christian, but realizing in my heart of hearts that I was wrong.

I suppose we still disagree in that I’ve soured on multiculturalism and the social justice warrior thing, with their confrontational, “in-your-face” approaches. Cultural separatism practiced to celebrate a militant racial identity goes against Martin Luther King’s “...judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” It could also prompt whites to adopt a hardcore identity of their own, the message preached by skinheads. These are quite influential in Poland now. The US needs a national culture with shared values, not a polyglot all at one another’s throat.

At the same time, I don’t think we should cave to conservatives like Charles Murray. Murray is correct about the culture of poverty, which creates endless travails in the population. Yet he forgets that culture programs racism, too, biasing career reward systems against poor people and minorities, and his prescription, to shut the US social welfare system down, stinks.

I consider atheism a defensible position, given the fact that God’s existence and activity cannot be proven. I follow the ontological argument, in which St. Anselm (11th century) defined the god as “that than which nothing greater can be conceived.” He then argued the nonexistence of this object would lead to a contradiction. It’s far from airtight. What does he mean by “greater than,” for instance? Yet again, why is God classified as “supernatural,” as opposed to part and parcel with the natural universe? Sadly, certain churches have abused their moral and theological authority—just to back earthly kings. We don’t worship a comic-book deity who circulates in the GOP. If my fellow Christians chased you out of the fold, I offer you my heartfelt regrets.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2017, 01:37 PM
RE: Atheist here to answer questions
(10-19-2017 12:24 PM)Amememhab Wrote:  If my fellow Christians chased you out of the fold, I offer you my heartfelt regrets.

Nope. Oddly enough, I wasn't really around those kind of Christians until after I was no longer one of them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Toungue my big atheist questions JonathanT 157 16,760 07-07-2016 12:10 PM
Last Post: Rick O'Shez

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)