Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Believe It or Not
02-14-2018, 01:22 PM
RE: Believe It or Not
(02-14-2018 12:12 PM)muhammad_isa Wrote:  Almighty God is aware of every leaf that has fallen and will fall. He is aware of every thought of every creature.
Almighty God is not a person .. He is a hugely powerful, spiritual entity. He maintains the universe. He is neither weary nor sleeps.

Without an a priori belief that this or that scripture is true, how would you know? You can say whatever you want, but there's no way to check and that's the fundamental difference between religion (or at least the religions we're talking about) and science. If I say that God is, in fact, a person and that He likes to nap on Sunday afternoon after His customary lunch of ham and cheese on matzo with a shot of NyQuil for dessert, what method do you use to decide that you're right and I'm wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2018, 01:57 PM
(02-14-2018 01:22 PM)Difflugia Wrote:  Without an a priori belief that this or that scripture is true, how would you know? You can say whatever you want, but there's no way to check and that's the fundamental difference between religion (or at least the religions we're talking about) and science. If I say that God is, in fact, a person and that He likes to nap on Sunday afternoon after His customary lunch of ham and cheese on matzo with a shot of NyQuil for dessert, what method do you use to decide that you're right and I'm wrong?

Yes .. without the Qur'an, I couldn't be so sure about Almighty God's attributes.
Almighty God does not leave us without guidance.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.
02-14-2018, 02:52 PM
(02-14-2018 01:57 PM)muhammad_isa Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 01:22 PM)Difflugia Wrote:  Without an a priori belief that this or that scripture is true, how would you know? You can say whatever you want, but there's no way to check and that's the fundamental difference between religion (or at least the religions we're talking about) and science. If I say that God is, in fact, a person and that He likes to nap on Sunday afternoon after His customary lunch of ham and cheese on matzo with a shot of NyQuil for dessert, what method do you use to decide that you're right and I'm wrong?

Yes .. without the Qur'an, I couldn't be so sure about Almighty God's attributes.

He asked what method you use to determine that you are right and he's wrong... so your "answer"is a pretty transparent way not to answer that question Big Grin

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
02-14-2018, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 04:34 PM by muhammad_isa.)
(02-14-2018 02:52 PM)Herminator Wrote:  ...
He asked what method you use to determine that you are right and he's wrong... so your "answer"is a pretty transparent way not to answer that question Big Grin

OK .. As you know, I was raised a Christian and believed the fundamentals ie. God created the universe
..then I came in contact with the Qur'an. At first I didn't believe it, but a while later, I found it made logical sense to me. It doesn't make sense to me that Almighty God is a person who eats ANY kind of sandwich and could be responsible for all we see.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.
02-14-2018, 04:51 PM
(02-14-2018 01:57 PM)muhammad_isa Wrote:  Yes .. without the Qur'an, I couldn't be so sure about Almighty God's attributes.

How do you pick the one to believe? Is it the one that's the least nonsensical? The one with the fewest contradictions per chapter? I asked a similar question in another thread once: did God lead you to the Qur'an or did the Qur'an lead you to God? When you make a guess about which text was written by God, how do you check to see if you're right?
02-14-2018, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 06:08 PM by muhammad_isa.)
(02-14-2018 04:51 PM)Difflugia Wrote:  ... I asked a similar question in another thread once: did God lead you to the Qur'an or did the Qur'an lead you to God? When you make a guess about which text was written by God, how do you check to see if you're right?

Both .. I believe that Almighty God led me to the Qur'an .. I was most certainly looking for truth at the time. I had just become a father in my early twenties.

I don't need to check if it is right. I have been Muslim now for over 40 years, and while it has not been easy, particularly socially, it is not a coincidence that the disciplines of Islam bring huge rewards .. both in this life and in the next.
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating"

There is no need to take it to extreme .. Almighty God is not looking for us to have a nervous breakdown, but wishes good for us. Naturally, we need to avoid the major sins, such as murder, adultery and fraudulent financial dealings. It is in our own interests to spiritually progress and do our best to please God and gain wisdom & knowledge

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)