Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Benefitting the Dead _2
09-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Benefitting the Dead _2
Paying Financial Debts

Anyone may cover the debts of a dead person, whether they are relatives or not. Furthermore, the payment of outstanding debts can benefit the dead by relieving them from some of the punishment due to them for their negligence in repaying them.

Jaabir said, “A man died and we washed him, perfumed him and shrouded him. Then we brought him to Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) to lead the funeral prayer for him. We asked, ‘Could you pray for him?’ He took a step forward then asked, ‘Does he have any outstanding debts?’ We answered, ‘Two deenaars.’ He said, ‘Make the funeral prayer for your companion,’ ‘and [This addition can be found in another narration of the hadeeth] began to leave’. Aboo Qataadah took responsibility for [paying] them, saying, ‘The two deenaars are my responsibility.’ Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) asked, ‘Will the creditor be taken care of and will the dead person be absolved from them?’ He replied, ‘Yes,’ so the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) led the funeral prayer for him. One day later he asked [Aboo Qataadah], ‘What was done about the two deenaars?’ He replied, ‘He only died yesterday!’ The following day he returned to the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) and said, ‘I have paid them off.’ The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘Now his skin has become cool.’” [Musnad Ahmad, vol.3, p.330; authenticated in Ahkaamul-Janaa’iz, p. 16]

The Charity of Children

Parents will benefit from whatever righteous deeds their children do, without decreasing the reward of their children's good deeds. A righteous child is considered to be part of the parent's earnings.

`Umaarah ibn `Umayr’s aunt asked `Aa’ishah, “I have an orphan under my guardianship. May I consume some of his wealth?” She replied that she had heard Allaah’s Messenger (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) say, “Among the most pleasant things a man consumes is what comes from his own earnings, and his child is from his earnings.” [Sunan Abu Daawood, vol. 2, p. 1002,= no.3521; authenticated in Saheeh Sunan Abee Daawood, vol. 2, p. 674, no. 3013]

`Aa’ishah related that a man asked the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam), “My mother died suddenly, and I think that if she had spoken [before dying], she would have given something in charity. If I give charity on her behalf, will she get the reward? He replied, ‘Yes.’” [Sahih Al- Bukhaari, vol. 2, p.266, no.470, Sahih Muslim, vol. 3, p.866, no.4002, and Sunan Abu Daawood, vol. 2., p.812, no.2875]

Aboo Hurayrah quoted the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) as saying, “When a man dies, his acts come to an end, except in three cases: an ongoing charity, knowledge from which people continue to benefit, and a righteous child who prays for him.” [Sahih Muslim, vol. 3,p.867, no. 4005, and Sunan Abu Daawood, vol. 2, p.812, no.2874]

source: http://www.islamhouse.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Benefitting the Dead _1 moslemman 13 1,810 09-03-2009 01:43 PM
Last Post: moslemman

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)