Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bible justifying slavery?
02-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Bible justifying slavery?
The Bible says in Leviticus 25:44-46 that God told them: "As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: You may buy your male and female slaves from the nations that are round about you ... You may bequeath them to your sons after you, to inherit as a possession forever."

According to Exodus 21:20: "When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he shall not be punished: for the slave is his money."

So this holy book you all worship, is justifying slavery, Such a wonderful god.

One more thing.

..I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. - Matthew 19:23-24, Mark 10:24-25 and Luke 18:24-25.

The total income of American churchgoers is $5.2 trillion. (That's more than five thousand billion dollars.) It would take just a little over 1 percent of the income of American Christians to lift the poorest one billion people in the world out of extreme poverty. Said another way, American Christians, who make up about 5 percent of the Church worldwide, control about half of global Christian wealth

God does not care about riches, churches covered in gold, So why does the American church have $5.2trillion? Believing is free.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2010, 08:01 AM
RE: Bible justifying slavery?
(02-10-2010 08:48 PM)TheAthiest Wrote:  The total income of American churchgoers is $5.2 trillion. (That's more than five thousand billion dollars.) It would take just a little over 1 percent of the income of American Christians to lift the poorest one billion people in the world out of extreme poverty. Said another way, American Christians, who make up about 5 percent of the Church worldwide, control about half of global Christian wealth

God does not care about riches, churches covered in gold, So why does the American church have $5.2trillion? Believing is free.

The churches do not have five trillion dollars. People who go to church do. At least according to your figures. You do have sources?

In 2006, the last year for which figures are available, non-profit charitable organizations in the US received $1.37 trillion. ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/histab16e.xls ) US tax laws make it very difficult to make tax exempt donations to charities outside the US because of the difficulty in checking on where the money really goes. One way of supporting charitable efforts outside the US is the Catholic Church.

Catholic relief Services
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2010 11:24 AM by Stereophonic.)
(02-11-2010 08:01 AM)Parousia Wrote:  ...One way of supporting charitable efforts outside the US is the Catholic Church...

Nothing against Catholic charities at all, but my favorite group is World Vision.
(02-10-2010 08:48 PM)TheAthiest Wrote:  ...Leviticus 25:44-46...Exodus 21:20...

The Old Testament presents the human problem and begins to paint a picture of what the solution might look like. The New Testament gives the solution.

On slavery, see 1 Timothy 1:10-11: "The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching that comes from the glorious Good News entrusted to me by our blessed God" (NLT, emphasis added).

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
(02-11-2010 10:09 AM)Stereophonic Wrote:  Nothing against Catholic charities at all, but my favorite group is World Vision.

World Vision also has a good reputation and donations ARE tax deductible.
02-18-2010, 09:51 AM
(02-10-2010 08:48 PM)TheAthiest Wrote:  The Bible says in Leviticus 25:44-46 that God told them: "As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: You may buy your male and female slaves from the nations that are round about you ... You may bequeath them to your sons after you, to inherit as a possession forever."

According to Exodus 21:20: "When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he shall not be punished: for the slave is his money."

So this holy book you all worship, is justifying slavery, Such a wonderful god.

One more thing.

..I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. - Matthew 19:23-24, Mark 10:24-25 and Luke 18:24-25.

The total income of American churchgoers is $5.2 trillion. (That's more than five thousand billion dollars.) It would take just a little over 1 percent of the income of American Christians to lift the poorest one billion people in the world out of extreme poverty. Said another way, American Christians, who make up about 5 percent of the Church worldwide, control about half of global Christian wealth

People always forget that the Hebrew Bible was not just a religious text. It was the guide for the social and economic lives and, sad as it is, slavery was one way to maintain their economy.

My Lords, do whatever you wish. As for me, I shall do no otherwise than pleases me. - Elizabeth I

I am a thing of beauty. - Frank Sinatra
02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Ecclesiastes 8:9 – “man has dominated man to his injury.” Slavery has been devised by man.
God did allow slavery among the Israelites, however, the slavery that existed in Israel was different from the tyrannical forms of slavery that have existed throughout history.
God’s law stated that kidnapping and selling a human was punishable by death. God also provided guidelines to protect slaves. A slave who was maimed by his master would be set free. If a slave died because his master beat him, the master could be punished with death. Woman captives could be taken as wives. But they were not to be used for mere sexual gratification. The law must have led righthearted Israelites to treat slaves with respect and kindness, as if they were hired laborers.
Some Jews voluntarily became slaves to their fellow Jews in order to pay back debt. This protected people from starvation and actually allowed many to recover from poverty. Also, at key junctures in the Jewish calendar, slaves were to be released if they desired.

Slavery was part of the economic system of the Roman Empire, under which first century Christians lived. Therefore, some Christians were slaves, and others had slaves. – 1 Corinthians 7:21, 22. The apostle Paul encouraged Philemon to treat his slave Onesimus, who had become a Christian, as a brother. – Philemon 10-17.
02-19-2010, 05:51 PM
My only input into this thread is to wonder how embarrassing it must be to have a misspelled name. Unless it's actually a superlative, and TheAthiest is actually the most athi-est of all. If that is the case, my apologies.

---------------
Not selling anything.
03-13-2010, 01:18 AM

the apostles and God are aware of the reality of slavery. they teach that if you are a slave serve well and glorify God doing that. But never do they justify it.
03-13-2010, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2010 07:05 AM by Raphael.)
(02-10-2010 08:48 PM)TheAthiest Wrote:  The Bible says in Leviticus 25:44-46 that God told them: "As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: You may buy your male and female slaves from the nations that are round about you ... You may bequeath them to your sons after you, to inherit as a possession forever."

JC said it best.

Joseph Campbell came to the conclusion that ALL three Levant religions (jews/muslims/christians) are war mythologies.

I respect JCs interpretation of myth AND scripture.

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/
03-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I understand that at the time of Jesus, may peace be on him, in the Roman Empire there were more slaves than free people. Would some one know for sure?

Islam meant to abolish slavery gradually but surely. Here is a short article on the issue of concubines:

http://muslimsunrise.com/dmddocuments/20...df#page=11

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)