Poll: Is: Try to do good, Try to be good something you like?
YES
NO
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
COULD IT BE THIS SIMPLE ?
07-07-2017, 09:17 PM
COULD IT BE THIS SIMPLE ?
I have traveled far and wide, and studied many religions.I believe all people want their children to be law abiding, follow rules of society, help your neighbor when you can, they want to be law abiding people, not kill others ... these are the things people believe In.
-
After much study and review of all of the volumes of text and holy books I have come down to two simple rules, and they are as follows:
-
1. Try to be good.
&
2. Try to do good.
-
It is my belief that when we act in a good manner toward ourselves and for others, that this may encompass 98% of all beliefs in the world.
-
I encourage your feed back, and will include a poll
If you agree please vote YES = 1
If you disagree please vote NO = 2
-
Thomas Knutson MN USA has won awards in several areas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2017, 07:15 AM
RE: COULD IT BE THIS SIMPLE ?
Define 'good'.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
07-08-2017, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2017 02:01 PM by Godslove.)
(07-08-2017 07:15 AM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  Define 'good'.

For me, tkousa1 described good as abiding by the law, following rules of society, helping your neighbor when you can, not killing others
07-08-2017, 04:49 PM
(07-08-2017 01:05 PM)Godslove Wrote:  

For me, tkousa1 described good as abiding by the law, following rules of society, helping your neighbor when you can, not killing others

The rules of the society one is in might be be considered bad by someone from another society. For example, different opinions about the acceptability of sexual preferences, with possible prison sentences for those of unacceptable preferences.

I recall when the military draft was the law in the US and young men were forced to kill people and sometimes get killed themselves. It was the law. Was that good?

In some more primitive societies, anyone from another tribe might be considered automatically an enemy and deserving of death. In an environment where there are more people than resources, failing to do this could lead to the extinction of one's own society at the hands of other tribes. Or if everyone decided that killing was wrong, there could be mass starvation.

So what is 'good'?

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
07-08-2017, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2017 07:51 PM by tkousa1.)
GOOD: Of favorable character. To have a tendency of building things for the betterment. To build up yourself, others or community. To be a good servant. Conforming to a higher standard. Seeking a high quality in creating things and ideas. To be a person of caliber. To be honest and or respected.
Every soldier prays for peace.

Every person hopes to be seen as an equal.

Every person wants to be loved.
07-08-2017, 08:12 PM
(07-08-2017 07:48 PM)tkousa1 Wrote:  GOOD: Of favorable character. To have a tendency of building things for the betterment. To build up yourself, others or community. To be a good servant. Conforming to a higher standard. Seeking a high quality in creating things and ideas. To be a person of caliber. To be honest and or respected.
Every soldier prays for peace.

Every person hopes to be seen as an equal.

Every person wants to be loved.
That's a very good response. Smile

07-08-2017, 08:31 PM
(07-08-2017 07:48 PM)tkousa1 Wrote:  
GOOD: Of favorable character. To have a tendency of building things for the betterment. To build up yourself, others or community. To be a good servant. Conforming to a higher standard. Seeking a high quality in creating things and ideas. To be a person of caliber. To be honest and or respected.

All relative to the prevailing standards. Different societies have different and contradictory standards as per my examples.

Quote:Every soldier prays for peace.

Are those who dodged conscription into what they considered an immoral war good or not?

Quote:Every person hopes to be seen as an equal.

There are those who want to be seen as superior. This ranges from simple ego-boosting oneupmanship to full-blown dictatorial aspirations.

Quote:Every person wants to be loved.

But how many are willing to love in return as much as they want to be loved?

- Albert Einstein
07-08-2017, 08:39 PM
(07-08-2017 08:31 PM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  

All relative to the prevailing standards. Different societies have different and contradictory standards as per my examples.

Are those who dodged conscription into what they considered an immoral war good or not?

There are those who want to be seen as superior. This ranges from simple ego-boosting oneupmanship to full-blown dictatorial aspirations.

Now, I could have done that, II. I was trying to be constructive. Wink

07-08-2017, 08:56 PM
(07-08-2017 08:39 PM)IMtM Wrote:  
(07-08-2017 08:31 PM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  

Now, I could have done that, II. I was trying to be constructive. Wink

My point was that 'good' and all the other abstracts humans like to talk about are ideals that do not exist in the real world. If we want a good society, and most of us do, it is not a simple matter to achieve. We have to figure out what it really means and how to get there. We have to invent what leads in a practical way to goodness. Everyone being good and doing good is not a bad idea. But what does it really entail and how to get there?

- Albert Einstein
07-08-2017, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2017 10:29 PM by PeterPants.)
Indeed II. Doing good is an ideal. An ideal we can recognize and then actively work towards.
I agree that recognizing the ideal does not actually answer anything at all about what is and what is not good to do.

Feeding starving populations, good or bad?
Its very difficult to determine in any specific case. Often its unsustainable and leads to population booms. And then even worse starvation. Responding to catastrophes is generaly good, but feeding people who simple cant produce their own food, may well be a terrible thing to do.

So yes, it is that simple to recognize the goal. Now lets get working on all the rest shall we Tongue

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to become a God in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 120 3,612 12-05-2016 11:55 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  A simple question jd01 26 1,947 12-02-2015 11:21 PM
Last Post: AzothWho:87
  A SIMPLE example....the lesson. EqualAtheist 30 3,006 10-31-2012 01:01 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  Simple Religious Interview - Anybody interested? collegekid211 0 428 07-15-2010 09:41 PM
Last Post: collegekid211
  Simple challenge to ALL THEORIES ... bring it on* Raphael 1 697 07-11-2010 08:05 AM
Last Post: KC Carter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)