Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Calling God “Father” in Matt(God begets not, nor is he begotten (Qur'an, 112:3) part5
03-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Calling God “Father” in Matt(God begets not, nor is he begotten (Qur'an, 112:3) part5
Calling God “Father” in Matthew’s Gospel
We have already seen in part 4 that Matthew was eager to add the title Son of God where it did not exist in Mark and Luke. Let us look at one more example of this. On one occasion, Jesus asked his disciples who they think he is. Peter’s reply is recorded in Mark (8:29), Luke (9:20) and Matthew (16:6) as follows:

In Mark: “You are the Christ”
In Luke: “You are the Christ of God”
In Matthew: “You are the Christ, son of the living God.”

Notice that Matthew has added the phrase "Son of the living God" to Peter’s declaration.

The other side of calling Jesus ‘Son of God’ is to call God ‘Father’. We find in the Gospels that the title Father is also added to the Bible in several places where it did not belong. Matthew was eager not only to call Jesus ‘Son of God’, but also to call God ‘Father’. In Matthew 10:29, Jesus called God ‘your Father’. The identical saying of Jesus is reported also in Luke with the significant difference that in Luke God is called God (see Luke 12:6).

Another example of this occurs in Matthew 10:32-33. There Jesus is reported to have said:

“So every one who acknowledges me before men. I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 10:32-33).

The very saying of Jesus is reported also in Luke, but the title “my Father” is not there. Once again, Matthew modified the saying of Jesus to convince his readers that Jesus is the Son of God.

Another example is the following saying of Jesus:

“Whoever does the will of God is my brother, and sister, and mother” (Mark 3:35).

That saying is also reported in Luke as follows:

“My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.” (Luke 8:21)

The words vary in the two reports, but notice that in each case God was called God. But in the same saying of Jesus reported in Matthew, we will find that God is called ‘my Father’ (see Matthew 12:50). Once again, Matthew modified the saying of Jesus to help prove that Jesus is the Son of God.

We do not have space in this series to look at John’s Gospel. But in a separate series we will show, with God’s help, that even more changes occurred in John’s Gospel.

In the next part we will see that Jesus was viewed by his earliest followers as the messiah and prophet of God, but never as Son of God.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2010, 08:35 AM
RE: Calling God “Father” in Matt(God begets not, nor is he begotten (Qur'an, 112:3) part5
Muslim missionary propaganda and it's old and stale as Muslims show their inability to think for themselves and post like clones exactly the same set of Muslim criticisms of Christianity over and over and over again. It's just as boring as watching reruns of old tv shows and about as enlightening.
03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
RE: Calling God “Father” in Matt(God begets not, nor is he begotten (Qur'an, 112:3) part5
OK here is a new question, that at least I have never heard before.

In Christianity, God had at least one begotten son. Can he have more? Would it be only sons or also daughters?

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
03-03-2010, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2010 04:00 PM by Stereophonic.)
"“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16, New Living Translation, emphasis added).

What part of "one and only" don't you understand?

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
(03-03-2010 01:33 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  "“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16, New Living Translation, emphasis added).

Oops! Stereo, you're going to hoisted on your own petard because where there is a son there can be a daughter. The Daughter of God has been seen in spiritual vision so be prepared for the return of the Spirit of Christ "in feminine form came She" as the first Christian prophetess Priscilla saw in her spiritual vision way back in the second century AD.
03-03-2010, 07:47 PM
(03-03-2010 06:10 PM)biomystic Wrote:  
(03-03-2010 01:33 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  "“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16, New Living Translation, emphasis added).

Oops! Stereo, you're going to hoisted on your own petard because where there is a son there can be a daughter. The Daughter of God has been seen in spiritual vision so be prepared for the return of the Spirit of Christ "in feminine form came She" as the first Christian prophetess Priscilla saw in her spiritual vision way back in the second century AD.

Lol there is saying "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". If she is a red head it will be even worse Smile
03-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Alright no more with the blonde jokes from me. Just in caseWink

????????????????
03-03-2010, 09:38 PM
(03-03-2010 01:33 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  What part of "one and only" don't you understand?

The only son of Abraham was to be sacrificed. Not only Genesis 22:2 but Genesis 22:12 as well as Genesis 22:16 mention that this honor belonged to the ‘only son.’

Ishmael has repeatedly been mentioned in the Bible as Abraham's son, exactly as Isaac has been mentioned as his son (Gen. 16:16; 17:23,25). Additionally, Bible calls Hagar a lawful wife of Abraham, “Then Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar her maid, the Egyptian, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.” (Genesis 16:3)

Ishmael was 13-14 years older than Isaac, lived to have numerous sons. Isaac at no time in Abraham's life was his only son. Yet Christians insist that Isaac was the sacrificial son. This is the part of 'only son,' that I do not understand. I am glad that you asked!

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
03-03-2010, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2010 10:47 PM by Stereophonic.)
(03-03-2010 09:38 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  ...Isaac at no time in Abraham's life was his only son...

You are forgetting that in Genesis 21:14 Abraham sends Hagar and Ishmael away (at Sarah's request). After that, as far as the sacrificial narrative is concerned, Isaac is the only son.

The narrator is quite clear that Abraham is a person who makes mistakes. Having a son with Hagar was a mistake, and even though God gives Ishmael a blessing of his own, Ishmael has no part in the all-important covenant line of God's promise to Abraham.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-03-2010, 11:07 PM
(03-03-2010 10:10 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  You are forgetting that in Genesis 21:14 Abraham sends Hagar and Ishmael away (at Sarah's request). After that, as far as the sacrificial narrative is concerned, Isaac is the only son.

That is very twisted logic. If son goes out of the country he ceases to be a son? Have you ever travelled out of USA, or out of your state?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why do you believe the Qur'an is God's word? Difflugia 32 489 10-30-2017 09:59 PM
Last Post: arthra
  No Theists when Death comes calling RamaRaksha 52 1,461 10-24-2017 09:57 PM
Last Post: Imprecise Interrupt
  Your calling. gavenv 14 990 06-25-2016 01:28 AM
Last Post: Klang
  Does the Qur'an really the word of God ??? ahmedgnaoui 14 1,591 08-24-2015 04:53 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Calling all atheists Leosnake 25 3,954 04-05-2015 06:18 PM
Last Post: EricWhitfield
  God begets not, nor is he begotten (Qur'an, 112:3) part2 mobkem 10 11,400 06-29-2014 09:35 AM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Anyone calling themselves christian here? kjw47 6 1,580 06-28-2014 03:54 PM
Last Post: StarStuff
  One God, One Message, God's Kingdom is near... Sweetflower87 2 530 12-08-2013 01:24 PM
Last Post: Huitaca
  GOD IS ALIVE, GOD IS female, and SHE SPOKE TO Me on 12/06/2010 Jesus II 5 2,176 03-18-2012 09:49 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  God 3%. Satan 97%. Does God needs a new marketing man? Greatest I am 13 2,117 06-07-2011 09:57 PM
Last Post: georgeTmaxwell

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)