Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Can Atheism be considered a religion?
05-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Can Atheism be considered a religion?
I personally consider it a religion, as it is the active belief in nothing supernatural. I am not, however, atheist. I find some atheists and theists alike who do not like the idea of atheism being considered a religion. Opinions?

Asynchronicity
Spiritual Counselor
http://gnosticgnight.blogspot.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2008, 12:32 AM
RE: Can Atheism be considered a religion?
I suppose it would depend on your definition of religion. Lets look at some, and the definition of atheism while we're at it:

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

Atheism
A"the*ism\, n. [Cf. F. ath['e]isme. See Atheist.]
1. The disbelief or denial of the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being.
2. Godlessness.

Religion
Re*li"gion\ (r[-e]*l[i^]j"[u^]n), n. [F., from L. religio; cf. religens pious, revering the gods, Gr. 'ale`gein to heed, have a care. Cf. Neglect.]
1. The outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a god or of gods having power over their destiny, to whom obedience, service, and honor are due; the feeling or expression of human love, fear, or awe of some superhuman and overruling power, whether by profession of belief, by observance of rites and ceremonies, or by the conduct of life; a system of faith and worship; a manifestation of piety; as, ethical religions; monotheistic religions; natural religion; revealed religion; the religion of the Jews; the religion of idol worshipers.
2. Specifically, conformity in faith and life to the precepts inculcated in the Bible, respecting the conduct of life and duty toward God and man; the Christian faith and practice.
3. (R. C. Ch.) A monastic or religious order subject to a regulated mode of life; the religious state; as, to enter religion. --Trench.
4. Strictness of fidelity in conforming to any practice, as if it were an enjoined rule of conduct. [R.]

If your definition of religion is number 1 or 2, then atheism is by definition the lack of religion, and therefore is not a religion itself. If you go by number 4, it might be able to be considered a religion.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that here in the U.S., the courts have made the determination that, for purposes of legal definitions, atheism is a religion. If your definition of religion is no more than "a person's response to the idea of God", then atheism certainly qualifies. But I think that definition (and probably the court's definition, though I haven't seen it) is a bit too broadly defined.

Atheism, for me and nearly all the atheists I know, is simply a negative response to the question "Do you believe in God?". Nothing more or less than that. How that "no" could possibly qualify as a religion is frankly beyond my comprehension.
Find all posts by this user
05-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Maybe it depends on your atheism? Could there be passive and active atheists?

I would be an active atheist (if I weren't a theist), I think. If I did not believe in a supernatural being(s) of some sort, I would actively put my faith in what could be perceived by the natural (five) senses. That is to say, I would still view myself as part of something larger than me that defines my moral conduct (the universe), it would just be natural and not supernatural.

Asynchronicity
Spiritual Counselor
05-25-2008, 02:05 AM
I posed this question on another religion forum I am on, and got a really good answer. I have now been persuaded that atheism is not a religion.

The argument that changed my mind:

Quote:Nope, in the same way that Theism isn't a religion, it encompasses several beliefs, hell, Buddhism is an atheistic religion. Humanism I would call a secular religion. Atheism on it's own is not a religion.

My reply:

Quote:I had never thought of it that way, which is strange considering I have often discussed atheism and theism as each other's opposites.

I should have seen this myself, being a theist but not having a religion for a long time. I guess nstead of "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual" one should say, "I am not religious, but I am a theist."

Asynchronicity
Spiritual Counselor
05-27-2008, 10:31 PM
That is a thought provoking answer.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
05-28-2008, 06:40 AM
I am half atheist and half buddhism. We atheist doesn't believe in religion, but me, i'm a buddhism too so i believe in religion but i don't believe in "GOD" because there is no GOD
06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
atheism is not a religion (except for tax purposes which i disagree with as a whole).

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek
06-29-2008, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2008 06:48 PM by Seeker.)
Do you define religion as a belief in the supernatural or an organized belief system?

Do you define Atheism as the belief that there is no God? I've just recently discovered that some agnostics call themselves 'Weak Atheists' so as a whole I'm no longer sure how to define Atheism.

It's really depended on how you define those two words.
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I hate being pigeonholed, but I dont believe in religion, and nor do most atheists, so *gulp* I guess I'm an atheist. If I didnt eat eat I would be a vegetarian. So, I dont believe in relligion. I'm an atheist. Of course its not a religion.

Next please.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Atheism A Reaction To Religion? kevlar 30 4,530 05-13-2010 02:39 AM
Last Post: prometheuspan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)