Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can a follower of Buddhism be a Monotheist?
11-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Can a follower of Buddhism be a Monotheist?
I've seen various forms of Buddhism and one thing I've noticed is allot of Buddhist are either Atheist or Agnostic.

Are there Theist Buddhist?
Such as a Buddhist with a Hindu background or a Buddhist with a Western Monotheist background.

Buddhism to me seems to be about advance Logic, so are there Theist Buddhist?

I've read some about what Buddhist believe, and to me it seems like a Faith that only a monk or a nun would want to follow!

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
RE: Can a follower of Buddhism be a Monotheist?
(11-21-2009 03:35 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  I've seen various forms of Buddhism and one thing I've noticed is allot of Buddhist are either Atheist or Agnostic.

Are there Theist Buddhist?
Such as a Buddhist with a Hindu background or a Buddhist with a Western Monotheist background.

Buddhism to me seems to be about advance Logic, so are there Theist Buddhist?

I've read some about what Buddhist believe, and to me it seems like a Faith that only a monk or a nun would want to follow!

truth is i have not dealt with buddism. in all of my studies it just never came across outside of a general descritiption lol.

here was a sight that got me thinking.

http://vajra.us/gus_oil_and_water.html

but why not?
12-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Many people take the ideas of Buddhism and apply them to their own life. They are not worshiping, they are simply taking an alternate way of living into their lives.
12-18-2009, 05:44 PM
There are gods in Buddhism, but in most forms they are treated as symbols. Tibetan Buddhism uses a lot of Hindu gods, for example. I think it depends on the sect really, but that religion isn't one of my strong subjects sadly.
12-23-2009, 02:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2009 12:22 PM by wisdom007.)
Hindu Kshatriya Prince Gautama Siddharta the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.

Regarding Tibet Acording to Hindu Puranas it is Known as "Tapobhumi", a land of meditation and penance orginal name of Tibet is Tapobhumi ...

Manasa Sarovar Lake & Mount Kailasa are in Tibet, where Lord Shiva sits in a state of perpetual meditation ...

Tibeten Buddism is Tantric it is hindu ...Rituals use mantra and deities in their practices ...

Known.... is drop...Unknown... is an ocean.. || Om Namah Shivaya ||
12-28-2009, 06:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2009 06:07 AM by Charles Die Hammern.)
No Buddhists can not be monotheist, mono meaning single, the momotheist teaches that there is one God and all comes from the father the son and the holy ghost that being one in three, that Christ is God and is one in the Holy God Almighty ruler of all the universe which the holy spirit manifests through, it is Buddhist teaching that there is no single God, but a number of God's depending on what you believe.
Being a Roman Catholic the single refelection of Holy God almighty is shown as Jesus Christ the son of God and acknowledging that without God Almighty the Father of all creation there is nothing, Buddhist to me seem more polytheist a ''supposed'' teaching of multi gods as their source fluxuates from what they claim to be a sphere of deities repeatedly being reincarnated until you ''supposedly" get it right, for a Buddhist to be momotheist they would need to only accept the one true Holy God the Father of Christ Jesus, and denounce their faith, in addition to this us Catholics believe in the ressurection of the dead that is the human body in perfect and complete state, polytheist are usually varied but nearly all but a couple look to the reincarnation of the diety in spiritual forms as opposed to the full return of the human form after death, hence the one and only true God almighty made man in his own image.

MI SDM
02-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Great reply well i just want to say where i have no deeply knowledge Most Buddhists do not believe in a god at all. Buddha said himself he was simply a man. People bow before the queen of England as well. It is usually just a sign of respect. The idea of a follower bowing to a leader seems to be a very old practice with a long evolutionary history in many mammals. You see it in dogs all the time.
02-24-2010, 06:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2010 06:19 AM by Ahmadi.)
Here is an chapter of a book arguing that Buddhism started as a theist religion:

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/rev...ion_2.html

In an article published in Muslim Sunrise in 2006, The Concept of God in Buddhism, Imran Ghumman traces the concept of One God in early Buddhism. He writes:

"'Confess and believe in God (Is’ana) who is the worthy object of obedience…… Oh strive ye to obtain this inestimable treasure' ...said Buddha as quoted by King Ashoka in one of his inscriptions at Pardohli, a rock located in the Eastern bank of the river Katak, twenty miles from Jagan Nath, India."

He outlines at least 7 proofs for his thesis that Buddha believed in One God, the One God of Moses, David, Solomon, Jesus and Muhammad, may peace be upon all of them. Read Imran Ghumman's article online:

http://www.muslimsunrise.com/dmddocument...df#page=19

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
03-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi well i know that Many people take the ideas of Buddhism and apply them to their own life but never practice the religion...

Cuban cigars | Habanos | Cigars
04-11-2010, 03:23 PM
(03-02-2010 03:54 PM)michaelmast Wrote:  Hi well i know that Many people take the ideas of Buddhism and apply them to their own life but never practice the religion...

That would be me. Smile I've had one organized religion in my life, and that was plenty.

I instead strip Buddhism down to the very basics (which is quite challenging on its own) and use it as a guide to live my life.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)