Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can i belive and practice 2 religions?
02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Can i belive and practice 2 religions?
Is it possible to practice and believe in Sikhisim and Christianity?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
RE: Can i belive and practice 2 religions?
For a certain definition of the two, I'm sure there are. There's no one opinion on how to practice any religion, and in addition there are universalist sects that try to merge multiple religions together. The big question is what do you believe, and can you sustain that belief in the face of challenges against it?

Quite honestly, it's possible to practice anything. There are hypocrites who don't think too much about internal consistency who practice all sorts of directly opposing doctrines. I think the question you're really asking is, "Is it logical to practice and believe in Sikhisim and Christianity." For that you need to examine both, and measure them against reason and rationality.
02-20-2009, 09:40 AM
i would love to practice both Angel but wouldn't people find it strange as both religions views are different?
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
(02-20-2009 09:40 AM)belkin Wrote:  i would love to practice both Angel but wouldn't people find it strange as both religions views are different?

Difference is fine, but are they compatible? I don't know enough about Sikhism to answer that one way or the other.
02-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Similarities

Submission to the will of God, Hukam.

Khalsa brotherhood and sacrament.

Brotherhood of man.

Fatherhood of God and salvation by grace.

Jewish emphasis on 'The Name'.

Differences

Salvation for the 'choosen people'. Sikhism believes anyone can achieve salvation irrespective of the religion that they follow if they endear God in their heart and daily actions.

Christian concept of Jesus as son of God. Sikhism regards all as the children of God.

Infant baptism. In Sikhism child baptism into the Khalsa brotherhood is discouraged. One should only become a Khalsa when they are able to fully understand the duties and responsibilities.

Special Day for worship. There is no special day like Sunday or Sabbath for worship.

Heaven and Hell as physical entities. In Sikhism there are no such physical places. Hell is equivalent to the cycles of births and deaths and heaven is equivalent to the soul merging with God.

Priests. Guru Gobind Singh abolished the priestly class making Sikhism free from their weaknesses and egos, the only priest is the Living Guru, the Guru Granth Sahib which contains all the knowledge and which is available for reading by any Sikh.
02-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Of course people will find it strange. But if you want a religion that people won't find strange, just look up popularity demographics and join the most popular religion in your area. If you want truth, you've got to find it yourself whether people find it strange or not.

Again, from my point of view the most important point is that the faith is internally consistent and does not contradict what we know about the universe.
02-20-2009, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2009 05:17 PM by Annolennar.)
I can try to answer the differences, since you're interested in whether they can be reconciled. When referring to specifics, I'll use Catholic belief, as its what I know best.

(02-20-2009 12:58 PM)belkin Wrote:  Salvation for the 'choosen people'. Sikhism believes anyone can achieve salvation irrespective of the religion that they follow if they endear God in their heart and daily actions.

This may not be a conflict, depending on what type of Christianity you are interested in adopting - salvation for "chosen people" isn't really a universal Christian belief.

From a Christian perspective, non-Christians may be saved by seeking God and following the natural law written on the hearts of all mankind. The keyword being "may"; we don't know, and its not our place to judge, because we have no way of knowing where someone else stands with God. The salvation still comes by and through Christ; but, of course, not everyone is born into circumstances in which they may properly be called Christians, and so they still can strive to meet God from where they are, as God reaches out to all regardless of their knowledge or circumstance.

Quote:Christian concept of Jesus as son of God. Sikhism regards all as the children of God.

This is one of the more serious conflicts.

Christianity and Sikhism are probably similar in regards to all of humanity being "children of God", in meaning if not in exactly the same explicit language. However, it is essential that one understand that Christ is not just the son of God, but also God the Son. As the Nicene Creed puts it: "only begotten of the Father (meaning of the same essence)... Light of/from Light, true God of/from true God." Paraphrased there, as I'm quoting from memory.

Of course, there are Christian denominations that don't accept the Trinity, but I can't speak for them.

Quote:Infant baptism. In Sikhism child baptism into the Khalsa brotherhood is discouraged. One should only become a Khalsa when they are able to fully understand the duties and responsibilities.

Confirmation is the Christian equivalent, and is made at the age of accountability, and part of that is training and instruction in what being Christian means.

Again, though, there are Christian groups who also don't believe in infant baptism that you could look into, but I can't speak for them.

Quote:Special Day for worship. There is no special day like Sunday or Sabbath for worship.

In Christianity, every day is a day to worship and praise God. The Sabbath is simply a day which we set aside in a more special way.

Speaking from purely my perspective, its not so much the day that matters - in fact, I often go to Mass on a different day from week to week - but more of an obligation to set aside a regular time to honor God (and of course, the celebration of the Eucharist).

Quote:Heaven and Hell as physical entities. In Sikhism there are no such physical places. Hell is equivalent to the cycles of births and deaths and heaven is equivalent to the soul merging with God.

This probably isn't a difference, as I know of no mainstream Christian group that believes that Heaven and Hell are physical places. In fact, they remain fairly undefined, other than eternality and union or seperation from God.

However, there is probably a difference if by "cycle of births and deaths" you mean reincarnation. Not saying its irreconcilable, just that its not an accepted belief of mainstream Christianity.

Quote:Priests. Guru Gobind Singh abolished the priestly class making Sikhism free from their weaknesses and egos, the only priest is the Living Guru, the Guru Granth Sahib which contains all the knowledge and which is available for reading by any Sikh.

I'm not familiar with what role priests fill (or filled) in Sikhism, so I can't really speak to this, other than to say that there is no way to rid ourselves of human weakness and ego so long as we remain a part of this world.

-

In general, I'd say that it depends on what two religions are in question and how far you are willing to bend either religion, so long as they aren't mutually exclusive in beliefs. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Sikhism to definitively say whether it has any beliefs that contradict Christian beliefs (or at least, essential ones).

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
02-20-2009, 08:12 PM
only if i can practice both democracy and totalitarianism
02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Must . . . avoid . . . topical . . . political . . . discussion . . . on . . . religion . . . forums . . .

But seriously, it's hard to get past the whole "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the Father but by me" Jesus speech in Christianity and still call yourself Christian, but you can definitely take elements of both faiths to find one that makes you feel good about the world.

Which, if you believe Bokonon when he says that's the point of religion anyway, is fine as far as it goes. If you actually believe there is a solid truth and you want to find it, it gets trickier, then you need to decide the best way to find actual truth. But it sounds to me as if these two religions just resonate with you, in which case just take the parts that resonate for you. Just don't get religion-as-truth and religion-to-make-you-feel-good mixed up.
02-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Whilst Sikhism may try to incorporate Christianity the world views as they pertain to the truth claims of both religions in terms of the nature and reality of the universe and God cannot be reconciled as GT has pointed out. In fact Sikhism itself is a testament of the problems involved. Guru Gobind Singh tried to reconcile Hunduism with Islam with the result that Hunduism and Islam rejected this attempt and it became a seperate religion which we know today as Sikhism.

I would agree with GT on this it depends on whether you are looking for truth or the feel good factor.

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  qualities of spiritual practice Adi Baba 7 761 02-28-2013 05:55 PM
Last Post: Adi Baba
  Why do you belive in God azureus1234 12 1,329 07-04-2012 12:45 PM
Last Post: Satyros
Question if GOD is one, should we practice DUALITY THOUGHTS in the mind? harcharanjit 4 1,279 12-09-2008 08:41 AM
Last Post: Question_It

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)