Poll: Do mental disorders affect the nature of peoples' souls?
Yes, when the disorder affects who they are as a person
No, 'mental disorders' are all physical/chemical
There's no such thing as souls
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can souls be 'mentally disabled'?
12-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Question Can souls be 'mentally disabled'?
Well, physical problems aren't translated to people's souls (assuming there are souls), but what about mental problems? For example, if an autistic person dies, what is their soul like? There are also other disabilities that basically make people who they are (personality-wise), like ADHD. Or, even more debatable, if you got a lobotomy that changed your personality, then would your soul act pre- or post-lobotomy?
Just an intriguing thought.

"The problem with religion is that it's not the invisible guys in the sky telling us how to live, it's their fan clubs. -Unknown"
Warning: If I were a D&D character, my alignment would be Chaotic Lawful. That is all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2008, 02:27 AM
RE: Can souls be 'mentally disabled'?
My view: the soul is completely independent of the body and mind and is the individual's true essence which has no physical or mental characteristics, therefore it is spiritual. As a Christian I believe that God judges our souls, not our minds or bodies, because our souls ultimately reflect what's been going on with our minds and bodies.
12-05-2008, 05:00 PM
JonathanT Wrote:My view: the soul is completely independent of the body and mind and is the individual's true essence which has no physical or mental characteristics, therefore it is spiritual. As a Christian I believe that God judges our souls, not our minds or bodies, because our souls ultimately reflect what's been going on with our minds and bodies.

Ok... so the soul does... what then? Is it just a reflection of who we were in our lives, or is it... ugh... I guess I mean, what do you mean by 'true essence'?[/i]

"The problem with religion is that it's not the invisible guys in the sky telling us how to live, it's their fan clubs. -Unknown"
Warning: If I were a D&D character, my alignment would be Chaotic Lawful. That is all.
12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
uhm, we have no souls?
12-26-2008, 02:24 AM
well ive alwasy had the understand that the soul was just the emotional core of person which ive always found as a releatively good defination for the soul. I mean lets put this into christian sense heaven is supposed to be eternal bliss so someone who is emotionally secure in them self and happy on the inside once the body is stripped away and the person has no creavess inside in which to hide from their emotions then they would feel unfiltered eternal bliss becasue they had come to terms to with themself a lead a happy life without guilt or if they donot they would feel eternal pain as in guilt or negitive feelings. if we accept this understanding then in keeping with the christian theme then the ten commandments and the bible wuld be a guide to reaching this state. so then weather your mentally challanged or have personality disorders becomes irrelevant.

always seemed to make sense to me.

"Perhaps you've seen them only then you've just believed
And when they're fleeing then you feel you've been deceived
But in that feeling something ancient's been retrieved"
-Jack Hardy
12-26-2008, 04:48 AM
(12-05-2008 01:43 AM)David Grupultsnik Wrote:  Well, physical problems aren't translated to people's souls (assuming there are souls), but what about mental problems? For example, if an autistic person dies, what is their soul like? There are also other disabilities that basically make people who they are (personality-wise), like ADHD. Or, even more debatable, if you got a lobotomy that changed your personality, then would your soul act pre- or post-lobotomy?
Just an intriguing thought.

I've always thought that the soul was rather frivolous. Why does something need to exist forever? Why should something exist after physical death? That said, I don't think that if the soul did exist, it would be affected by mental problems. The soul is supposedly separated from the physical body, and mental problems are usually caused by physical problems within the brain itself. As for the idea of a lobotomy, again the soul is supposedly different. Not to mention the fact that you can't change something that doesn't exist Tongue

Also, my D&D character is Chaotic Evil. We should fight. :O
12-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Quote:Why does something need to exist forever?

because otherwise we'd be completely anihilated at death and our earthly deeds accounted to a whopping - nothing. Plus the idea of our absolute nonexistance goes against a natural desire for immortality
01-07-2009, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2009 04:03 AM by Pilgrim.)
Actually the Biblical declaration is that all souls are spiritually handicapped from the outset and such physical, mental & emotional disorders that exist are a direct result of this and because of the fall of man. Without wishing to put myself at odds with Twenty-Two 20, again the Biblical declaration and the literal resurrection would mitigate against the soul being a formless essence of the person bereft of reason, personality, conciousness or memory. If you could see my soul you would see me as I appear in the material world (Although I'll admit I'd take off a few pounds for asthetic preference and perhaps vanity's sake. Smile ) If you could hear my soul speak you would hear my voice.

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)