Poll: Relative or Absolute?
Relative?
Absolute?
Mixture of Both?
Other? Please explain.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Choice.
04-13-2009, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2009 09:51 AM by George.)
Choice.
In terms of the truth:

Are things Relative?

or

Are things Absolute?

Please feel free to have an opinion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2009, 02:02 AM
RE: Relative or Absolute?
"Things" is too vague. Truth is absolute. Morality is relative. My age is absolute. My worth is relative.
Find all posts by this user
04-14-2009, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2009 02:11 AM by George.)
Is it............? Read the question more carefully.
04-14-2009, 02:11 AM
I hate to sound Clintonian, but you need to define "It". The vague wise man thing is fine, but unless you define the terms somewhat it's also fairly useless.
04-14-2009, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2009 02:15 AM by George.)
(04-13-2009 07:10 PM)George Wrote:  In terms of the truth:

Are things Relative?

or

Are things Absolute?

Please feel free to have an opinion.

Quote:"Things" is too vague. Truth is absolute. Morality is relative. My age is absolute. My worth is relative.

You have already answered the question.
04-14-2009, 09:27 AM
It's a bogus poll. To me, my faith is truth and it is absolute. To GT, (give me so leeway, GT, I'm not picking on you, it's just that you and I are polar opposites on the matter, so you're a good candidate. I'd use Damian if he were still on here!!) my faith is not absolute or truth. So, IMO, the poll is bogus and can't be debated.

My 14 year old son's absolute truth is completely different than my idea of absolute truth. To him, jumping around under the shower spray is taking a shower. To me, shampoo and soap are a deciding factor in what constitutes a shower.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
RE: Choice.
And yet, unless we say our universes are just illusions made for us that somehow interact with each other, there must be an absolute truth. Not necessarily moral, or ethical truth, but there must be a set of things that actually are. As in, "The universe is this, it does this, and it follows these rules." The problem is even with modern science we only know a portion of how the universe works. We believe that we're not honing in on the truth, but we may have another Newton or Einstein come along and prove that everything we thought we knew about the nature of reality is completely wrong.

And that's why I'm down on faith in general. People with faith believe it is absolute truth. I'm saying, our understanding of truth has changed so much over just the last hundred years, how can you possibly think that something designed thousands of years ago has anything remotely to do with the truth?

Our understanding of the universe changes daily. Our understanding of the truth must change with it, or else we will continue believing in fiction.
04-14-2009, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2009 10:05 PM by George.)
(04-14-2009 09:27 AM)Alison Wrote:  It's a bogus poll. To me, my faith is truth and it is absolute. To GT, (give me so leeway, GT, I'm not picking on you, it's just that you and I are polar opposites on the matter, so you're a good candidate. I'd use Damian if he were still on here!!) my faith is not absolute or truth. So, IMO, the poll is bogus and can't be debated.

My 14 year old son's absolute truth is completely different than my idea of absolute truth. To him, jumping around under the shower spray is taking a shower. To me, shampoo and soap are a deciding factor in what constitutes a shower.

Your answer tells me you think it is relative. Why didn't you answer the question?

There are also other options.

Interesting use of language.
04-15-2009, 09:15 AM
(04-14-2009 10:04 PM)George Wrote:  
(04-14-2009 09:27 AM)Alison Wrote:  It's a bogus poll. To me, my faith is truth and it is absolute. To GT, (give me so leeway, GT, I'm not picking on you, it's just that you and I are polar opposites on the matter, so you're a good candidate. I'd use Damian if he were still on here!!) my faith is not absolute or truth. So, IMO, the poll is bogus and can't be debated.

Your answer tells me you think it is relative. Why didn't you answer the question?

There are also other options.

Interesting use of language.

I did answer the question. Do you see in my original post where I stated:

"To me, my faith is truth and it is absolute."

You were clear in your invitation to share an opinion, yet you didn't like it when I did.

You didn't list any other options and you used a very vague term of 'things'. As this is a religion forum, I opted to use my faith as your 'thing.'

Since you're going to split hairs ...

Physical things in this world are absolute -- table, chair, paper, pen, etc. If I can apply my five senses to them, obviously they are absolute.

Opinions are relative, hence the anecdote about the shower.

How, exactly, is my use of language interesting? I'm a southerner, so my phrasing may be a factor. I try to keep my dialect out of my sentences, but sometimes it sneaks in.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
04-16-2009, 03:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2009 03:19 AM by George.)
RE: Choice.
Thank you for your opinion. It is welcome.

Quote:"To me, my faith is truth and it is absolute."

This is an aswer to your own question and is your own opinion. It is not an answer to my question.

Quote:You didn't list any other options and you used a very vague term of 'things'. As this is a religion forum, I opted to use my faith as your 'thing.'

Since you're going to split hairs ...

Physical things in this world are absolute -- table, chair, paper, pen, etc. If I can apply my five senses to them, obviously they are absolute.

Opinions are relative, hence the anecdote about the shower.

Why didn't you vote?

There is a mixture of both option.

Quote:So, IMO, the poll is bogus and can't be debated.
Quote:How, exactly, is my use of language interesting?

You stated that this poll cannot be debated, what are we doing?

Quote:I can apply my five senses to them, obviously they are absolute.

This must include the wind, rain, sun, planet, solar system, and The Universe and all Energy associated within it.

What is an opinion?

Why didn't you vote?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)