Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Christians: A foreshadowing of the Bible
08-12-2013, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 08:31 AM by Visqueen.)
Christians: A foreshadowing of the Bible
Did you know writings by Hermes Trismegustas forshadowed the bible?

Have you ever read them? Seemingly contradicting Egyptian Religion, Hermes (the writers of Hermes) went on to claim:

"And as all things were produced by the word of one being"

Like any legend, sometimes the exact origins are hard to trace. This seems to be especially prevalent in the case of the hermetic writings. It is believed to be written by several scribes to Thoth, these writers range in claim from Enoch to Moses, but we still do not know who for sure wrote these pages.

*edited for content - copy/paste
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 08:58 AM
RE: Christians: A foreshadowing of the Bible
The Bible's contents claim to go way back, but it's concluded that it may have been put together during the 500s-200s BC.

Now while the Corpus Hermeticum likewise claims to go way back, it's actually more recent than the Bible, at least according to scholarly conclusion, and I think it dates to the Roman period after Christ, the first centuries AD or so. I may be mistaken here.

As a result, even if the Bible was itself not an original work, I don't think it was preceded by Hermetic writings. So if there are strict similarities, it may be the other way around: the Corpus Hermeticum may have borrowed from the Bible. I for certain am not sufficiently acquainted with Hermetic material to judge here, but if one borrowed from the other, I don't think the Bible borrowed from Hermeticism.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
08-12-2013, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 09:29 AM by AConsciousSpecies.)
(08-12-2013 08:58 AM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  The Bible's contents claim to go way back, but it's concluded that it may have been put together during the 500s-200s BC.

Now while the Corpus Hermeticum likewise claims to go way back, it's actually more recent than the Bible, at least according to scholarly conclusion, and I think it dates to the Roman period after Christ, the first centuries AD or so. I may be mistaken here.

As a result, even if the Bible was itself not an original work, I don't think it was preceded by Hermetic writings. So if there are strict similarities, it may be the other way around: the Corpus Hermeticum may have borrowed from the Bible. I for certain am not sufficiently acquainted with Hermetic material to judge here, but if one borrowed from the other, I don't think the Bible borrowed from Hermeticism.

Your knowledge is very good, however the hermeticum dates to the early 200 A.D. and yes, is written after the old testament.

HOWEVER, it does predate the new testament by 300 years, that is what I was refering too, sorry I should have been more precise

The new testament and the founding of the church is what I meant, thanks Smile
Sorry, 300 A.D.
08-12-2013, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 11:21 AM by shiverleaf15.)
Though the NT was put together officially around the 300s, the majority of its contents were already accepted by mainstream Christianity as authentic by the 160s AD, as evidenced from Justin Martyr, for example.

That's not to mention the fact that none of the current books of the New Testament really date to any time beyond the end of the 2nd century from what I'm aware, according to scholarly consensus I mean.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
08-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Often we put too much merit into commonalities. Harry Potter is an original work, but it contains common themes of morality. Just because the principles being taught predate the New Testament does not make the message any less divine. From my perspective, if we assume the Bible to be the word of God, it would seem necessary for these themes to have been around since the time man could write because God would have taught the same principles all the way long.
01-06-2014, 04:55 PM
It's doubtful that Hermes predated anything other than the New Testament and perhaps a few books in the OT written very late in Israel's history.

Try this:

Google "Shebaka Stone". It has a similar claim as yours, but linguists have now concluded that the stone itself (written about 400 BC) is a direct copy of an original scroll dating to about 2800 BC and written in a 2800 BC dialect.

The story on the stone is the Egyptian version of creation, from a single deity, Ptah, and how that deity spoke creation into existence. Archaeologists call it "the Egyptian Logos".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Don't the contradictions in the bible bother Christians? GodlessGirl 133 8,779 03-16-2013 07:24 AM
Last Post: Edward

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)