Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Confirmation
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2010 10:23 PM by camycam178.)
Confirmation
Hi. I have been browsing this forums for a long time, learning peoples point of views on religion, trying to learn, etc. Today I made an account because I need help with an issue, an issue with my faith.
I have been brought up in the catholic faith, and have been taught what I should believe my whole life. When I started to explore other religions a year ago, reading the holy books of other faiths, I started to question my own. Soon, I am to be confirmed in front of a bishop, and I do not know what to do. I know that I do not believe in all the aspects of the curch, and that there are many things I disagree with, such as women not being permited to be priests, and the belief that evelution did not happpen (I think God could have used it as a tool, if anything.)
I have to get up in front of the bishop and basicly confirm I believe in all aspects of the catholic church, wich I am not sure i am able to do. I have talked to my parents, and they said that it is my decision whether to be confirmed or not, but they think that I should be confirmed. They say that if I ever meet a catholic girl, and want to marry her, it would be hard if I wasn't a member of the church, and getting confirmed then would be difficult at that point in time. Any help you can give would be appreciated, thank you for your time.

P.S. Sorry about the bad grammar and spelling mistakes, I am only thirteen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
RE: Confirmation
As a thirteen year old, you should first talk to your parents. But assuming they were being sincere when they said it was your decision...

First, I think the Catholics accept the possibility of evolution now, don't they? That said, if you aren't sure, then wait. Do some study. I am sure you can find a local group that is studying Catholic dogma that can help you learn more. I am not Catholic, but if I understand correctly it's not so much of a problem if you are confirmed at 14, or 15 rather than 13, is it?

I would encourage you to learn more. The Catholic church does a good job (nowadays at least) in not directly contradicting science, so I wouldn't worry about the evolution bit so much. But there is question of gender equality, plus questions of the morality of the Christian faith in general, and whether or not it is even reasonable to believe in god.

Trying not to sound condescending here, but you are 13. You are looking at questions that men much older have devoted their entire lives to without any solid answer. I was a fanatical believer in fundamentalist baptist teaching until I was 19. As long as your parents are understanding of your situation, I would suggest holding off for a little while, and learning more until you are certain of your faith, or lack thereof.

The fact that you are questioning these things at your age is a good sign, it shows that you are thinking. Your questions are not wrong, sinful, or anything else bad. Questions are always good. Look for the answers, and then make a decision.

Obviously, being an atheist myself, I think that there is no god, but as long as your prime motivation is finding the truth, rather than following a particular belief, then any conclusion you reach will be based on the truth as best you can understand it. And that is a very good thing.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-11-2010, 03:23 AM
GT SENG , what is the very basics of atheist beliefs . what you dont and do belive in , cheers . CC178 , sounds like you are being pushed into religion , at the end of the day it's up to you whether you are a belever of religion or not . you dont have to be a religose person . p.s sorry about the bad grammer and spelling i am nearly 40 .
01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
There are no basic atheist beliefs. Atheism is not a religion, it's only a label for people who do not believe in a religion. There is no atheist church, no atheist dogma, no atheist creed. We are united only in the sense that we all do not believe in any sort of deity.

In my opinion the best atheists (not in a moral sense but in a sound position sense) are the ones who reject god because he is unreasonable and illogical, because these are the atheists that tend to use the most reason in their arguments, and I believe that truth is best approached through reason, but this is not always the case.

Ultimately I think that all things, including god and religion, must be approached in a rational, thinking manner. More information is always good. Logical thought processes are always good. And I have found that the concept of god does not stand up to these methods. Rather than reject these methods and believe that god must be the exception that is approached through blind faith, I have determined that the concept of god is no different from any other concept, and thus should be rejected if there is no evidence for it.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-12-2010, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2010 09:51 AM by Parousia.)
(01-10-2010 10:21 PM)camycam178 Wrote:  Hi. I have been browsing this forums for a long time, learning peoples point of views on religion, trying to learn, etc. Today I made an account because I need help with an issue, an issue with my faith.
I have been brought up in the catholic faith, and have been taught what I should believe my whole life. When I started to explore other religions a year ago, reading the holy books of other faiths, I started to question my own. Soon, I am to be confirmed in front of a bishop, and I do not know what to do. I know that I do not believe in all the aspects of the curch, and that there are many things I disagree with, such as women not being permited to be priests, and the belief that evelution did not happpen (I think God could have used it as a tool, if anything.)
I have to get up in front of the bishop and basicly confirm I believe in all aspects of the catholic church, wich I am not sure i am able to do. I have talked to my parents, and they said that it is my decision whether to be confirmed or not, but they think that I should be confirmed. They say that if I ever meet a catholic girl, and want to marry her, it would be hard if I wasn't a member of the church, and getting confirmed then would be difficult at that point in time. Any help you can give would be appreciated, thank you for your time.

P.S. Sorry about the bad grammar and spelling mistakes, I am only thirteen.

Hi. Smile Sorry I did not get to welcome you earlier.

I was raised Roman Catholic and I think I can help you. If your only major problems with Catholic beliefs are the two you mentioned, you are home free.

"women not being permited to be priests,"

This is NOT an article of faith. It has never been stated ex cathedra. It could theoretically be changed in the future. (Don't hold your breath though.) You are free to hold your opinion about women becoming priests.

"and the belief that evolution did not happen "

The Catholic Church has never opposed evolution. Even back when I went to school (does the name Eisenhower mean anything to you? Wink ) evolution was being taught in Science classes in Catholic school. The only proviso was that the soul of man was a special act of creation.

I don't know what other problems with Catholicism you may have, but they may not be moral obstacles to being Confirmed any more that these two are. I suggest you defer your decision about being or not being a Catholic until you are older.
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
(01-10-2010 10:21 PM)camycam178 Wrote:  ... I have to get up in front of the bishop and basicly confirm I believe in all aspects of the catholic church, wich I am not sure i am able to do...getting confirmed then would be difficult at that point in time...

As a teenager, I found myself in pretty much the same situation as you describe (from the Protestant side, however). Since I wasn't a believer at the time, I let everyone know that. It caused some pain to my parents, and it probably was part of the reason that some of my parent's acquaintances refused to let their daughers date me--but everything turned out well in time. I found faith later on in life, and there was no problem with confirmation & baptism.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
(01-12-2010 01:30 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  
(01-10-2010 10:21 PM)camycam178 Wrote:  ... I have to get up in front of the bishop and basicly confirm I believe in all aspects of the catholic church, wich I am not sure i am able to do...getting confirmed then would be difficult at that point in time...

As a teenager, I found myself in pretty much the same situation as you describe (from the Protestant side, however). Since I wasn't a believer at the time, I let everyone know that. It caused some pain to my parents, and it probably was part of the reason that some of my parent's acquaintances refused to let their daughers date me--but everything turned out well in time. I found faith later on in life, and there was no problem with confirmation & baptism.

Hi Stereo! Glad to see you posting again! Smile
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
(01-12-2010 01:45 PM)Parousia Wrote:  ...you posting again!...

Had I but world enough and time, my posting lacunae were no crime...but at my back I always hear my twin boys' tricycles hurrying near...

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)