Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Conversion Question
06-16-2017, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2017 04:57 AM by taykair.)
Conversion Question
In my life, I've encountered many young people who have rejected Christianity (the faith they were bought up by their parents to believe), only to embrace "alien" belief systems such as Buddhism. After talking with them but a few moments, it becomes clear to me why they have done so. Which leads me to wonder...

Are there many young people in Tibet who reject Buddhism for Christianity just to piss off Mommy and Daddy, or is this just a Western phenomenon?

(By the way, it's not just Buddhism. I can't tell you how many times a youngster has said "namaste" to me. It would tickle me to death if the literal meaning of "namaste" were really "up yours, buddy".)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2017, 07:59 AM
RE: Conversion Question
[Image: tumblr_opos18h9T81seffqvo1_540.jpg]

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
06-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Ha, ha, ha! I LOVE IT! Teen rebellion is indeed universal! Thank you for that. It made my day.
06-18-2017, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 01:26 AM by arthra.)
(06-16-2017 04:51 AM)taykair Wrote:  In my life, I've encountered many young people who have rejected Christianity (the faith they were bought up by their parents to believe), only to embrace "alien" belief systems such as Buddhism. After talking with them but a few moments, it becomes clear to me why they have done so. Which leads me to wonder...

Are there many young people in Tibet who reject Buddhism for Christianity just to piss off Mommy and Daddy, or is this just a Western phenomenon?

(By the way, it's not just Buddhism. I can't tell you how many times a youngster has said "namaste" to me. It would tickle me to death if the literal meaning of "namaste" were really "up yours, buddy".)

Well in response to your last reference to 'Namaste" I will offer you the definition and I'm pretty sure this is an accurate one..

Translated roughly, it means "I bow to the God within you", or "The Spirit within me salutes the Spirit in you"

We often used "Namaste" to greet one another in our Yoga class and in deference to the teacher of the class a Hindu lady I always offer her "Namaste" no matter where we are.. and she returns it!

When I greet my teacher my palms are together over my heart chakra ..

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."
06-18-2017, 02:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 02:17 AM by taykair.)
Thanks, arthra. I was aware (or at least as aware as any Westerner could be) of the meaning of the word. It's just that many who say it do so just because they want others to notice how "spiritual" they are, and have no clue what the word means. They could be using the word for "horse dung" for all they know, and still feel very self-satisfied.

By the way, has anyone noticed that if a person stands up and says "That which a man soweth, that shall he also reap", then such a one is considered by many to be a Bible-thumping, judgmental buffoon, but if that same person mutters the word "karma", he is considered, by those same people, to be righteous, holy and wise?
06-18-2017, 02:22 AM
I judge karma harder then bible qouting. One in its worste state is an appeal to a demonstrably false and often an actually harmful idea. The other may or may not be...
Depending on how you look at it, karma does imply that if someone is suffering miserably, its because they desearve it. This can and has lead to a philosophy of no action. Believing everything is fair naturally makes you not want to intervene. Pacifism in the face of atrocities is vile.

Bible qoating is really as good or bad as the specific qoute. It can be great sometimes. Terrible and terrifying at others.

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
06-19-2017, 09:33 AM
I was active in the Methodist Church in my teen years, but it was more of a 'culturally Christian' thing than religious; that's where all my school friends were and we more or less hijacked the choir and the band for our own entertainment. When I left home for the military, I left the church as well; even if I had told my parents I really don't think it would have been a big deal; my family wasn't overly 'religious' by any standard.

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
06-20-2017, 12:25 AM
(06-18-2017 02:22 AM)PeterPants Wrote:  Depending on how you look at it, karma does imply that if someone is suffering miserably, its because they desearve it. This can and has lead to a philosophy of no action. Believing everything is fair naturally makes you not want to intervene. Pacifism in the face of atrocities is vile.

Bible qoating is really as good or bad as the specific qoute. It can be great sometimes. Terrible and terrifying at others.

on the other hand, just to add to the confusion, being comforted in your suffering could be karma also.

Is karma fair? What if you repent your deeds, does it undo karma?

The question really is, is everything which happens karma, and does karma cause karma?
06-20-2017, 12:45 AM
The karma i was talking about, is the idea that there is a natural force in the world that makes everything even and fair naturally.
This idea is all encompassing, and has led to things like pure pacifism (a moral black hole)

less absolute ideas of karma are less bad.

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
06-20-2017, 05:38 AM
(06-20-2017 12:25 AM)Garden Rose Wrote:  Is karma fair? What if you repent your deeds, does it undo karma?

The question really is, is everything which happens karma, and does karma cause karma?
Within the Dharmic religions of the world the idea of karma reflects any intentional act that creates change which affects objectivity. This is why they strive for Egolessness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Conversion to a New Faith? Not so fast! Caesar Saladin 4 289 04-22-2017 11:31 PM
Last Post: arthra
  ★★ [4.3 SECOND conversion] ★★: CONVERT religious to atheist, in roughly 4.3 seconds. FactMan 283 9,757 01-27-2017 07:57 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)