Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Conversion to a New Faith? Not so fast!
04-20-2017, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 06:25 PM by Caesar Saladin.)
Conversion to a New Faith? Not so fast!
Ahh, it's time for the Hypothetical Question Game!!

Q: If I were a 'blank slate' of religious knowledge (knowing virtually nothing about individual religions at all) and was, for some reason, desiring to convert to one of the world's religions (for argument's sake, let's say it's Christianity I'm interested in) what form of Christianity should I convert to in order to maximize my chances of 'salvation'? Catholic? Protestant? Baptist, Methodist, Jehovah's Witness, join a monastery- what? I'm open to all suggestions, but give me three reasons why your suggestion is the 'right' way to go, please.

The ground rules are the aforementioned three reasons in favor of your suggestion, and the additional rule that there will be no argument between posters making suggestions. If you disagree with another poster's suggestion/reasons, feel free to take it up with them directly in PM- not in this thread. Thank you.

(Note that this sort of question applies to all religions- I'm not picking on Christianity here. You guys know I'm equal-opportunity on religion Big Grin)

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2017, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2017 04:54 AM by shiverleaf15.)
RE: Conversion to a New Faith? Not so fast!
To maximize your salvation, you probably want to join the hardest, most exclusive sect, since maybe in the others, God's a little more merciful, and may save you even as a non-believer...

Most Protestant groups consider you saved if you have faith in Christ as a good orthodox Protestant even if not a member of their faith (Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc). Catholics would like it if you got baptized and it turns out they accept non-Catholic baptisms too. And besides their theology allows for things like Purgatory and Limbo so if you're virtuous there's no way you're going to true damnation. We Mormons have even kinder prospects for you: you can accept our gospel after your dead, and if you're good you have a good shot at the best Heaven. And even if you were a bad person, so long as you didn't commit the unforgivable sin, you'd get an afterlife better than anything on Earth (though you might suffer for your sins til they're purged).

So the answer is pretty obvious in my opinion. Go join the Westboro Baptist Church Big Grin

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
04-21-2017, 10:08 AM
(04-21-2017 04:46 AM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  So the answer is pretty obvious in my opinion. Go join the Westboro Baptist Church Big Grin

Man oh man- you NAILED it! Just the answer I was looking for! Big Grin

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
04-22-2017, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 05:04 PM by Splendor.)
1. I'd never join a Christian denomination that'd involve me going door to door preaching my beliefs; I just don't quite make the grade of being a beautiful enough angel in training. I'll gladly open my door for the Mormon missionaries who are at least an 8, on a scale of 1-10 Smile; I won't open my door for those nasty looking JW's ,who rank 4 at best. Sad

2. I'd join a Church that is very open about its finances. I'd want to belong to a Church whose members are only expected by the Church to financially contribute just enough funding for paying the Church's overhead expenses and pay its top clergyman less than the national median income. Nobody should get rich off of tithing!

3. In Heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here (right here!); and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all our beer. I enjoy drinking beer; so I couldn't belong to a religion that forbids alcohol. Big Grin

I'd consider converting to southern Presbyterianism; although, I'd hesitate, because Presbyterianism is such a long word to spell. Big Grin

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts" - William Shakespeare
04-22-2017, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 11:32 PM by arthra.)
Caesar wrote:

If I were a 'blank slate' of religious knowledge (knowing virtually nothing about individual religions at all) and was, for some reason, desiring to convert to one of the world's religions (for argument's sake, let's say it's Christianity I'm interested in) what form of Christianity should I convert to in order to maximize my chances of 'salvation'?

By asking about your "chances of salvation" you are in my view asking a question that is essentially "Christian" and then asking "what form of Christianity".

Converting to a new Faith could be for several reasons depending... You have have been searching over a long time and asking for confirmations and insight from meditations and prayers you have offered for guidance, etc.

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Conversion Question taykair 23 589 06-20-2017 10:07 AM
Last Post: IMtM
  ★★ [4.3 SECOND conversion] ★★: CONVERT religious to atheist, in roughly 4.3 seconds. FactMan 283 9,579 01-27-2017 07:57 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  Faith without works and proof is false faith. Greatest I am 8 2,020 12-10-2012 01:26 PM
Last Post: Rev. Stein
  Is faith in fiction good faith? Miracles. Greatest I am 27 4,526 10-31-2010 10:24 PM
Last Post: biomystic
  Jesus’ test for faith. Have you tested your faith? Greatest I am 0 3,692 05-31-2010 05:07 PM
Last Post: Greatest I am

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)