Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cover up your excrement
04-09-2010, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2010 02:10 AM by Anthem.)
Cover up your excrement
I’m suffering from what I believe to be an allergy attack, and have been up coughing tonight. So I have decided to share some of the thoughts that have been occupying my mind while I can’t sleep.
My mother has written a book about some of her life experiences, and it is clear how many things have changed exponentially over her lifetime. One of the things she mentioned was that for much of her younger life they had to go outhouse or the woods when nature called. Even after she was married and had children she still lived in some houses that didn’t have an inside bathroom.

She called me a couple days ago and asked me to read; Deuteronomy 23:12-14

12 Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. 13 As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. 14 For the LORD your God moves about in your camp to protect you and to deliver your enemies to you. Your camp must be holy, so that he will not see among you anything indecent and turn away from you. (Today's New International Version)

So tonight I have been thinking about how important it is for us to keep our lives clean, because our God walks in the midst of our camp. It is so important that we acknowledge Him, and live our lives as though we believe He exists and sees what we are doing.
That scripture is a reminder to me of how important it is to keep my camp clean. The tool I use to bury my waste is prayer. Pardon my expression, but there is a lot of crap buried beneath the cross of Christ. I don’t kid myself; I know how unclean I would be without the cross. Jesus is my hope.

My cough is much better now, so I will go see if I can get some sleep. With all that stuff buried and my cough quieted, I should be able to rest now. Good night all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2010, 01:03 PM
RE: Cover up your excrement
Real Christians use outhouses.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
04-10-2010, 09:22 PM
(04-09-2010 01:03 PM)karma_sleeper Wrote:  Real Christians use outhouses.

I don't use an outhouse, but I know what it means to keep my house clean. Real Christians know what it means to fear God. Because we fear God we are more likely to keep our house clean. Some of us forget that God is watching, and sometimes we have to ask forgiveness for our messes. Real Christians realize our need for Christ, because we realize that we are all sinners.
04-10-2010, 11:22 PM
You "FEAR" god, is that why you are a good little boy/girl/whatever, because you "FEAR" god.
Do you think this is a healthy relationship.
Brutal fearful master---submissive cowering slave Cool

????????????????
04-10-2010, 11:43 PM
How can you fear something yet love it so perfectly? How can something be so fearful yet so loving? It's interesting you use prayer to bury your waste, a shovel would be far more practical. But while we are on the subject of prayer -- and I plan to open a post about it -- what is the point of praying? Surely the omniscient creator of the Universe 'knows' what you want already, so what do you expect to gain from it? Secondly, since God already knows, by definition, everything now and everything that ever will or is, are you not defying God's will in the act of prayer? Usually when you pray you are 'asking' for something. Could it really be that you are not satisfied with the plan God has laid before you? How dare you question his will; especially since you're so afraid of him. Do you really want to feel his wraith? By praying you are insinuating you can do better! That is very very naughty.

Oh, and if I never had a shovel, I would probably just cover my excrement with a book.

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake
04-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Anthem, I think keeping our lives clean is an excellent goal. I'm glad that suggestion from your mother has inspired you.

I have inspirational quotes and Buddhist guidelines on my fridge to serve as reminders. (I also have the Bill of Rights up there too, but that's because I'm a dork.)
04-11-2010, 12:38 AM
(04-10-2010 11:43 PM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  But while we are on the subject of prayer -- and I plan to open a post about it -- what is the point of praying? Surely the omniscient creator of the Universe 'knows' what you want already, so what do you expect to gain from it? Secondly, since God already knows, by definition, everything now and everything that ever will or is, are you not defying God's will in the act of prayer? Usually when you pray you are 'asking' for something. Could it really be that you are not satisfied with the plan God has laid before you? How dare you question his will; especially since you're so afraid of him. Do you really want to feel his wraith? By praying you are insinuating you can do better! That is very very naughty.

If you're interested, this is a thread already on almost the exact subject you have in mind.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
04-11-2010, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2010 05:01 AM by Anthem.)
(04-10-2010 11:22 PM)kevlar Wrote:  You "FEAR" god, is that why you are a good little boy/girl/whatever, because you "FEAR" god.
Do you think this is a healthy relationship.

Yes I do fear God, and try to be a good little boy. All children are pretty much the same. We don’t do some things only because of the consequences we know will come if we disobey our parents, or the powers that be. I noticed this week that most people have a healthy fear of getting speeding tickets, so they watch their speed. Yet there are those people who will still risk it all in order to save only a few seconds. The majority of people understand what it means to have a healthy fear of laws that have our best interests in mind. That kind of fear is healthy and good, for all children like me. Can you imagine what might happen to you if you never learned to fear anything? Some fear is very good for us.
I don’t walk around in fear that God is going to slap me every time I make a mistake. The fear I have for God is the same kind of fear that any child should have for a parent that loves them, and teaches them to avoid things that might hurt them. If you love your children you will teach them many dangers to avoid, and sometimes you will use consequences to enforce your rules.
(04-10-2010 11:43 PM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  How can you fear something yet love it so perfectly? How can something be so fearful yet so loving?

Ask that question to a child who knows they had better obey their parents. Even though they know they love them and only want to protect them from danger, they still have a healthy fear of their parents.
How can a parent be so fearful and yet so loving? I know, don't you.

(04-10-2010 11:43 PM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  It's interesting you use prayer to bury your waste, a shovel would be far more practical.
I’m sure you know I was using prayer as a metaphor in that statement. My faith in God causes me a sinner to bury my sin at the foot of the cross of Christ.

(04-10-2010 11:43 PM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  But while we are on the subject of prayer -- and I plan to open a post about it -- what is the point of praying? Surely the omniscient creator of the Universe 'knows' what you want already, so what do you expect to gain from it?
Why would any parent want their children to acknowledge them by asking for things they already know their children need?

(04-10-2010 11:43 PM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  Secondly, since God already knows, by definition, everything now and everything that ever will or is, are you not defying God's will in the act of prayer? Usually when you pray you are 'asking' for something. Could it really be that you are not satisfied with the plan God has laid before you? How dare you question his will; especially since you're so afraid of him. Do you really want to feel his wraith? By praying you are insinuating you can do better! That is very very naughty.
Are our children defying our desires for their lives when they ask us for things? Praying is talking to God. When we talk to God we acknowledge that He exists.

(04-10-2010 11:43 PM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  Oh, and if I never had a shovel, I would probably just cover my excrement with a book.
As a matter of fact, 100 years ago most people were still using corn cobs or leaves to wipe with after they relieved themselves. I think it was in 1893 when Sears, Roebuck and Co. came into existence and and soon started printing their catalog. Many people found that the pages of that book worked very well for the purpose of wiping, and was a good read while using the outhouse, or even a trip to the woods.
(04-11-2010 12:01 AM)Anne Wrote:  Anthem, I think keeping our lives clean is an excellent goal. I'm glad that suggestion from your mother has inspired you.

I have inspirational quotes and Buddhist guidelines on my fridge to serve as reminders. (I also have the Bill of Rights up there too, but that's because I'm a dork.)

It is good to remember things that can make our lives better. Notes on the fridge are a very good way to do that in my opinion.
(04-11-2010 12:38 AM)Annolennar Wrote:  
(04-10-2010 11:43 PM)Secular Hobbit Wrote:  But while we are on the subject of prayer -- and I plan to open a post about it -- what is the point of praying? Surely the omniscient creator of the Universe 'knows' what you want already, so what do you expect to gain from it? Secondly, since God already knows, by definition, everything now and everything that ever will or is, are you not defying God's will in the act of prayer? Usually when you pray you are 'asking' for something. Could it really be that you are not satisfied with the plan God has laid before you? How dare you question his will; especially since you're so afraid of him. Do you really want to feel his wraith? By praying you are insinuating you can do better! That is very very naughty.

If you're interested, this is a thread already on almost the exact subject you have in mind.

Actually when I pray I am only acknowledging that I know God exists. When I pray I am just talking to God much the same way I would talk to you. But sometimes I do ask Him for things in much the same way my children ask me for things. Sometimes He gives me what I ask for and sometimes He doesn't. Exactly the same as it is with my relationship with my children. He knows what is good for me better than I do, but my knowing that doesn’t stop me from asking.
04-11-2010, 05:03 AM
In the immortal words of John P McEnroe
YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS
My children don't fear me and never have. My children are now 30+yrs. You must have serious issues, if those statements are really your worldview. The first among them may be considered child abuse. Perhaps the second is your inability to grow up, if you are, as you state, still a child.
You cannot possibly have children.........such a concept fills me with fear.............fear for your children.
I think your children are in very real danger.

????????????????
04-11-2010, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2010 05:28 AM by Anthem.)
(04-11-2010 05:03 AM)kevlar Wrote:  In the immortal words of John P McEnroe
YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS
My children don't fear me and never have. My children are now 30+yrs. You must have serious issues, if those statements are really your worldview. The first among them may be considered child abuse. Perhaps the second is your inability to grow up, if you are, as you state, still a child.
You cannot possibly have children.........such a concept fills me with fear.............fear for your children.
I think your children are in very real danger.

If you tell your children to do something, are they not afraid to defy what you ask them to do? They should be. Yet they should know that you love them and have their best interest at heart. You should use consequences when they refuse to obey, but they should be at rest in your presence because they know you love them.
That is a good example of my relationship with God. The fear I have for Him is that of a child for a parent he knows loves him. I know God loves me, and I love knowing He is always with me. There are a lot of things I don’t do because I realize He sees and would disapprove. I also fear the consequences that come from doing things that can hurt me.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)