Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Creation
05-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Creation
I'm interested in understanding how Hindu's view creation. I have been reading up and it appears that there are several differant teachings. Three main schools of thought I believe. I was wondering if anyone could maybe explain them in simple terms for me! The Hindu relgion fascinates me. I understand that the word Hindu is really a description of many religions, but I would like to compare the various ideas, religiously, on creation. Thank you for your time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2009, 10:48 PM
RE: Creation
From what I understand (and I am not a Hindu, though I share you fascination with the religion(s) ) the different creation stories of Hinduism are all different allegorical takes on the origin of mankind.
The 'primal sound,' Aum, always plays a key role, and represents the power of language and names in the human consciousness.
Creative deities (usually Brahma in Hindu mythology) are necessary, representing that unknown spark of creation.
At times in Hindu creation stories, Brahma is not viewed as being the supreme (in fact, most don't believe he is). Devotees of Shiva and Vishnu often place their deities in the story before Brahma. Shaivites believe that sacrifice is required for creation, and that therefore, the destructive deity must preceed the creative one. Vaishnavites believe that order must fuel creation (it's hard to paint a picture in the middle of a firefight), so they place Vishnu in the role of Primal Being.

Most Hindu mythology is very mystical, having a far deeper meaning than the simple words imply. I have found that reading the creation stories hold the most value if one reads them allegorically. This approach is common in older polytheistic religions, and is probably the reason why one does not hear much of inter-Hindu religious wars. They view the creation stories and mythologies of other Hindu cults as equally valid, albeit different, approaches to the truth.

Hope that helps a little,

Mikha'El.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)