Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Creation
05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Creation
I'm trying to understand the various religious teachings on creation. I'm struggling to find what the Jewish teaching on this would be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2009, 11:36 PM
RE: Creation
Ah, see, this one I can actually answer. The official explanation is in the book of Genesis, chapters 1-3.

God creates the universe in six days. First light and dark, then the sky, then land, then the sun moon, moon, and stars, then birds and fishes, then land animals and man. On the seventh day, he saw everything was good, and he rested. Later on he made woman from man's rib.

Depending on how literal you are, you either accept that fully literally, or you fudge it a bit.

Now, what's REALLY fun is when you get into the stuff that's not official. Then you get great stories like Adam's three wives. First God makes Lilith from the dust, like Adam (some stories say joined to Adam at the back, then split.) But Lilith gets all uppity and wants to be treated as man's equal, since she was made with man. Adam complained, and God cursed her and kicked her out (she would later become the mother of monsters.) Then God creates another wife for Adam, but he does it in front of him, and he's so grossed out by the creation that he refuses to have anything to do with her. So finally God puts Adam to sleep, and takes out a rib and makes Eve.

There's a lot of interesting mythological and apocryphal sources that expand on the Genesis story, but the six-day-one-day-rest story is the official one from the Torah.
05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
(05-04-2009 11:36 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Ah, see, this one I can actually answer. The official explanation is in the book of Genesis, chapters 1-3.

God creates the universe in six days. First light and dark, then the sky, then land, then the sun moon, moon, and stars, then birds and fishes, then land animals and man. On the seventh day, he saw everything was good, and he rested. Later on he made woman from man's rib.

Depending on how literal you are, you either accept that fully literally, or you fudge it a bit.

Now, what's REALLY fun is when you get into the stuff that's not official. Then you get great stories like Adam's three wives. First God makes Lilith from the dust, like Adam (some stories say joined to Adam at the back, then split.) But Lilith gets all uppity and wants to be treated as man's equal, since she was made with man. Adam complained, and God cursed her and kicked her out (she would later become the mother of monsters.) Then God creates another wife for Adam...

There's a lot of interesting mythological and apocryphal sources that expand on the Genesis story, but the six-day-one-day-rest story is the official one from the Torah.
I've never heard of Adam's second wife. Did she ever get a name?
05-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Not in any of the stories I've read of her, but I haven't read all the old Jewish legends. I have, however, heard of attempts to link Lillith/The Second Wife/Eve with the three fates, the second wife then being The Crone, Lilith the Maiden, and Eve the Mother. They have various names depending on which mythical set you're reading.
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Are they in the Jewish Scripture or just their legends? I have a Jewish Bible. This "Second Wife" is starting to interest me.
05-06-2009, 07:38 PM
No, in the Bible it's just Eve. Lilith and the second wife are only found in the apocryphal books.
05-24-2009, 03:12 PM
(05-04-2009 04:39 PM)devine1001uk Wrote:  I'm trying to understand the various religious teachings on creation. I'm struggling to find what the Jewish teaching on this would be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment...635192.ece

The writer is Britain's Chief Rabbi. I find it hard to avoid the impression that Judaism is less given to fundamentalism than is Christianity.
05-29-2009, 06:52 PM
(05-04-2009 04:39 PM)devine1001uk Wrote:  I'm trying to understand the various religious teachings on creation. I'm struggling to find what the Jewish teaching on this would be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Well, you have Orthodox Judaism, Conservative Judaism, and Reformed Judaism. The Orthodox tend more toward a literal six-day creation; Reformed are the liberal wing, which tends more toward theistic evolution; and the Conservatives will differ among themselves--some taking a rather literal view, and others holding various degrees of theistic evolution, progressive creation, and/or some sort of Intelligent Design component.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
05-30-2009, 06:21 PM
(05-29-2009 06:52 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  

Well, you have Orthodox Judaism, Conservative Judaism, and Reformed Judaism. The Orthodox tend more toward a literal six-day creation; Reformed are the liberal wing, which tends more toward theistic evolution; and the Conservatives will differ among themselves--some taking a rather literal view, and others holding various degrees of theistic evolution, progressive creation, and/or some sort of Intelligent Design component.

Well Jonathan Sachs would probably think of himself as belonging to the Orthodox wing, and Robert Winston certainly would, but neither of them are literalists.
06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
(05-30-2009 06:21 PM)Anglican Wrote:  ...Well Jonathan Sachs would probably think of himself as belonging to the Orthodox wing, and Robert Winston certainly would, but neither of them are literalists.

Certainly there are sub-categories and individual exceptions and so forth. And then there's always the possibility that one might drift away from the traditions in which one was raised. Good point.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)