Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Culture and Religion
05-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Culture and Religion
Is there such a thing as a truly multi-cultural (or acultural) religion? Why or why not?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
RE: Culture and Religion
(05-25-2010 05:19 PM)malleus Wrote:  Is there such a thing as a truly multi-cultural (or acultural) religion? Why or why not?

What exactly do you mean? I think I know where you're going with this, but a little more detail could help.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
Find all posts by this user
05-25-2010, 10:14 PM
05-25-2010, 10:37 PM
(05-25-2010 10:14 PM)prdamico Wrote:  INDIVIDUALS create SPIRITUALITY

NATIONS create RELIGIONS

Or do religions create nations?

I agree that there is a big difference between individual spirituality (which I think is truly beautiful and -- for lack of a better word -- sacred thing) and communal religion (which is, in my opinion, an often-revolting perversion of spirituality), but we cannot deny the link between the two. Religion has to come from somewhere.

OP, you're going to have to be more specific with your question before I can really answer it.
05-25-2010, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2010 10:44 PM by prdamico.)
(05-25-2010 10:37 PM)Geoffrey Taucer Wrote:  
(05-25-2010 10:14 PM)prdamico Wrote:  INDIVIDUALS create SPIRITUALITY

NATIONS create RELIGIONS
I agree that there is a big difference between individual spirituality (which I think is truly beautiful and -- for lack of a better word -- sacred thing) and communal religion (which is, in my opinion, an often-revolting perversion of spirituality), but we cannot deny the link between the two. Religion has to come from somewhere.

Or do religions create nations?

Either way does not really matter, whether Nations or Religions come first, I AGREE with you 100% that ONE MAN/WOMAN alone meditating will get CLOSER to any GOD, then any communal Religion will ever hope to....

but it is kind of IMPOSSIBLE for someone separated from culture to influence or be influenced by any culture...but to do this, you basically have to go off and live in a cave...Which A LOT have done over the years....

:-)
05-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Ok, clarification. If you take the world religions, particularly those that actively "evangelize", their adherents would likely claim that their religion is multi-cultural. They may cite statistics about membership diversity, worshipers all over the globe, but are they really? Just wondering what others think. Smile
05-26-2010, 09:49 AM
(05-26-2010 04:59 AM)malleus Wrote:  Ok, clarification. If you take the world religions, particularly those that actively "evangelize", their adherents would likely claim that their religion is multi-cultural. They may cite statistics about membership diversity, worshipers all over the globe, but are they really? Just wondering what others think. Smile

SURE people from ALL sorts of Cultures are professed Christians for example, the same with most large organized religions..

With today's technology, travel, the news, internet,

it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to be culturally secluded...

SHEEP love to be around other SHEEP

it is natural

:-)
05-26-2010, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2010 11:41 AM by azurescen.)
Yea well....Life is no different than religion....in truth......and it is multi-cultural....hell its even multi-animal, even the devils here! lol

plants though....hmm....I think they are atheists still somehow. only true ones today though

lol...they want me to craft a physical heaven before they turn theist
05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
(05-26-2010 04:59 AM)malleus Wrote:  Ok, clarification. If you take the world religions, particularly those that actively "evangelize", their adherents would likely claim that their religion is multi-cultural. They may cite statistics about membership diversity, worshipers all over the globe, but are they really? Just wondering what others think. Smile

Okay, well I can approach from the opposite spectrum. Most people consider Vodou to be a purely "African" religion, one only practiced by the African diaspora, so when they meet me, the skinny white chick with an advanced degree, they tend to get confused. If I had a quarter for every time someone said "but don't you get tired serving African spirits?"

But the thing is, Vodou is multicultural -- Maman Brigitte is Irish, Madamoiselle Charlotte is French, Loko is Carib, Sousson-Pannan is Arawak, Lavana is hispanic -- I can go on. The thing about Vodou is that it evolves, new lwa are added and called in worship.

Now granted, we don't evangelize, so while Vodou is more widely practiced in areas of the African diaspora, it is definitely still multicultural.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
05-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Clementine,

Allow me to play devil's advocate for just a moment.

(05-26-2010 04:19 PM)Clementine Wrote:  If I had a quarter for every time someone said "but don't you get tired serving African spirits?"

Because the Semitic ones are much nicer, right? Wink

(05-26-2010 04:19 PM)Clementine Wrote:  But the thing is, Vodou is multicultural -- Maman Brigitte is Irish, Madamoiselle Charlotte is French, Loko is Carib, Sousson-Pannan is Arawak, Lavana is hispanic -- I can go on. The thing about Vodou is that it evolves, new lwa are added and called in worship.

And that is great. But the term "Iwa". What is its linguistic origin? How many terms common to the practice of vodou are from the same or similar language? How many elements of some of the rituals would make perfect sense to someone familiar with the history and culture of the African diaspora, but be completely lost on someone like myself? In order for me to understand, I would have to put myself in a new culture, one that is dominant for that particular religion, no?

For instance, Islam. If I were muslim, my street cred would go up substantially if I learned Arabic. Were I Roman Catholic, it would go up if I learned Latin and could navigate the western medieval philosophy of Thomas Aquinas. Were I buddhist or a practitioner of hatha yoga, learning Sanskrit.

It sounds like vodou is certainly more multi-cultural than most religions. But is it possible, in ANY religion, to adopt it without having to embrace some of the elements of the culture in which that particular religion arose? Not that doing that is a bad thing, I just wonder if it is possible - or if asking the question even really matters. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedophile Culture PopeADope 78 3,624 08-27-2016 04:40 PM
Last Post: Avun Jahei
  Can religion be separated from culture/ethnicity? Radical 76 9,314 07-20-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  The media's influence on todays culture Orion26 3 813 02-04-2013 06:18 AM
Last Post: trevor
  Religion and Pop Culture Aingeal 10 1,745 12-13-2010 05:48 PM
Last Post: biomystic
  A New, paradigm, a new culture of learning and growth in the Baha'i Community RonPrice 2 1,501 08-03-2009 07:14 PM
Last Post: RonPrice

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)