Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Deadliest Warrior
06-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Deadliest Warrior
Started watching the Deadliest Warrior show on Netflix, and would like to talk about it. 1st episode put the Apache Indians against a Roman Gladiator. The results ended with the Apache being the winner if the two got into a battle. I was ok with that result because the reasoning behind it made a lot of sense. Basically that the Apache would probably kill the Gladiator with a bow long before they got close. However, the 2nd episode, slightly confused me. It placed the Samurai against the Vikings. As I would have expected, the Samurai won, but what really confused me, was the comparing of weapons. They gave advantage of the great axe against the Katana. Basically saying that the Katana could not slice through the ring mail of the vikings. What they failed to mention though, was the design of the Katana as being one of the first swords ever, to have an armor piercing tip. So while it would not slice through the ring mail, it would still pierce it enough to kill, and with the speed of a katana over a great axe, the Samurai would be able to strike 4 or 5 times with the katana before the Viking got one good swing. Plus add the discipline to the speed, and there would be a good chance of the Samurai disarming the Viking of his Axe. Thoughts?

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
RE: Deadliest Warrior
My vote would be the samurai. No match, really.

Osho: "Enlightenment means being fully conscious, aware. Ordinarily we are not conscious and not aware. We are doing things either out of habit or out of biological instinct".
06-29-2011, 04:56 PM
How did a samurai attack with his sword? Based on what you have said regarding the results, the show must be assuming that the average samurai made no thrusting stabs but slashed and sliced, thus an armour piercing tip wouldn't get them far enough to disable a viking quickly. I guess it also matters what sort of armour a katana could pierce and what is the reach of one of those great axes? Perhaps a samurai's armour would have been useless against a great ax as well, and if a samurai is standing close enough to pierce for a killing blow perhaps the viking would take his head off at the same moment....I don't know.
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Vis, you are probably right, because most of the Samurai attacks were based on slashing...which against the ringmail, would not have been as successful. The problem I had though, as a collector of weapons...is the weight and limited use of a great axe, verse the light weight, and speed of the Katana. The katana is by far my most favorite weapon...not only because of its look, but because it was stronger then most other weapons, and the speed at which it could be used...A viking would be able to swing his great axe one time, and in that same amount of time, the Samurai would have been able to cut both arms, hamstring the viking and jab him through his ring mail at least twice. Just the weight alone in the weapons....I do not know, I might be my personal bias. No sword, except maybe the Ninja sword, which was based on the Katana, competes...and the axe...any axe...just no.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
I was thinking about whether that great ax would be double bladed - I didn't google an image of one, but even if a viking could swing one way and back the other direction you are right about how many more times a samurai could hit with a katana while the viking is still thinking about a second stroke/smash. Just not nearly as versatile, I agree.
06-30-2011, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2011 08:43 PM by ryuraijin.)
Well in my opinion, Deadliest Warrior is obsolete. How can you measure the skill of a warrior with only weapons? Should be called Deadliest Weapon.

Anyways, I have trained in Bushido, a martial art utilizing the Katana. We weren't allowed to attack until after our opponent attacked. (This made sparring impossible you see because the opponent has to attack first.
(06-30-2011 08:27 PM)ryuraijin Wrote:  Well in my opinion, Deadliest Warrior is obsolete. How can you measure the skill of a warrior with only weapons? Should be called Deadliest Weapon.

Anyways, I have trained in Bushido, a martial art utilizing the Katana. We weren't allowed to attack until after our opponent attacked. (This made sparring impossible you see because the opponent has to attack first.

After your opponent attacks, you block and do whatever you wanted to do.
06-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I would give it to the Samurai. More speed, discipline, and a better quality weapon.

My only issue with this show is that they try to make it seem very scientific when it really is rather arbitrary. Like you said with the Great Axe vs Katana, even after doing their tests it could still be argued both ways. Weapons with such different styles make it like comparing apples and oranges. That said, it's still a good show.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2011, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2011 12:10 AM by rocketboy9000.)
The most common Viking weapon was the spear, not a pole-axe. Besides, the Vikings (especially the Jarls who were the analogous class) had swords too, which despite their inferior craftsmanship, were made of much better steel than the Japanese had. Furthermore, their axes were normally not heavy, long polearms, but light axes for throwing at range. Finally, although the samurai had the advantage of the Yumi composite bow, the vikings carried large wooden shields, which could reduce the danger from arrows.
All put together, I think a viking would have a very good chance of besting a samurai.
07-03-2011, 10:03 AM
THE MIND
07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Unbelievable show, and not in a good way. I saw the episode where they set the IRA against Taliban guerrillas and was convinced that I'd gone insane.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)