Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Death Penalty?
07-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Death Penalty?
Before considering the following question, I invite you to read the story of 2-year-old Darisabel Baez.

Death Warrant Signed

Now, do you think the death penalty has positive effects on society, or does it vicariously create killers of us all?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: Death Penalty?
(07-19-2013 07:03 AM)IMtM Wrote:  Before considering the following question, I invite you to read the story of 2-year-old Darisabel Baez.

Death Warrant Signed

Now, do you think the death penalty has positive effects on society, or does it vicariously create killers of us all?

I feel there are times when then death penalty is needed and times when it isn't.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Penalties should be administered with the aim of ultimately correcting aberrations in a person's demeanor. Death penalty is not a penalty. A penalty ceases to be a penalty when it can no longer be experienced. With death, there is no penalty but only an end.
07-24-2013, 06:44 AM
(07-19-2013 01:46 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  I feel there are times when then death penalty is needed and times when it isn't.
So you believe that it is morally tenable to punish the heinous crime(s) of a human being by willfully terminating the life of said human being? You are of the mindset that killing is good in some instances?

Before you answer I really, really want you to read this link. It will put you in the right mindset, and also show you the difficulty I have in expressing my opinion that the death penalty is wrong.

http://www.ydr.com/opinion/ci_23713934/o...-your-fate

07-24-2013, 12:56 PM
(07-19-2013 01:46 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  I feel there are times when then death penalty is needed and times when it isn't.

Unfortunately, that's not how the law works. Open that door and you will not have total control of who goes through it.
07-24-2013, 01:36 PM
(07-24-2013 05:44 AM)KellyKep Wrote:  Death penalty is not a penalty.

A penalty is a punishment. Death, in sense of the death penalty, is the "revocation" of an individuals life when they demonstrate a complete lack of willingness to "live and let live," and go on killing sprees of their own. They willingly take life, and thus forfeit their own life.

I also do not believe there is a "proper mindset" that can or needs to be had pressed on readers. We have our opinions and they are bound to differ.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-24-2013, 01:50 PM
I can't seem to get the latest link (post #4) to work. I even tried hand-typing and going to the YDR site to search for it, and still, it won't load.

Can you give me a rundown of the link?

IMtM, what are your alternatives to the death penalty? At what point does a person become responsible for their actions, rather than blaming it on some life event they had?

What should happen to the Worst of the Worst, the violent, vicious, heinous criminals that will not rehab, have no desire to rehab or have such problems that they can't rehab?

I'm asking without rancor as I've always thought I knew where I stood on the death penalty, but as I age, my opinion changes.
07-25-2013, 05:40 AM
(07-24-2013 01:36 PM)Satyros Wrote:  
(07-24-2013 05:44 AM)KellyKep Wrote:  Death penalty is not a penalty.

A penalty is a punishment. Death, in sense of the death penalty, is the "revocation" of an individuals life when they demonstrate a complete lack of willingness to "live and let live," and go on killing sprees of their own. They willingly take life, and thus forfeit their own life.

I also do not believe there is a "proper mindset" that can or needs to be had pressed on readers. We have our opinions and they are bound to differ.
Punishments or penalties, find meaning in the living. How is it (death penalty) going to be a punishment if it cannot be experienced anymore? It is not a penalty. It is an end.
07-25-2013, 05:43 AM
(07-24-2013 01:36 PM)Satyros Wrote:  I also do not believe there is a "proper mindset" that can or needs to be had pressed on readers. We have our opinions and they are bound to differ.
You are correct, of course. I wrote that statement in a bit of an emotional moment. I apologize.

(07-24-2013 01:50 PM)Alison2 Wrote:  IMtM, what are your alternatives to the death penalty?
Prison.

Quote:At what point does a person become responsible for their actions, rather than blaming it on some life event they had?
You become responsible the moment you know what you are doing. A few years back there was a 15-year-old who shot a man in the back because the man would not turn over his phone to the kid. The man died from the wound. Months later they were trying to say that this kid shouldn't get life in prison because he was a minor and thereby did not possess the means to fully contemplate what he had done. That's a load of BS. Nobody put the gun in his hands, nobody pulled the trigger but him. That kid knew what he was doing and deserves the penalty he got.

Quote:What should happen to the Worst of the Worst, the violent, vicious, heinous criminals that will not rehab, have no desire to rehab or have such problems that they can't rehab?
Toss them in a cell and throw away the key. Let's say a man is convicted of a crime, sent to death row and executed. Five years later evidence appears which proves, without a doubt, that the man was innocent after all. In such a case, the system had failed, and if there even is the slightest chance of that happening--which most of us probably agree there is--then death, as an irreversible fate, should not be used as an outcome of that system. This is one instance where the "greater good" stance doesn't jive with me.

07-25-2013, 07:53 AM
(07-25-2013 05:40 AM)KellyKep Wrote:  Punishments or penalties, find meaning in the living. How is it (death penalty) going to be a punishment if it cannot be experienced anymore? It is not a penalty. It is an end.

I appreciate your point, Kelly but it's based on your own interpretation of the word, and rather a limited one. The traditional purposes of "punishment" in the law include effects aimed at those other than the punished, such as deterrence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Uganda...Death Penalty for Homosexuals kevlar 91 8,184 02-01-2011 10:48 AM
Last Post: ally.sidder

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)