Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Death of a Religion
08-01-2011, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2011 08:47 AM by georgeTmaxwell.)
Death of a Religion
Heard an interesting quote tonight which got me thinking.

The journalists were discussing how church attendances are falling overall even though some of the Pentecostal's are growing. They had an an Anglican priest talk about how they need to change.

And then one analyst said :

"Religions are constantly being born, why shouldn't they die?"

Interesting notion. I suppose it is where the Uniting Church (in Australia) came from - the amalgamation of dwindling churches.

gTm

The universe exists to think, know and experience.
@PaticleAnimism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2011, 07:42 AM
RE: Death oif a Religion
gTm edit the title please Smile

????????????????
Find all posts by this user
08-01-2011, 08:49 AM
RE: Death of a Religion
(08-01-2011 07:42 AM)kevlar Wrote:  gTm edit the title please Smile
Hahaha. Don't you know oif? Big Grin done.

The universe exists to think, know and experience.
@PaticleAnimism
08-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Hello,

I remember what the philosopher William Lane Craig said one time in his program about this matter. According to him churches which sacrifice large parts of their theology and become more of a weekend social club losing members at a drastic rate. If the sole reason why you go church is just to pray and meet nice people why bother and not just pray in the comfortableness of your own home. Furthermore he remarks that the membership of churches which see themselves fulfilling a greater role and also standing strong on their theology largely remain constant over the last years. I'm not from USA so I can't say to which degree this is correct, but it appears to me to be the same here in Germany. Churches which try way too much to just adopt to what they see as the postmodern age constantly talk about how they can attract more members and more importantly keep them while churches which present their belief more firmly don't experience such a great loss. I suppose the same is true for other religions. No matter if you believe their theology or not for me it is quite understandable that someone in the longrun gets much more attracted to religions which offer you a solid foundation rather than pure emotions. Emotions can carry you only so far after all.
08-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Religions can die, sure, but even the dead ones can rise from the grave (if I was Hombre I'd make a joke about them being hungry for brains, but I've got standards to maintain). Pagan reconstructionism and the New Age movement in the last century has shown us that religions that have been broken by persecution and oppression can be glued back together again and revived for people who want a change from the traditions they've been raised in.
08-01-2011, 10:56 AM
But then Pain the questions are raised. Is this a flaw in the human psyche? Is it a result of genetic memory, an ancient part of our development that continues today? Oh I don't know.

????????????????
08-01-2011, 11:54 AM
It's the Jew-Lizards, they use religion to keep us controlled.
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
I come from the one who sent me
whoops, I mean answers dont come from thinking,
Stop the voices ..............................need to dip my sword in the water ,no I mean I am the only one he talks to
I like firetrucks!!
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
When one religion ends, another will rise up and eventually end too.
08-01-2011, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2011 07:16 PM by Shimei.)
(08-01-2011 09:23 AM)Hamza Abdulhakim Wrote:  Hello,

I remember what the philosopher William Lane Craig said one time in his program about this matter. According to him churches which sacrifice large parts of their theology and become more of a weekend social club losing members at a drastic rate. If the sole reason why you go church is just to pray and meet nice people why bother and not just pray in the comfortableness of your own home. Furthermore he remarks that the membership of churches which see themselves fulfilling a greater role and also standing strong on their theology largely remain constant over the last years. I'm not from USA so I can't say to which degree this is correct, but it appears to me to be the same here in Germany. Churches which try way too much to just adopt to what they see as the postmodern age constantly talk about how they can attract more members and more importantly keep them while churches which present their belief more firmly don't experience such a great loss. I suppose the same is true for other religions. No matter if you believe their theology or not for me it is quite understandable that someone in the longrun gets much more attracted to religions which offer you a solid foundation rather than pure emotions. Emotions can carry you only so far after all.

Good point, perhaps it's that some churches are altering their doctrine in "fitting" in with cultural changes, and are finding that they have not based their teachings on sound principals and truth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fear of death and religion Clementine 38 6,356 05-03-2010 01:40 AM
Last Post: Venedi Sporoi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)