Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Deen [religion] in the presence of God
11-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Deen [religion] in the presence of God
Deen in the presence of God: Inclusive or exclusive?

By Shamsuddin Waheed

"Say: Will all of you teach God your religion? And God knows what is in the heavens, what is in the Earth, and his knowledgeable of everything" [Qur'an 49:16 ]

The above quotation is a very serious and important rhetorical question from the Almighty, one which we should always consider when we attempt to understand for ourselves the will of Allah and its function in our own lives and intellectual/spiritual components. God knows what exists in the entire creation, he is aware of who lives in the universe, and is best suited to judge his creation. That much is obvious, and is perhaps accepted by all Muslims as well as a number of Non-Muslims.

The Qur'an addresses the question of Deen in the presence of God in the following words:

" And whosoever desires a Deen that is not Islam [Ghayril Islaam] it will never be accepted from him, and he-in

the end- will be among the Losers" [ 3:85]

From this Quranic ayah , as well as other texts, it is generally believed that the Islamic position is that "Muslims" will find salvation and happiness in the next life, and that all others are doomed to hellfire.

One saying in vogue among the Muslims is that "the worst Muslim is better than the best Christian" [Ft. 1] allegedly because the 'Muslim' will recite the Shahaadah at various times in life as well as when close to death, thus securing a place in Paradise. [Ft. 2]

It is our hope to examine the Quranic teaching in whole on this subject, to determine the validity of these common assertions, and perhaps, God-willing, offer an explanation that will put to rest this question, among my fellow-Muslims- and Non-Muslims- for their information and consideration, as a source of assistance spiritually.

Islam

It is a common misconception that Islam first entered the human sphere with the coming of the Qur'an to the Prophet Muhammad :saws:. This is a view that is not supported by the Qur'an. [Ft. 3]

The Qur'an asserts that all of the prior scriptures and messengers taught the same religion, i.e. Islam. One example reads:

" Say: We believe in God, and what has been revealed to us, and to Abraham, Ishmael, Issac and Jacob-in that given to Moses, Jesus and all the Prophets-We make no distinction between anyone of them and we are for him submissive [Muslimoon]" [ 2:136]

"The road established for you in that religion was also enjoined upon Noah..and that given to Abraham, Moses and Jesus. Stand firm in religion, do not make division in it.."[ 42:13]

This "Islam" is not the Islam found in contemporary Muslim practice! The Al-Faatihah [Qur'an Surah #1], central to prayer as conducted by today's Muslim practice- was not central to prayer as conducted by Abraham, Moses and the other prophets, as The Qur'an had yet to come to the world.

Islam is an Arabic word meaning "Submission to God". Similarly, the word "Muslim" is a rather generic term describing one who does the act of submission [see fts. 4-5]

Muhammad ibn 'Abdullah, upon whom be peace, born in the year 570 C.E. in Makkah, Arabian peninsula, was simply the last and final Prophet, to whom God sent the final book, known as the Qur'an. He is the exemplar model as to how the Qur'an should be put into practice. [Ft. 6]

The Qur'an and Muhammad are simply the completion of the entire process of revelation and teachers, a continuation of that sublime legacy, not a new religion or a faith different from that taught before.

"This day I have perfected your Deen for you, completed by favour upon you, and chosen for you Islam as your Deen" [ Qur'an 5:3] [ft. 7]

for remainder of article, click on http://islaminviewforum.com/index.php?sh...#entry1245
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2008, 04:07 AM
RE: Deen [religion] in the presence of God
Hey shamsuddin, I think it is inclusive, for this day I have perfected your deen for you.

This is very interesting. Can you tell me what you think about this when related to your own text.

Will you all teach god your religion? What exists in the entire creation, he is aware of who lives in the universe. It will never be accepted for him. The end.
It is our job to examine the validility of these common assertions, and perhaps offer an answer that will put this question to rest.
One who does the act of submission. Simply the completion of the entire process of revelation and teachers, a continuation of that sublime process.

Therefore my answer is inclusive, but other opinions are always important.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2008, 04:19 AM
George Wrote:Hey shamsuddin, I think it is inclusive, for this day I have perfected your deen for you.

This is very interesting. Can you tell me what you think about this when related to your own text.

Will you all teach god your religion? What exists in the entire creation, he is aware of who lives in the universe. It will never be accepted for him. The end.
It is our job to examine the validility of these common assertions, and perhaps offer an answer that will put this question to rest.
One who does the act of submission. Simply the completion of the entire process of revelation and teachers, a continuation of that sublime process.

Therefore my answer is inclusive, but other opinions are always important.

Hi George!

I have read your post, but I don't understand it. Are you asking my views on whether questioning assertions is a valid action according to Islam?

If that is the question, then my answer is that the Qur'an itself,over and over again, urges its readers to seek answers for themselves and not just accept the common run of things if it is damaging spiritually.

Questioning, and investigation, are actually tools that increase one's faith, at least according to the Qur'an.

There are more writing about these sort of subjects, especially as it relates to the Qur'an, on my blog shamsuddinwaheed.blogspot.com

Come to think of it, I gave a lecture that's available on Cd called "Quranic spirituality" in which this particular subject was examined in great detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
S.Waheed
05-13-2008, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2008 11:51 PM by George.)
Hey shamsuddin, a question asked but no answer found.

In realtion to your blog spot, I am sure it is good, but this is more interesting. Within this forum there are many opinions, all of which hold balance.

Questioning, and inverstigation are tools that increase one's knowledge, thus increasing one's wisdom.

But who are the truely wise?

For me, it seems that many books have explained the essence of truth, but they will not accept that truth for themselves. History has proven this, and it continues today, but our time must come.

In the above post I did not ask a question, I was answering your question, inclusive or exclusive?

My answer was inclusive, or is it exclusive.

What is your answer to your own question.

Exclusive or Inclusive?
05-14-2008, 03:34 AM
George Wrote:Hey shamsuddin, a question asked but no answer found.

In realtion to your blog spot, I am sure it is good, but this is more interesting. Within this forum there are many opinions, all of which hold balance.

Questioning, and inverstigation are tools that increase one's knowledge, thus increasing one's wisdom.

But who are the truely wise?

For me, it seems that many books have explained the essence of truth, but they will not accept that truth for themselves. History has proven this, and it continues today, but our time must come.

In the above post I did not ask a question, I was answering your question, inclusive or exclusive?

My answer was inclusive, or is it exclusive.

What is your answer to your own question.

Exclusive or Inclusive?

Dear George,

Of course, it was my original assertion that "Deen" in God's presence is inclusive, and the remainder of the article, which can be found both on my blog and at the link at the bottom of the original post, explained that more, with special attention being given to Qur'anic teachings.

Books [scripture is perhaps more appropriate here] are tools to gain wisdom, not necessarily an end goal in itself. In other words, a person can memorize a book, but if that book does not lead him or her to explore and grow, then either they have not read the book properly, or the book they are reading is not appropriate for them.

I hope I have understood your points.

Regards,
S.Waheed
05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey Waheed, my friend you wage a good discussion. I will visit your site, with respect to Allah.

we have understood

May we have interesting discussion in the future.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)